Doug Rodrigues

I took my O-360A1D crankcase to the only business in town that does glass bead blasting. I wanted the exterior of the case blasted so as to have a fresh surface on which to apply paint. I instructed the blaster to focus on the outside of the case only and warned him to stay away from any machined surface inside the case. Two hours late I returned to find everything blasted: the outside, the inside including the main webs and the cam webs!! :eek: I freaked and had a few words with the business owner. DivCo in Tulsa said that they can fix it. I sure hope so?

The lesson learned here is to NEVER have ANYTHING done to ANY aircraft engine part by ANY business not specializing in aircraft engines!

Last edited:
blandsasting protocol

ummmmmm, what planet was the blaster from?
I don't think you have to be an aircraft engine expert to know what a bearing journal is!!!!!!
As an education for those of us that may try something similar, wouldn't you also have to put a bolt in every threaded hole, to keep the blasting from buggering up the threads??? I guess that is a 'machined' surface, but there are sooooo many, is it even worth blasting?
Is just a hot-tank type solvent treatment as good, or better?

By the time they "true" the mating surfaces and line bore the journals to factory tolerances, I suspect it will be OK.

As an added bonus, it will come back with a bright gold alodined finish all ready to paint!

The guy probably thought he was doing a great job too.

Kind of like the guy that sanded down all the AN470 rivets on that King Air during paint prep.:eek:

Dooh!

I took my O-360A1D crankcase to the only business in town that does glass bead blasting. I wanted the exterior of the case blasted so as to have a fresh surface on which to apply paint. I instructed the blaster to focus on the outside of the case only and warned him to stay away from any machined surface inside the case. Two hours late I returned to find everything blasted: the outside, the inside including the main webs and the cam webs!! :eek: I freaked and had a few words with the business owner. DivCo in Tulsa said that they can fix it. I sure hope so?

The lesson learned here is to NEVER have ANYTHING done to ANY aircraft engine part by ANY business not specializing in aircraft engines!

Doug,
Engine crankcases [auto and aircraft] should never have the insides glass beaded. The accepted blasting media is crushed walnut shells. VW had a rash of problems back in the 1960s due to overhaul shops glass beading their crankcases. The problem is that the glass bead is VERY hard and abrasive. It gets embedded into the aluminum. Once the engine is heated during running, the aluminum expands. This allows the pores in the aluminum to open. When this happens, it is possible for some of the glass bead to fall out. It goes into the oil and wrecks havoc on the engine, as the oil spreads it throughout. You might want to talk to a Lycoming engineer about this.
FYI
Charlie Kuss

I would definitely talk to Lycoming on what to do next. I had an auto engine blasted, but not cleaned properly afterwards. Those beads wore away my lifters, cam, and snowballed after that...fodding out the engine with less than 3,000 miles on it. Only plus side was that with a car, you can pull over....

A walnut shell blast also removes less materal so is safer on more critical areas (though I'd still never blast a bearing journal). When I worked in a machine shop for a bit we only used walnut shell media on engine parts (car and motorcycle). We used glass or sand on steel chassis parts where contamination and tollerances are generally less an issue (and rust more an issue). I'm not sure how bad glass is on engine parts - I know sand can be very bad, but tdon't know much about glass.

Doug,
Engine crankcases [auto and aircraft] should never have the insides glass beaded. The accepted blasting media is crushed walnut shells. VW had a rash of problems back in the 1960s due to overhaul shops glass beading their crankcases. The problem is that the glass bead is VERY hard and abrasive. It gets embedded into the aluminum. Once the engine is heated during running, the aluminum expands. This allows the pores in the aluminum to open. When this happens, it is possible for some of the glass bead to fall out. It goes into the oil and wrecks havoc on the engine, as the oil spreads it throughout. You might want to talk to a Lycoming engineer about this.
FYI
Charlie Kuss

I would definitely talk to Lycoming on what to do next. I had an auto engine blasted, but not cleaned properly afterwards. Those beads wore away my lifters, cam, and snowballed after that...fodding out the engine with less than 3,000 miles on it. Only plus side was that with a car, you can pull over....

I was going to say something along these lines, but you guys beat me to it. IMHO the case is junk.

If Divco says it can be fixed, it can be fixed. Provided that after they align bore and flycut it again you can still get the minimum deck height.

