JCN247DE

Well Known Member
I'm flying my Dad from (I-74) Urbana, Ohio down to Athens, Texas (F44) this weekend in my -7A.

Anyone on the list based there?

We're visiting his friend that he hasn't seen in 30 years. Nothing like sharing the love in an RV!

Jeff - Tiffin, OH 16G

WX outlook

We're planning to leave Sat. mid morning and it looks like most of it will be past the route by then.

We won't do anything crazy and will keep an eye on the XM in the cockpit.

thanks...

There is a great restaurant on the downtown square you shouldn't miss. Their specialty is a lightly fried chicken breast over rice, smothered with a mound of black-eyed peas. Be sure to top it off with their homemade bananna pudding.

Thanks for the good eats tip!

Craig,

How did you know I fly on my stomach? That place sounds outstanding. We're driving up to Tool, TX... so, we should get to take in the local sights as well.

Jeff

Athens, TX

In June 2001, I made a fuel stop at F44 based on the recommendation of a fellow RV-er. At that time there were two FBO's selling fuel at F44. The one in the middle of the field was operated by (IIRC) Mr. Carroll Dycus (sp?) . I just checked AirNav and it lists only the other FBO, so I don't know if Mr. Dycus is still selling fuel or not. I do remember that the local EAA chapter met in the back of his building. You might check it out. I don't know about the other FBO; they could be good folks to do business with, too.
On my return leg, I stopped again (on Sunday afternoon) and got the same top-notch service. (Should I mention the fuel price at that time was $1.75! :eek: Oh, for the good ole days!!)
Maybe some of the local Texans can fill in the blanks.
Hope this helps.
Don

Jeff -

Post pics of the trip, including in-cockpit (panel stuff). I'm jones-in'!!

If you have time and are up on your short field work, come over and stop in at ShortStop (1500'). I'm redoing the panel on my -6 and also have a -9A at about 90% in my shop. ShortStop is on the sectional halfway between Greenville and McKinney (northwest of Athens). 122.75Mhz, 972-784-7544

Thanks for the invite

Mel,

I appreciate the invite. A good example of that Texas hospitality that I hear so much about!

We'll see how the schedule goes, although if you folks got as much rain as we did last night up here in OH I don't think my nose dragger would like a soggy, short sod strip.

My hangar floor is covered in 1/2' of H2O right now.

Thanks again...

Jeff

My strip is packed chrushed white rock. It dries out with a day's sun (which we got today). You can take a look at it on airnav.com. Look up 8TA5.

Athens, TX Trip???

Jeff,
Just wondering if you made the trip...???
Don

Last edited: