Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Somewhat recently I gave somebody a ride in my RV and frankly still haven't recovered from it yet. All the signs were there prior to even climbing into the airplane, but we got in anyway and took off. Here is a rough accounting of how the trip went.

We met at the airport and he followed me through the gate and to my hanger. After getting out of his car he commented that my car desperately needed a bath, and as he put his finger on a dime sized dent on the back quarter panel and looking at it closely he said, "At least it's in good shape." Whoa, what is this about? The hanger door isn't even open and two insults have been shared from my passenger. After opening the hanger door he did a thorough walk around of my hanger mates plane and shared any visable flaws, as if it is my responsability to have them corrected. This plane is a 172 that never flys and is a 2nd airplane for the owner who also flys a 210. Maybe the plane isn't a trophy winner, but... At this point the walk around of my RV began. He ran his picky little index finger over rivets, screw heads, and anything else he could find as if he were judging for a Lindy at Oshkosh or something. At one point he made it to a screw head that has some paint coming off and turned to me and said, "I hope that the painter gave you some extra paint." Whoa, stop everything. I told him that I didn't invite him to the airport to point out flaws and that it was coming accross very rude. Un-phased by this he showed no sign of any discomfort and told me that he had frozen some bottles of water and had wet wash clothes in zip lock bags so that we could cool down and wipe our faces down. I was speechless!

After showing him how to wear the seat belts his inspection recommenced, only this time on the inside of the plane. His hand went up to the glareshield and he picked up a short white hair left there by my dog Charlie. He picked it up and wrinkled his nose and set it free outside of the plane. Next his attention went to the headset and he looked into the ear cups and was able to find a hair in there also! He reached in with his thumb and index finger and removed the hair and this time he had a look of pain and disgust on his face. At this point I was about to blow. Okay, I've got to get this under control because I've known this person a long time and we just don't need to have a problem here.

Clear... As the engine is coming to life he puts an earplug in front of my face with a look of revulsion on his face. What am I supposed to do about that, and what is it doing right in front of my face? I told him that my wife tried them in my dogs ears and one must have fell out and onto the floor. His look of revulsion turned to one of stark terror and he flicked it outside of the plane. Before I could get through the entire ATIS he was pointing out that the EGT gauge was not showing a reading. I told him that it will and to let me hear the radio so that we could get out of there. During taxi he asked which of my radios had broken, because a few weeks ago my Garmin had a power switch problem that he had heard me mention to somebody at work. I pointed to the radio in question and he asked if I felt comfortable flying with something like this. I told him yes, and again, I need to concentrate so we can get out of here.

Once we were in the air for a few minutes he asked a question about a landmark and I decided to show him on the chart. I told him that he should look for traffic while I look at the chart and then I engaged the autopilot. Now with the the EZ pilot flying us and no hands on the stick I began to open the chart and find what he had asked about. Suddenly the auto pilot felt wrong and I looked up and we were in about a 15 degree turn. Holy @$#*, this guy has grabbed the stick and is over powering the autopilot and turning us off course. I barked, "What are you doing" and he gave the plane back to me. I told him the autopilot had the plane and not to ever do anything like that again. Now we were both a little miffed, and I was asking myself why I didn't back out of this ride back at the car needs a bath comment. True to the direction of the days events, he started telling about when he went for a ride with another mutual friend. He told me that he sat and planned out everything. He told me how he drew lines on his charts, wrote down all of the frequencies for approach and center, and how he had filed a flight plan. He mentioned how nice it was to fly with somebody that took so much time preparing for a flight. What the *$^@ is this guy trying to say? I told him that I didn't know what he was trying to say, or imply, but we were only going 40 miles to a place that I fly all the time for gas. We had two GPS's tracking our trip, and landmarks that make it idiot proof. He said that our other friend always uses flight following and looked at me like I was doing something terribly wrong by not doing the same. Okay, around this point I just resigned myself to getting thru this and learning from it. Between him switching the fuel guage to check each tanks remaining amount, and asking when I was going to switch tanks, and telling me the frequency for Unicom at the destination, which was wrong, and sitting forward with his hands clinched to the glareshild overhang I was struggling to not get really mad at this guy. I had to tell him to not touch anything on the panel, and that we had plenty of fuel, etc... Okay, where's the camera because we must be on TV right? Anyway, the rest of the short trip was much like all of the things mentioned already. When we landed he took out the wet wash cloths and handed me one. Ya know, when he first mentioned these back at the hanger I chuckled to myself. Little did I know the genious in packing these cool, damp clothes because I desperately needed it now! The last thing I remember before hitting the isolate switch on the audio panel was him pointing out that the outside air temp guage couldn't be right. The plane had sat out in the sun baking for a couple of hours and as soon as the radio master was switched to on the temp guage showed 108F. He said "Do you really think it is 108 outside or is this this broken also?" Well, I pointed to something outside on his side of the plane and when he turned to look I flipped the switch on the audio panel that isolates him from me. After everything that was wrong it didn't take much to convince him that the radio was acting up again and I rode home in relative peace.

