Brantel

Well Known Member
I am thinking about using either a Garmin 300XL or 155XL with my planned Dynon panel along with the HS34 ARINC interface.

My goal is to be able to file /G and shoot the occasional non-precision GPS approach.

That being said, the Dynon's EHSI and the HS34 can take care of the CDI and Nav source switching but I will need to make an annunciator for the GPS.

Anyone done this for either of these GPS's and if so, got any ideas or details on how you went about it. The installation manual gives good details on how to wire the descrete switches and lights so that is not a problem. Looking for input on the best button/pilot lights etc to use and how to label them.

Don't want to spend the $800 on a factory made one, this is too simple to spend that kind of money on an annuciator plus I don't need the CDI switching functions of the ready made ones.

But if someone knows of a cheaper annunciator without the CDI switching, please provide info!

Anyone see any downsides to this type of thinking other than not being able to shoot precision GPS approaches?

The 400/420 are just to dang expensive for what you get. Might as well go with a 430 for the money they want for those.

Last edited:
300XL

If you want to shoot approaches, you need the 300 - the 150 is VFR only.
I have a 300XL hooked up to a GRT Sport. I went with an AK059L for the annunciator panel. The "L" is because it doesn't have the swtiches for the CDI and cost $527 from Stark Avionics a couple of years ago. By the time you do switches and placards and lights I figured I wouldn't save a whole lot rolling my own, and it would take a lot of effort to make something as small and nice looking. So unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for switches/lights...
I also have an SL30 if I ever need to shoot a precision approach. The Sport displays both the VOR/ILS and GPS CDI's simultaneously, which is really nice.

Thanks Dennis,

I am looking at either the 300XL or the 155XL both are IFR GPS's with the 300XL adding the com.

I looked at the AK950L and does it not still have the CDI select button on it? I really don't want that extra button that will end up doing nothing. If it does not have it, that would be what I want. Do you have a pic of yours?

The Dynon can also take care of the EHSI display and the nav source switching showing both the GPS CDI and VOR RMI needles from the SL30 at the same time.

Last edited:
You can find product pictures on line of course...

Everywhere I find a pic, I see conflicting information... Yours helps but do the Seq mode indicators/button say CRS on the button and OBS & LEG or SEQ on the button and AUTO and HOLD?

This may be of some help

Hi Brian,
I am using this annunciator.

MSI 97-10344A(V/T/R)
INSSDUIII

I was able to download the installation manual from their web site and it has the wiring information for the various interconnects on a Garmin 300XL. I am basically using only the lights and switches on mine since I had to do a printed circuit board for other stuff and put all the relays on there. If you can't find the manual on the web shoot me an email and I'll send the pdf version to you.

Paul Cz (pczar3)
N694BP reserved

Last edited:
Seq - Auto/Hold

Everywhere I find a pic, I see conflicting information... Yours helps but do the Seq mode indicators/button say CRS on the button and OBS & LEG or SEQ on the button and AUTO and HOLD?
Mine says Seq - Auto/Hold.
Next time I'm at the airport I'll get a better picture...

Brian,
I'm using a Mid Continent MD41-1444 with my Garmin 300XL. I mounted it on top of the glareshield and made a clamp bracket to hold it. I also have a Dynon FD 180 so I didn't hook anything up to the GPS/NAV source switch. The unit came with the GPS. Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.mcico.com/pdf/7019813 MD41-144X.pdf

Rocky

I have a 300XL in my panel, built by Aerotronics. They built me a GPS display panel with LEDs and switches, I'd be happy to take a picture if you want to see what they did for me.