joe.singleton

I'm New Here
I attended a Rotax training session recently and the engineer recommended the fitting of an oil thermostat and a coolant thermostat to get the engine up to operating temperature quickly. Has any one fitted either of these that could recommend how to achieve this, what extra hoses and fittings are needed and the best way to route them around the engine? thanks

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you the Thermostatis oil thermostat parts list and a link to a series of photos.

Hi Joe

We thought about fitting the thermostats after I went on Conrad's excellent course.

In the end we went down the simplicity route (lighter, cheaper, less complex = simpler) and installed the engine as per the plans.

As you know, we have completed limited flying so far but even in Oct-Dec before it went in for paint, warm up time wasn't excessive. Certainly by the time you've put a route into the SkyView and done all the checks, it's good to go.

The Tecnams at work (single and twin) have coolant and oil thermostats fitted and seem to take just as long to warm up as the RV does.

The other alternative is to fit a (partial) blank over the oil cooler if it gets very cold.

Hey John, were you satisfied with the sizes of your covers? I am in Md. and I know you all are a bit colder than us.