My friend is not a licensed pilot, but he does have hundreds, if not thousands of hours with Microsoft Flight Sim. Thank you Bill Gates!

Blue Skies,

You're very tolerant

I wouldn't care if it was the Queen of England (and, yes, I'm English); wouldn't have made it out of the hanger... You obviously have way more tolerance than I. And I have to say, the next thing that happens after a passenger grabs the controls is the fastest landing you ever saw followed by "<go away>, and don't come back".

No Way!

I read your post with total disbelief! 'Friend' or no friend, I would have ended the flight WAAAAY before you did. On second thought? I know these RV's are NOT intended for open canopy flight, but I would have seriously considered trying it while I tossed this joker out :p

There's one like this in every crowd. I see it all the time. I try my hardest to shrug it off, but in all reality? There are two potential passengers (for every one of him) that would LOVE flying with you, and would relish the moment....without a bunch of criticism and other BS along the way.

My hat is off to you, for sticking through this entire flight (even before 'clear prop'). !

BTW, how did the screw hold up during the flight, that needed a little touch up paint? :D This guy is....as we say here in Texas....one sandwich short of a picnic. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Where's the camera?

I thought this would end up as a "candid camera" episode. Pretty scary. Another example of where it is best to trust your instincts when they are whispering to you. Many 8 drivers remove the rear stick for exactly this type of passenger.

Few chops short of a BBQ.

Your 'friend' with MS Simulator, he wouldn't be jealous of your RV and your achievement?
Pete.

Do snap rolls!!

My former boss taught basic in a T-6 after WW11 and once had a picky Arab-type student who couldn't find his butt with both hands. He became so p-o'd once that he snatched the stick into immediate snap rolls, immelmans and loops and whatever else he could think of until the guy started puking his brains out!

He landed shortly thereafter and pointed to the water hose and suggested that after he washed out the airplane, he find a different course to steer, ;)

After his first comments in the hangar, I think I would have been tempted to say "Now what are all these switches and Knobs for?" once you got in the airplane. Or maybe something like, "Boy, I picked a bad day to quit taking amphetamines...."

Regards,

re:Don't blame Bill

The guy sounds like he may have been nervous and he definately sounds like he has OCD. I'd bet he has very few friends. From the way you described it though, I think I would've missed the early warning signes the same as you. I might have turned around about the time of the stick grab/the other guy is more careful incident simply because by that point I would've realized that once this guys gets out of the plane I'm never letting him in again.

I wouldn't blame flight sim though. I'd blame untreated OCD and a complete lack of social skills.

Bryan Wood said:
Somewhat recently I gave somebody a ride in my RV and frankly still haven't recovered from it yet.............
Bryan,

If I've learned anything after giving countless first flights in 1200 or so hours, you really cannot predict with certainty how non-pilots will behave when removed from their familiar element. Your recent passenger sounds like a world class jerk. I'm guessing that deep inside, this guy was really nervous and dealt with that fear in his own obnoxious way by attempting to take charge of a situation way out of his direct control.

Like it or not, you learned something from the experience. Call it "seasoning."
Thanks for sharing.

LMAO!!!!

txaviator said:
I know these RV's are NOT intended for open canopy flight, but I would have seriously considered trying it while I tossed this joker out :p

My thoughts exactly. Now I know why Mr Van added this jettison feature to my Tip-Up kit. He too must have had a similar experience ;)

I'm sure we can all learn from this. I would have to say that this entire episode created a very dangerous situation for both parties. Rarely does a day begin like this and progressively get better. I can say I learned from it. If things dont feel right early on "ABORT" "RE-EVALUATE" "MAKE NECESSARY CHANGES"

-Jeff

Cranky passenger

There has only been one passenger I can recall of all the people I've taken for rides over the years who complained about everything .
So I divorced her and haven't had a problem since. :D

Wow Bryan - sounds horrible. I agree on the OCD comments contributing to extreme rudeness.

