N64GH

Well Known Member
Patron
I was thinking about flying out to Florida in May. My eventual destination is someplace called Plantation Key or Tavenier Key not sure if they are one in the same but heck I don't even know what the heck a "Key" is. Up to today the farthest I have ventured away from good old KCCB (in California) is KIFP on the border of Cal and Arizona). SO I thought I would ask for some suggestions as to route (from the Los Angeles area) and where the heck to tuck 64HG in for 4 or 5 days. Inside would be nice:) Hopefully some of you experienced dudes/dude-ets can help me out (0 experience) at staying away from home with my little bird, or flying very far from home.

welcome

Mike,

Welcome to Florida in advance. A key, or cay, is just another name for an island. The Florida Keys is a string of small islands linked together by a road, US 1 which starts at Key West. Residents are called Conchs (pronounced conk) and the area is referred to as the "Conch Republic". You can buy a flag there with a conch shell on it.

Tavenier is said to be named for a french pirate who sailed under Jean Laffite (sp). Another story was that a shipwrecked sailor waded ashore there and asked "is there a tavern near". I prefer to believe the first.

Tavenier is located, if my memory serves correctly, just south of Key Largo. To get prepared for the adventure you may want to rent the movie Key Largo with Bogart. Good tunes to listen to during you flight would be the A1A albumn of Jimmy Buffett.

While in that area you will want to fly down and spend a day in Key West.

If you are a diver, you will love the area. The best reef diving in the country.

On the way down, you might want to stop at Cedar Key on the west coast of Florida for lunch if your schedule accomodates that.

One word of warning. If you have not had your aircraft registered for over 6 months in another state, and have not paid the tax in your state, beware. The dept of revenue in Florida has taken the position that if you have not paid sales tax in your state and have not had your airplane registered there for at least 6 months, they can make you pay a "use" tax for using your airplane in the sunshine state. The chances of having that problem are very slim, but it does exist and you should know about it.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Mike:

You probably won't come this far north, but if you do I can get you in my hangar (unless my hangar partner buys a new plane before then -- not likely). We are at KLZU, just northeast of Atlanta.

Send me a PM if interested.

Best,
Jamie

I use the Air Chart Systems Aviation Topo Atlas instead of individual sectionals.

Get the Low Altitude IFR planing chart that has the entire US on both sides for a big picture.

I also use the Flight guide books but the AOPA airport directory may suffice.

Use airnav.com for fuel prices.

Consider weathermeister.com for big picture flight planning each day.

Consider the trip a series of shorter cross-countries that you have already done.

Realize that smaller airports for overnight stays may not be open or have a way to get to a hotel

Go to AOPA.ORG and take the free courses on Mountain Flying and Weather

MOST IMPORTANT: NEVER EVER continue if the conditions are bad. If your options are "dead (because you continued when you should have landed)" and "delayed," choose delayed.

Also read this: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24383&highlight=bahamas

Last edited:
Feel free to stop by Charlotte county airport (KPGD). We are located between Sarasota and Ft Myers. I think the closest airport is Marathon, I think. There used to be one in Key Largo many years ago.

As stated earlier, if you can time your trip around Sun & Fun (Apr 8-13), you would add a lot to the trip

Ned
42TD

re:OKC overnight

You're welcome to stop in at 2OK2 on your way. I've got plenty of room in my hanger for you & could put you up for the night. Not much to do in OKC, but it's about 1/2 way. May be too far north but what the heck, you're out for fun anyway, aren't you.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 fuse/cabin top
N781DM

1. Air Chart Systems Aviation Topo Atlas - Cool I got those

Get the Low Altitude IFR planing chart t- Cool Got that

I also use the Flight guide - Cool I use that

Use airnav.com - I just found that and started to use it

Consider weathermeister.com - Cannot live here in SoCal and not use Dans way cool WX sight (shameless plug)

Consider the trip a series of shorter cross-countries - trouble my longest X-Country is only to KIFP. But that does make it sound more do able.

Realize that smaller airports for overnight stays may not be open or have a way to get to a hotel - Did not think of that.

Go to AOPA.ORG and take the free courses on Mountain Flying and Weather - Sounds like a great idea. New Mexico looks to be quite mountainous everything else looks flat.

MOST IMPORTANT: NEVER EVER continue if the conditions are bad. If your options are "dead (because you continued when you should have landed)" and "delayed," choose delayed. - Me big chicken this should not be a problem :)

Also read this: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24383&highlight=bahamas[/QUOTE]
I cannot get the link to work. I will search the bahammas. Would that be Paul Roseles article?

Well cool some of the stuff I have thought of and some I have not. Makes me a little more confident that it is do able. Off to read those articles - Thanks

COOL thanks.

Just looked at the first post so far. I take ATC with me, my better half is a controler at LAX so I at least got that covered :)

Back to reading.

Try the high altitude J charts for the bulk of your trip. Less paper. If you've got O2 on board and are comfortable at 15-19K, you should be able to take advantage of goods winds and much better nav reception.
Terry

Terry, GPS works just fine at ground level and 10,500' or so. No need to go to 15K and above for that :)

Flying high does have advantages with smoother air and less traffic. I always use flight following.

I flew to Titusville from Southern California

I flew there and back for the first SIR-C flight in Endeavour as part of STS-59. I wanted to visit Arkansas on the way out but my return flight was via Victor Airways with Jep charts and sectionals. I took the southern route. There is a mountain ridge along that route northeast of Tucson that requires your attention. There is another ridge just west of El Paso but there is a pass that goes down pretty low. If the weather forces you low you will have to contact El Paso Approach to transition the area. There are some mountains far to the east but on a VFR day you will hardly notice them because the are not as high as you are used to in the west. There are extensive restricted areas around in the area between El Paso and Albuquerque so you pretty much have to go over one of those cities to avoid the White Sands Missile Range. The same situation occurs in the Florida panhandle. There is a VFR corridor but I by-passed the area to the north and then turned down into Florida. I flew by or over Midland, Houston, Lake Charles and southern Alabama. With a stock RV fuel system I would plan three hour flight legs. If you have a moving map display I would open up the coverage enough to keep track of the airports being passed without getting so big a picture that all you see is clutter. Keep track of TFRs and other airspace that requires special navigation and communication. I would plan the flight and mark course redlines with 10 mile tic marks all the way. The pilotage education is something not to be missed.

Bob Axsom