R

Richard Suffoletto

I'm thinking of upgrading my panel from steam gages to possibly D10's or possibly some other EFIS / EMS system. My thought is to build up another panel and then just swap it out... Sounds easy but in thinking about it, I can see all kinds of potential problem areas. Just wondered what those who have upgraded their panels thought and would they do it again...

Upgrading the panel

Hello Richard.

I am years from putting in my panel but upgrading is something that I'm thinking about as well. My plans are to put a Dynon FD180 with a minimum of steam backups. Putting the cart WAAAAAY before the horse, what if the technology changes significantly enough that I want to go with different equipment?

It may be as simple as buying another unit and slipping it in or it may be a panel rebuild. At this point I'm getting way ahead of myself but I still would like to know what others have done or plan to do as well. I only hope that someone with experience responds to your request - sorry it wasn't me.

Generally speaking, absolutely make the panel as modular and "plug-in" as possible.

I'm on my third panel and have been thinking about a fourth. Just don't forget panel strength when you start making those giant cut-outs for those fancy new glass displays. Keep plenty of length on your leads to allow easy connection behind/under the panel without stressing the connections too.