Flienlow

This is the worst RV site ever! Ain't nothin' but a bunch of fools taking about airplanes! Where's the Winnebago?s, Jayco's, or Holiday Ramblers?

Seriously, I'm a newbie from Washington just checking in. I have always thought building my own aircraft would be the ultimate stamp on my Man card. It is just really difficult for me to decide if this is an endeavor I want to undertake. I have heard a lot about RVs in the past and have seen a few hear in there but know little about them other than I hear they are extremely fun to fly. I have also been told that they are extremely tedious to build as well.
I have been looking at the Zenith aircraft line as it seems they are a pretty stout (and ugly) STOL Aircraft that are reasonably easy to build (speaking of the CH750.)I figure building an airplane must be like eating an elephant- You do it one bite at a time.
Anyhow, hope I am welcome to hang out here and ask a few dumb questions from time to time?

Thank you,
Justin

While VAF is mostly an aviation site, we do like RV's of all kinds.

spaceballs.jpg

Welcome to the club and sorry about your wallet.:D

Go for it

Build an empanage and see if you like the process.
If your a good craftsman and do a good job you can always
sell it if you decide not to go further. It's a lot of fun if you
enjoy building things and new challenges.
Buy some used tools. Prime the interior.

So what is required as far as special tools? (aside from the average Mechanics tool box)

I know you will need a good compressor, air drill, rivet gun, bucking bar, and drill press. But what other major investments are needed?

Major Investment

There are only two major investments you need:
1. $50 for the Preview Plans for the RV model of your choice. This will answer most of your questions about tools needed, space needed, craftsmanship, etc. See Van's website for details.
2. Go to the factory and get a "free" ride in the model of your choice. Most people find out later it's really a $60K "free" ride because many people order the empennage kit and then the remainder of the kits after the "free" ride.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

I'm a newbie from Washington just checking in. I hope I am welcome to hang out here and ask a few dumb questions from time to time?

Justin

Justin, welcome to VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

Only dumb question is the one you did not ask-----so fire away.

P.S., I do have a Titanium fifth wheel for sale

So what is required as far as special tools? (aside from the average Mechanics tool box)

I know you will need a good compressor, air drill, rivet gun, bucking bar, and drill press. But what other major investments are needed?

There a a lot of small tools you will need. Best bet is to by one of the RV tool kits available from a number of vendors. Expect 2-3K worth of tools assuming you already have all the basic stuff (wrenches, screwdrivers, ect). You can start off without having all the tools, but the best way to get your feet wet is a builder workshop. You will learn the skills you need and get to use someone elses tools to get started.

Hey Justin-
there are quite a few RVer's in the great northwest. Go vist some of them---see the RV White pages that Audrey does here. Go to Vans factory. Stop--Look--Listen--enjoy!. For alot of us this hasnt been a snap decision--well maybe it was but getting the head and the bank account to line up is sometimes an issue. Read what others have written----the answer is right in front of you!
Tom

Girls

Yep! Carol was a big help building the 'Borrowed Horse' RV8. She shot most of the rivits and helped in a 100 other ways.

Justin,

First, welcome to VAF! Come on down to Oregon and visit Vans for the tour and a ride. You'll love it! I live about 25 min. away and I would enjoy a visit. I'll show you my project and answer any and all questions that I can. :)

Yep!

Hey, Roberta, I've got one of those woman cards too! :p
And I'm still building along, but I'm getting closer! The forums here provide lots of help, ideas, support, inspiration, and comic relief...
Welcome, Justin!

I am pretty far from being an aeronautical engineer, but it is my understand that the CH750 has about the same glide ratio as a ?78 Itasca.

Welcome

Seriously, I'm a newbie from Washington just checking in. I have always thought building my own aircraft would be the ultimate stamp on my Man card. It is just really difficult for me to decide if this is an endeavor I want to undertake.

(As mentioned, consider doing the empennage construction to know if you want to complete an RV)

I have been looking at the Zenith aircraft line as it seems they are a pretty stout (and ugly) STOL Aircraft that are reasonably easy to build (speaking of the CH750.)I figure building an airplane must be like eating an elephant- You do it one bite at a time.
Anyhow, hope I am welcome to hang out here and ask a few dumb questions from time to time?

Thank you,
Justin

The CH750 has nice STOL numbers, although it does not even come close to the cruise speed of an RV. Also, RV's are very economical for travel. Different planes for different missions.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome aboard.

Pick your poison

Justin, your first airplane project decision is what the mission is going to be. Just like land based RV's, airplanes have different mission capabilities. Want to go low and slow on beach patrol, short hops around the area, economical engine, etc then maybe you want a high wing and a Rotax type of engine. (Although the RV-12 fills this mission nicely also). Say you decide to use the aircraft for longer distance travel you might want something a little faster. .... (or a lot faster in my case; I went from a 1946 Taylorcraft to an RV-6, 95 mph cruise to 200 cruise)

You get the idea. Decide the mission that the airplane will be used for most of the time and then pick what you are going to build.

Terry, is spot on - Go to Oregon and take a free ride! I will never regret nor forget the day in 2004 that I went for a ride in Van's RV10. Of course building the 10 is taking me WAY longer than I was hoping for, however, the process is enjoyable and I can't wait to fly it in 2016!

I am pretty far from being an aeronautical engineer, but it is my understand that the CH750 has about the same glide ratio as a ?78 Itasca.
And it has the distinction of looking no better after it's finished than it did when the parts were still in the box.

Practical as all heck, but I can't get over the impression that they only fly because the earth repels them.

And it has the distinction of looking no better after it's finished than it did when the parts were still in the box.

Practical as all heck, but I can't get over the impression that they only fly because the earth repels them.

The reason I was looking at the ch750 was cost and the ease of building. This plane could also become a float plane in the future as well. I have little interest in clutter up my garage forever with airplane parts so I would want to complete the job and get it finished. It is my understanding this is a ?relatively ? easy plane to build but I am no expert. This would also get my feet wet to building a aircraft. Can an average guy with NO experience successfully complete an RV build?