Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow Builders,

This idea isn't anything new but I decided to post it for those who might have not thought to do it.

There are situations where washers are used center rod ends on the control weldments and bellcranks throughout the RV's. If you haven't experienced trying to get some of these washers in position it can be very time consuming and frustrating.

One very simple solution is to glue them to the weldment. I decided to do this after some very frustrating washer moments.

Even though you may never need to take a pushrod out, or remove a bellcrank, gluing the washers in place will help with the initial installation.

I used JB weld (good stuff) and clamped the washer in place with a bolt while curing. Took a little time but it is well worth it.

Bonded washers1.JPG

Enjoy,

Another way

What I have done is use a corner of masking tape on the washer and then lower them into place. It works well for me.

Dave Syvertson

I use Marine contact cement. It dries quick and can be used on your finger to hold those smaller nuts and to glue washers to the nut. use sparingly.

I am guilty of gluing the washers with EZ-lube myself. It's pain in the neck to insert them. My question is - how Big Boys are doing it building certified airplanes? Of course we have rights to experiment but is it approved method by the book? Should those washers have some sort of rotational capability? If somebody has a theory please chime in.

No rotation required

The washers are in compression and don't rotate once installed. Therefore securing in place (gluing) isn't an issue.

Paul