Scott Will

Well Known Member
A few days ago I get a letter saying I didn't pay my Jan 2007 rent. Immediately I sent them a copied of the canceled check which cleared that right up. Then they say "ohhh we meant to say we don't have your rent for March 2006". Again, that's bogus because I faithfully send a check every month... they agree on this. They admitted they probably lost the check as they were changing management at the time.

I have proof that I wrote the check (those copies you get when you write it). What would you do if someone lost a check you wrote and they almost a year later demanded payment?

If someone gave me payment and I lost it, then tough - I'm out the money.

Anyone been in the same situation or have the correct legal answer?

I appreciate it!

check with your bank and see if that check has cleared. If not Pay what you owe that is only fair.

My take on this

Scott Will said:

I have proof that I wrote the check (those copies you get when you write it). What would you do if someone lost a check you wrote and they almost a year later demanded payment?

If someone gave me payment and I lost it, then tough - I'm out the money.

Anyone been in the same situation or have the correct legal answer?

I appreciate it!

Hi Scott,
People make mistakes. If they lost the check I would make them out another one. A year later, two years later..it really doesn't matter.

I wish the airport near me had a hangar to rent!

Mark

Even if they lost a check you still owe them the money. It's a tenant -v- landlord thing. Not worth arguing about, if the check did not clear send them another one.

Last edited:
Pay Up

You have an obligation to watch your bank statement and make a good faith effort to clear up issues as they occur. So yes they are at fault if they lost your check but you should have caught the error also. The bottom line is that you received services and are obligated to pay for them. Write them another check and smile knowing you made all of that interest on you rmoney you had sitting in your account instead of theirs all of these months. :)

Find out your banks check cancel fee and deduct it because you need to cancel the check that was lost.