Brambo

Well Known Member
I am building a -7a (std fuse/QB wings) and am starting to look at engines and have a few questions. Please forgive my ignorance about engines. I am considering a Lycoming XIO-360-A1B6 through Vans. As I understand it the ?I? in IO means that the engine is fuel injected. Does that mean that it comes complete with a fuel injection system? If so, what system does Lycoming use? Also, I understand that if using a FI engine the standard fuel pump from Vans is replaced by two boost pumps (located in the wing roots), are these pumps included with the engine or bought separately?

If I decide to go with a clone like Superior, same questions ? do these components generally come with the engine or are they purchased separately?

Bill Rambo
RV-7a (Fuselage)

The "I" does mean fuel injection. You should receive an engine-driven fuel pump and all of the plumbing from it to the cylinders including: fuel servo, injectors, distribution spider, and lines. Superior, Lycoming, Mattituck, and others I think provide the same parts, although the supplier might vary. I would guess Lycoming would use the Precision Airmotive "Bendix style" fuel servo. You'll need an electric "boost" pump as well. I think most builders buy the Airflow Performance pump and filter kit from Vans (pic below) that mounts just forward of the fuel selector. That is a high pressure pump versus the firewall-mounted Facet pump that carb installations use.

cat-med_fi-install.jpg

Fuel Injection options

'X ' means experimental, yep 'I' is injected, 'O' is opposed. Lycoming uses Bendix Servo style fuel injection. Air Flow Performance makes their own fuel inj as well as ECI and some others. One thing to think about is if you have fuel injection problems you need to think about parts for repairs if you get stranded at some airport far away. It's happened to me and I was lucky that the FBO had parts for my Bendix. Bendix has been around for years. I run a Bendix but the Airflow Performance is a much nicer quality piece and has a little performance gain. It looks a lot cooler too... I'd talk to Van's, Superior and Airflow Performance about the options. It's a matter of what you want and what you're willing to spend. Goodluck

Brambo said:
Also, I understand that if using a FI engine the standard fuel pump from Vans is replaced by two boost pumps (located in the wing roots), are these pumps included with the engine or bought separately?
Just one pump typically. You've got the engine-driven (mechanical) fuel pump, and ONE electric boost pump that gets used when starting the engine, during takeoff & landing (safety precaution), when switching tanks, and in the event of a mechanical pump failure.

The installation in a -7[A] couldn't be easier. Van's sells an installation kit for the AFP (Airflow Performance) electric boost pump and filter, which mounts it right in front of the fuel selector valve on the cockpit floor.

Brambo said:
I am considering a Lycoming XIO-360-A1B6 through Vans. RV-7a (Fuselage)

Well then stop considering immediately....:)

Seroiusly, you can get a much better by going to one of the Lyc clones...Exactly the same engines (one could argue they are better) for much less cost...>At least thats how it was when I was engine shopping.

Check out Mattituck, Superior and the Place in Canada that escapes me now...:)

Frank
7a Mattituck IO360 AFP, Emag/Pmag, Sam James cowl

frankh said:
Well then stop considering immediately....:)

the Place in Canada that escapes me now...:)

Frank
7a Mattituck IO360 AFP, Emag/Pmag, Sam James cowl

Aero Sport

Mike