Paul the Overlord

Well Known Member
Hi,

It's been a while since I was hanging around, but I'm back. Many thanks to everyone for all the good thoughts about my wife. Her medical treatments are going well. My RV-7A made it to a good home. I'm thinking about a -12, but have serious reservations about building an E-LSA. I want to do the panel my way etc ... But, so far nobody really knows how Vans will deal with the AB Experimental builders. Will they sell me a kit with everything but the avionics? Will I be able to find a DAR that will sign it off as an AB Experimental? Any concrete info? What are you doing? Thanks!

I am going to build exactly as the plans specify to ensure I can get it licensed. The simple answer to your question is that no one yet knows what the FAA is going to do with their 51% proposal. If one starts to modify, and further down the road one finds out the kit no longer qualifies as a 51% amateur built aircraft, all you will have is a bunch of sheet metal that cannot be licensed in any category. I posed this question to Van at Oshkosh, and his answer was pretty much the same. We are going to have to wait and see what the FAA does.

Any modifications to the design would have to be approved by Van's. I think it is way too early to see if and when Van's will entertain these requests.

Maybe someone has asked Van if he thought the RV-12 as designed would qualify as a 51% amateur build aircraft, using "old" checklist. I never thought of asking that specific question.

I am currently in the process of building the RV-12 wing and am very happy with the fit and quality of the kit.

See my blog for info on the build process. The blog has a good entry on the current status of the 51% rule. If you have not e-mailed your comments to the FAA, please do it now

Last edited:
Welcome back Overlord! ;) Glad to hear things are looking up - the best sign is that you're thinking about another airplane - that must mean that greater worries are resolving themselves....

Paul

Hi,

Any modifications to the design would have to be approved by Van's. I think it is way too early to see if and when Van's will entertain these requests.

That's if I was going to go E-LSA, which I won't.

Maybe someone has asked Van if he thought the RV-12 as designed would qualify as a 51% amateur build aircraft, using "old" checklist. I never thought of asking that specific question.

That's what I'm curious about.

See my blog for info on the build process. The blog has a good entry on the current status of the 51% rule. If you have not e-mailed your comments to the FAA, please do it now.

I have been following the rule closely. I already sent in my letter. If I can't build the RV-12 the way I want to (and get it through inspection) I will build a Rans S-19.

S-19 not on list.

If I can't build the RV-12 the way I want to (and get it through inspection) I will build a Rans S-19.

Be aware that the Rans S-19 is not on the approved kit list either. So anything that affects the RV-12 will also affect the S-19. I'm not saying that the S-19 won't meet the current regs, just that it's not a "slam dunk".

Be aware that the Rans S-19 is not on the approved kit list either. So anything that affects the RV-12 will also affect the S-19. I'm not saying that the S-19 won't meet the current regs, just that it's not a "slam dunk".

Mel,

Someone, not from Rans, told me it was..... thanks for the info!

Welcome back Overlord! ;) Glad to hear things are looking up - the best sign is that you're thinking about another airplane - that must mean that greater worries are resolving themselves....

Paul

Paul,

Yes, she is almost finished with chemo. She is one tough lady. She feels quite badly about the sale of the 7A. As I have always said, it was metal and plastic. I'd trade 100 airplanes for one great wife. And... BTW... you are now in possession of another great wife. Congrats to you and Louise!!

Excellent attitude!

Paul,

Yes, she is almost finished with chemo. She is one tough lady. She feels quite badly about the sale of the 7A. As I have always said, it was metal and plastic. I'd trade 100 airplanes for one great wife. And... BTW... you are now in possession of another great wife. Congrats to you and Louise!!

I feel exactly the same way...Good for you Paul!

Frank

I'm confused...the Rans paragraph you refer to says,

"We spent a lot of time and effort obtaining both Type certificates, and SLSA approvals,"

Far as I know they only have an SLSA approval...you do a kit you're on your own as an ambuilt just like the RV12. That doesn't mean they won't get approval someday for 51% but I don't believe they have it now.

Also...when you buy from Rans you are required to put down 50% that is NON-REFUNDABLE. They must be afraid someone will change their mind when they see a 12.

And don't forget...after an ELSA is certified and operating limitations issued, you can do anything you want to the aircraft as long as you stay within the operating limits....change radios for instance.

Pete

The two type certificates and SLSA that RANS is talking about refer to their S-7S Courier aircraft (I fly one) and their S-19. Steve

Rans Shipping s-19 Kits?

Rans started shipping tail kits in the fall of 2007. Are they shipping any other parts of the S-19 kits? I reviewed all their press article updates and they never said if they have started shipping any other parts. RV12 wing kit 79