ccrawford

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,

This is my second trip to Oshkosh, but only my first since I started building my RV-7A (almost done with Empennage). I'd like to stock up on parts/hardware that might come in useful when building the fuselage and wings.

Does anyone have suggestions for items that were useful on their project, that either weren't included in their kit or wasn't enough of them?

I'm planning on buying an assortment of bolts, nuts, rivets, and pop rivets but I'm not sure what else would be useful.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

....SteinAir T-Shirt...

Oh wait - you can't buy one, they're free to anyone that stops by the booth and says hi!

Cheers,
Stein

RV6's, Minneapolis
C-YA @ OSH

I really don't think there are that many good deals unless you wait for the last day when the vendors don't want to ship their stuff back. I got a great price on my O2 system a few years back because they didn't want to pack and ship the cylinder back. :)
Tom
RV3
5 time Oshgosh participant

I think there are some good deals on some of the smaller stuff. I know we bought scotch brite pads in bulk a lot cheaper than I can locally. Also hardware is readily available that is rather difficult to come by locally for me. Just have to watch what you buy.

Cool little bags of hardward, like nutplates, used rivet sets of all sizes and shapes (I have used them all) etc in and around the fly market. About to make my 22nd journey........

Treasure Trove

ccrawford said:
Hello everyone,

This is my second trip to Oshkosh, but only my first since I started building my RV-7A (almost done with Empennage). I'd like to stock up on parts/hardware that might come in useful when building the fuselage and wings.

Does anyone have suggestions for items that were useful on their project, that either weren't included in their kit or wasn't enough of them?

I'm planning on buying an assortment of bolts, nuts, rivets, and pop rivets but I'm not sure what else would be useful.

Any ideas?Thanks!
Always a presence in the Flymart, stop by B & B. Sellers of aviation hardware, they usually have a fair assortment of stainless screws and stainless Tinnerman washers. They also carry those hard-to-find spring loaded covers that many (including me) have fitted to the wheel pants to cover the (optional) air inflation hole for the tires. I believe I paid $5.00 apiece for them a few years ago.

For your oil access door, you may want to seek out either Camlock or Hartwell latches and you may find them somewhere within the boundaries of the FlyMart either as new or surplus.

You can find several types of annunciator or press-to-test lights and often in new or like new condition.

Finally, the FlyMart is a great place to find a bountiful supply of electrical grounding straps in all sizes and shapes and those items sure come in handy when assembling your electrical system.

Have fun.

Flymart shopping

I've bought AN fittings there, shock mounts, and a few nuts and bolts. If you're not yet sure what you will need, buying stuff in advance will probably end up being a waste of money. If you know what you need, and have a decent list, then you might end up with some deals. I bought a pair of used aluminium air vents to replace the black plastic vents Van's ships for only $30. New they are much more.

As the others have said, I would look for the small stuff. Maybe things that you have see in the Aircraft Poohs catalog but were not ready to pay 10 bucks shipping for a $2 item or bag of stuff.

You might consider looking for small diameter dimple sets or a spare set if you want to keep one set pristine. You will have to grind an edge off both the AD3 and AD4 dimple sets for clearance in a couple of places on the wing and fuselage.

Additionally, maybe look for squeezer jaws that fit your squeezer. I think a wide selection of jaws is more important than the pneumatic/non-pneumatic choice. A "no-hole" jaw is needed. Don't need a longeron jaw until the fuselage. I have a short reach (1-1/2) standard jaw I like for AD4's because the 4" long reach jaw really spreads under the load of an AD4.

Lastly, you might consider picking up a couple of small bags of rivets that don't come with the kit. First, "Oops rivets". I think the number starts with NAS1097. Get a few 1/8" diameter/AD3 headed ones for AD3 hole repairs. I got some 3/32" diameter ones for installing nutplates in thin skin. The mfg heads are small enough not to bust the countersink guidelines. Lastly, a handfull of AN470-AD3's. There are a couple of places (one you have already seen on the HS) that deserve small AN470's but Vans does not supply.

Have FUN! I really wish I was going. I had plans to, but a life change came up quick this spring. New (better) job and house hunting are the game for me this summer. (Moving from KDMW to KAVL) Maybe Sun-N-Fun will suffice...Still pondering how to move my kit....

Last edited:
Get a whole bunch of bucking bars. Shipping those hunks O' steel is mad heavy!

You are going to need this one for doing your flaps:

P6300414.JPG

:cool: CJ

One tool I used every single day on my project was a digital micrometer I picked up at the Fly Market for $30 a couple years ago. At the same place, I couldn't resist a boxed set of traditional micrometers (Chinese of course) for a ridiculously low price - and they are still in their box. The Digital wins hands down...

Paul

Last edited:
SteinAir said:
....SteinAir T-Shirt...

Oh wait - you can't buy one, they're free to anyone that stops by the booth and says hi!

Cheers,
Stein

RV6's, Minneapolis
C-YA @ OSH

Will you have a full assortment of wires, connectors and other items that you carrie on-line at OSH? I'm ready to place an order but would prefer to buy when I am there. Where will you be located?

Unfortuneately we won't be brining any stuff to sell like we used to. Dealing with the WI-Dept of Revenue a couple times has cured me of that! So, we only bring a few panels to show along with some other goodies, then we have no sales tax pain to deal with! We'll be in the usual spot, hangar B, 2030 near the main entrance.

See you all there!

Cheers,
Stein.

RV6's, Minneapolis

Alumiprep and Alodine if you use 'em. No shipping, no hazmat charges. This was easier when Wick's brought a lot of stuff and had a big display but last year they had almost nothing. And Aircraft Spruce ran out.

Thanks for the tips, I have somewhat of a shopping list created. If anyone else has tips/ideas on what to buy I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. Thanks again!