redflys

I'm New Here
Been lurking for a while and admired the RV10s at Osh Kosh the last couple of years. Sold my spam can and ready to buy a ready to fly RV10 and wanted to see of any you may know of available for sale and also RV 10 owner what should I be looking out for etc.

Red

I would take a look at several places. Start in the classifieds here and then look on Barnstormers.com. There are also quite a few RV's on tradeaplane.com. There was a estate sale on a RV10 in FL that looked like a very nice plane that could be had for well under 150k. Its a great time to be a buyer however if you have a current aircraft to sell it comes out in the wash. I am amazed at the number of available RV's and how low the actual sale prices are coming in. You might also just google RV10 and sale.

George

Find the one you like and......

Every RV-10 is for sale, maybe not mine, but there was one RV-10 sold at Oshkosh that did not have a for sale sign on it.
Depending on the amount your willing to pay you can pick up an incredible aircraft for less than half the cost of a Cirrus.
In this market I bet you could twist the arm of almost anyone so don't just look at the ones for sale.

You're going about this the right way and will no doubt find a nice RV-10. While most all of them are nice planes, there can be a huge variation in many things. Truth be told, many of the best planes never make it to the open market and are usually purchased at a small premium because they are not on the market. There are good ones out there for sale, but beware of equipment that is installed, engines, props, etc.. against asking price and most importantly get an experienced RV-10 person to look at whatever plane you intend to purchase before you buy it. The most recent RV10 sale that I'm aware of wasn't for sale - but like Scott said...everything has it's price! :)

Good luck on your search, you'll really love the RV10.

Cheers,
Stein

Go for it! My advice is to focus on build quality and not get too distracted by the bells and whistles. You can always swap/upgrade equipment to meet your needs. Also be sure to check the vans website for service bulletins and make sure they have been complied with. In particular, check for the rudder hinge mod and the rear bulkhead doublers.

If you need a pilot/instructor to provide transition training, I had great experience with Steve Flattum, 815-519-3087. He's provided transition training for dozens of experimentals, including several RV-10s.

You can also give me a shout if your new bird requires any composite work or if you need to add a cargo pod or motorcycle. www.MotorcyclePilot.com

Good luck!

transition training

Check out Alex DeDominici in the Dallas area. He is a fantastic instructor and has an awesome RV-10 for training!!! Good luck with your search.

Alex

We used Alex for transition training when we bought an RV10 earlier this year. Alex does a good/excellent jog of transition training. We each had 350 hours in an RV7a and he did a great job with RV10 transition training. We put 65 hours on our RV10 this summer with no issues.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback and tips. I have talked to a few people that tell me you can buy a 10 in todays world.

Is the door SB a mandatory or voluntary issue ?

Will my insurance carrier care if it is done ?

If you read the RV-10 forums, you will find that this is a sensitive issue. There have been a large number of doors lost in flight... at least considering the size of the RV-10 fleet. The factory initially developed a door indicator light and more recently designed a redundant safety latch. The factory solution is simple, yet sore on the eyes. Other folks have developed a variety of solutions that you might want to consider.

Many pilots refuse to modify their airplane and insist the door cannot open if properly latched. This is technically true... but this approach depends on an infallible pilot. I personally prefer a safety latch but, legally speaking you are free to do whatever you wish.