I've heard of this exact thing happening with other engines, a good hot tanking and scrubbing with scotchbrite should get any glass embedded in the case out.

If Divco says it can be fixed, it can be fixed. Provided that after they align bore and fly cut it again you can still get the minimum deck height.

I've heard of this exact thing happening with other engines, a good hot tanking and scrubbing with ScotchBrite should get any glass embedded in the case out.

Bob,
Do you mean "cold tanking"? I had always understood that "hot tanking" was for iron and steel parts, not aluminum. My preferred method of cleaning aluminum parts is to cold [chemical cleaning] tank them. This involves soaking the parts in methyl chloride.
Charlie

I looked very closely at the surface finish. It was rough but didn't appear to have any glass beads embedded. I was almost sick over this but now accept it as a "learning experience." I'll never do that again.

About 20 years ago I did get a freshly overhauled O-360 back from an overhaul shop located in San Carlos Airport, California. After the first flight I noticed that the oil pressure dropped to zero during idle. Didn't make sense to me? I thought that perhaps the oil pressure regulator wasn't adjusted properly. In the process of going to add a washer under the spring to increase pressure, I noticed something in the oil.....glass beads. Somebody didn't do a thorough enough job of cleaning out the oil galleries. They got the engine back.

Not to second guess any of the valuable opinions of the members on here, but I am sure divco's opinion might be a little more valuable. I think they have the experience to deal with this.

http://www.divcoinc.com/default.asp

He is doing the right thing sending it to a FAA approved station. Thay can make the call.

I looked very closely at the surface finish. It was rough but didn't appear to have any glass beads embedded. I was almost sick over this but now accept it as a "learning experience." I'll never do that again.

About 20 years ago I did get a freshly overhauled O-360 back from an overhaul shop located in San Carlos Airport, California. After the first flight I noticed that the oil pressure dropped to zero during idle. Didn't make sense to me? I thought that perhaps the oil pressure regulator wasn't adjusted properly. In the process of going to add a washer under the spring to increase pressure, I noticed something in the oil.....glass beads. Somebody didn't do a thorough enough job of cleaning out the oil galleries. They got the engine back.

Let us know what Divco says. I'll be interested to know the outcome.

Bob,
Do you mean "cold tanking"? I had always understood that "hot tanking" was for iron and steel parts, not aluminum. My preferred method of cleaning aluminum parts is to cold [chemical cleaning] tank them. This involves soaking the parts in methyl chloride.
Charlie

I've had aluminum parts hot tanked at a drag engine shop, the process they used was safe on aluminum.

Cover surfaces that should not be blasted!

We do a lot of steel grit blasting on structural steel, at work. If there is any parts that should not be blasted, they are taped with a rubbery kind of special tape. Maybe you should have done this with the important surfaces also.

Regards, Tonny.

Bob & Lance,
I merely wanted to make Doug aware that embedded glass shot can be an issue.

Bob,
My knowledge of "hot" tanking is so "last" century. I would appreciate any info anyone could provide as to how these processes differ today. I'm sure that they do, due to EPA regulation.

Doug,
Like Larry, I am very interested to know how Divco plans to handle your problem. I agree that Divco does excellent work.

Charlie

Bob & Lance,
I merely wanted to make Doug aware that embedded glass shot can be an issue.

Bob,
My knowledge of "hot" tanking is so "last" century. I would appreciate any info anyone could provide as to how these processes differ today. I'm sure that they do, due to EPA regulation.

Doug,
Like Larry, I am very interested to know how Divco plans to handle your problem. I agree that Divco does excellent work.

Charlie

Here you go Charlie.

http://www.eldoradochem.com/immersion-cleaners.htm

Particularly this stuff here:

http://www.eldoradochem.com/pb/HT-2230-PB.pdf

Bob,
Great links! Thanks. I know about Eldorado. They make DuradoKote [competitor to Alodine & Iriditite]
Charlie

Wow, I'm amazed. I got a call from Divco today. "Hurshall" at Divco spoke with me and said, "No Problem. You'll get the case back in perfect condition when we get done." I was ready to toss it into the trash. Glad I didn't.:eek:

I have a buddy of mine that ruined a O-200 just because of that.

Its impossible to rid the case of all of the beads.

They get in the oil and ruin the pistons and cylinders.

Sorry to hear the bad news. I wonder what the guy was thinking????

That would be like sending your car in for paint and picking it up with the windows and tires painted too.