Blain

Well Known Member
Any opinions on thinner or lighter epoxy primers?

Using Omni MP172 and although it is not a high build primer it seems to be heavier then I want. Shooting some practice panels and it looks like it could hide the rivets. I'm not interested in filling the imperfections just giving the color coat a tooth.

I've used the SEM etch primer in rattle can for assembly and it has more of the consistancy I'm looking for.

Are you planning on painting the plane yourself???

If not, and you already have a paint shop picked out, just ask them about it.

If you do not already have a paint shop picked out, I would suggest you do not prime the exterior at all----------no need to face the possibility of the shop having to remove what you have put on.

Are you alodyining the surfaces also??

DIY.
I painted my first several trucks before we started buying new. Besides I have an intermission, Wings are done and fuse is 6-8 weeks away. And 3rd, I'm a tightwad.

I would like your paintjob.:cool:

Reading the tech sheet on Sherwin Williams P60G2, the primer Vans uses. Looks like it can be topcoated with several acrylic products.

Anyone with experience shooting B/C or single stage direct over this product?

I used the PPG Omni products for the interior of my RV-6. I used the MP172 epoxy primer with the MTK single-stage topcoat. It has worked out great for me. The combination was OK'd by the folks at the paint store. Keep in mind that the epoxy will require standing prior to TC/BC if it cures to long. The recommended time from prime to TC/BC is around 30 minutes. After 3 days it must be sanded and maybe reapplied (don't remember off the top of my head). I also seem to remember that it can be thinned with acetone. The PPG Data sheet is pretty clear and easy to find.