Ecneps

I'm New Here
Just wondering if anyone has installed and had luck with Thielert engines on an RV? I'm thinking about building either a RV 7A or a RV 10. If I was to go with the RV 7A the good fuel economy of the Thirlert engine would be very nice for cross country trips since it burns considerible less then a AVGAS engine. So anyone had much luck????

The 7 might be a bit underpowered with the Thielert, though it would be about right for a 9. It's my understanding that Thielert will not sell to the experimental market - only through OEM or FWF kits through OEM - anyone else care to confirm/deny that? I would love to put a Thielert in a 9A also.

Everything is currently as Greg said. However there are rumors, that there might be something coming between Thielert's current models (1.7 and 4.0). I guess they build their engines from Mercedes cores and Mercedes has suitable core which might turn into Thielert model. Also if Lycoming is coming with diesel some day that might interest also Thielert to compete also in experimental market. I guess for the facts and truth we just have to wait and see -- hopefully not for long.

Yes, that 135 hp diesel sounds perfect for a 9/9A, as long as the weight is reasonable. Maybe in 3-4 years something like that will be available...

Don't forget cooling drag

It is water cooled right?

Will not be a free lunch in my estimation.

Frank

airguy said:
The 7 might be a bit underpowered with the Thielert, though it would be about right for a 9. It's my understanding that Thielert will not sell to the experimental market - only through OEM or FWF kits through OEM - anyone else care to confirm/deny that? I would love to put a Thielert in a 9A also.

I had an e-mail conversation with someone at Thielert and you are correct, they will not sell their engine to an individual builder. They are interested in forging relationships with kit manufacturers, but I see little chance of Van's buying into the idea.

The Thielert weighs in at around 300 lbs. The I recall the Cessna conversions add around 50 or 60 lbs to the aircraft weight.

For a 9 don't overlook the Wilksch diesel - 220 lbs / 120 HP. One has flown in the UK (having some cooling mods done) and another one is awaiting permit to test fly.

This is the one awaiting permit to test fly. Built buy Steve Arnold in the UK.

gcdcd1.jpg

This one weighs in at 1050 lbs, the other (more complex) installation at 1070 lbs. Both have rather heavy "prototype standard" cowls rather than lightweight snazzy pre-preg.

Dave B

Edited to add aircraft weights

Last edited:
Thielert 3.2 230 HP engine planned for 2008

As I'm planning to start building my RV next year I spend some time thinking about power plants.

A diesel engine would be first choice as I think it will be the best investment for the future, especially for European needs.

Unfortunately Thielert sells their engines only firewall forward trough OEM, so let's hope there will be a collaboration with Vans quite soon.

While checking the Thielert press releases I found a note that they are developing a new liquid cooled 3.2 litre diesel plant with 230 hp. First flight is planned for mid 2007, production for 2008. Sounds like it is basing on the Mercedes Benz 3.2 CDI V6 engine.

http://www.thielert.com