FLYPTV

Hi Folks,

I am looking at finishing/buying an RV4. It has been quite sometime since I have been in one, and if I recall I only road in the back. I wasn't invited to try it on from the front seat. I can't seem to find anybody near by that still has a 4.

My concerns are if I'll fit in a -4. I know an -8 would be the best, but I have neither the time nor $$$ right now for an 8. I am 6 ft and 220, anybody out there flying a 4 that is this size? Is it too tight to be comfortable? Are there any seat adjustments?

What do you guys think? I would like to start with a 4 and maybe five or six years down the road start an -8. Thanks.

How big are you? Do you fly with a partner? How often? How big are they? How price sensitive are you?

I have a 4 and love it. I'm 165lb and fly 95% of the time alone.

Chuck

I am exactly 6 ft-220. I am building a -4 right now. I have sat in many and it depends on how you configure it as to how you fit. Don't hang any panel extension under the panel, don't put the radio stack between your legs in front of the stick and make the seat cushions fit YOU. I have been in the back of a -4 for my only ride in one and I actually am more comfortable back there than in the reat seat of 2 different 8s that I have been in. I am a regular passenger in 2 different 6s and they both fit as well. One better than the other because he built his to fit him and he is tall. If 6 ft/220 won't work in the front of a -4, I am in deep do-do! :eek:

Thanks. . . RVRC, sounds like it might work then. I may have to try and find a project with the fuselage far enough along that I can build it around my size.

Chuck, I'll probably be alone 70 - 80% of the time. I am 6ft and 220. I have ridden in the back of a 4, both seats L/R of a 6, and sat in the front of an 8. Not all that crazy about the stick position in the 8. I'll probably fly an hour a week and maybe go on a trip once a year.

I need to go try on a 4. I have been looking at some on the market. Thinking a 160 hp with a fixed metal prop, VFR day/night.

WhereRU ?

Where are you located ? That would help us determine if there is anyone near you that you could try on for size...

John

I am in Visalia, California. . .

I think I can find one near by. There are a lot of RV's near by. . . But, if anyone is near me and wants to get together. . . email me. . .

I am going to the Golden West fly in and can give you a ride in my -4 if you like. I built a -6A several years ago, have flown -8's as well. The -4 is my favorite of those three airplanes, by far. A little small, but if you are buying it strap on and fly, it's excellent. If you are buying to go cross country, not so good.

FLYPTV said:
Chuck, I'll probably be alone 70 - 80% of the time. I am 6ft and 220. I have ridden in the back of a 4, both seats L/R of a 6, and sat in the front of an 8. Not all that crazy about the stick position in the 8. I'll probably fly an hour a week and maybe go on a trip once a year.

The front and back of a -4 are totally different. When I am in back I feel like I'm in a pit, with poor visibility, in front it is wonderful. I have a long body so I sit quite tall for my weight. My head w/headset is very close to the canopy.

220lb sounds like a tight fit in a -4. Guess it depends on the distribution of that weight :) If the people that fly with you have a problem being in back that might be an issue too. I suspect that if you are doing acro and the like you will find the 4 a more responsive choice, they are usually cheaper too.

Of course the 8 is bigger, more expensive and many people prefer the slider.

Chuck