I keep my plane in a largish group hangar, and there is a really strange guy who has a new 172SP (which I rarely see fly). Every time I see him he comes over to chat with me, but almost always some sort of backhanded homebuilt aircraft comment gets worked in. I've heard the following exact statements:

* Wow - you're really going to fly that thing (after I had completed my phase I and moved the plane to this airport)

* Not a lot of space in there, huh?

* Do you fly aerobatics in it? Yes. Wow - that's neat, but I think acro should be legal for airshows only - it's a dangerous risk to GA and insurance rates.

* Nice paint job. Do you think that having a funky paint job will hurt the resale value?

WTF?

I'm a pretty introverted fellow, and mostly just make polite conversation with this guy - not sure what his deal is.

I'm still laughing at your story although I know it wasn't funny at the time. I had dual controls in my RV-6 and had a kid grab the stick and invert us like a video game once. I fixed that problem.....no more dual controls, particularly in a tandem where I can't see what they're doing.

Passenger issues

As Randy said, funny now!! I've only had a few people in my plane since I cleared Phase I. The majority have been those who are building or considering building. Everyone has been great. I give a pretty detailed safety briefing and familiarization walk around of the plane. I always try to let the passenger get some stick time, but guard the stick.

My biggest fear is someone puking in my plane.

f1rocket said:
I had dual controls in my RV-6 and had a kid grab the stick and invert us like a video game once. I fixed that problem.....no more dual controls

I fly about 10-12 young eagles each year in my 9A when we have our local chapter YE day.

Last year I was flying a 13yr old boy scout... things had been going great and he was loving doing the flying. The weather was getting bumpy as we returned to the airport. My passenger stick is removable by simply pulling up on it. So here he is holding the stick with 2 hands getting a bit tense, when bam we hit a bump the stick comes out of the socket in both hands up near the top of the canopy.

He looks over at me with this wide eyed stare... I say, I guess you want me to fly now huh? :)

I had a friend from church come out and help out with my annual in return for an airplane ride for him and his kids. He's an auto-mechanic so I figured he could help with the wrenching. He wasn't all that much help and kept complaining about how dirty my 200 hour engine was. I finally took him and his kids for a ride. One kid was great, the other kept complaining (just like dad.) "This plane is so slow, is this all you do?" I took the plane down on the deck and then did a smart pullup. No more comments from that kid. I took Mr. Picky Churchfriend for his ride. Smart alec comments the whole way. Took him over to look at his house and kept it in a tight circle overhead at 170MPH.

Then I smelled the chicken we ate for lunch. I asked him if he was alright, he said, "I'm sorry, I threw up." And up, and up, and up. Great.

So we get back to the aiport and I'm expecting a mess to clean. When I popped the canopy open and stepped out to have a look at the back seat I found that he had tossed his cookies right down the INSIDE of his T-shirt! He said he tried to save the plane.

All was forgiven. :D

I took a friend's wife up in a T-34 many years ago. She had just been to church so she was wearing a dress and panty hose. We got clear of the class D and I made 1 turn and she informed me she was queasy. I returned to the field as smoothly as I could but not before she had offered her breakfast to the Mentor. I landed, shut down and looked in the rear cockpit only to find she had made a catch basin with her skirt. Not a drop any where but on her dress. She was so concerned about the plane that she had me hold her dress up to contain the contents while she climbed out. As she came off the wing, she was holding her dress above her waist. Aircraft before modesty.

Jekyll

a fellow aviator

weirdest flight I ever had. At the behest of a flying friend I agreed to take a fledgling aviator (he was regaling me with his adventures on the drive to the airport) on a 3.5 hr low level pipeline patrol. We were about a half hour into it when he began puking into his brand new sectional. And continued retching. I couldn't take it and dropped him off in Holland Mi. whilst I continued patrolling north to Muskegon. When I picked him up on the way back south he looked and assured me all was well, I did notice he had a plastic bag. And while he was at the controls on a short deadhead leg he was ok but as soon as I started patrolling and he was strictly a passenger, he was vomiting again in 20 mminutes. And it continued all the way from South Bend Indiana to Bult Field in eastern Illinois where he popped open the Cessna door and puked on the runway during rollout. I'm sure glad he had that sectional and got the bag when he ruined that as there was only minimal clean up in the plane.

Only had it happen once

Was about a year ago in my Zenair Zodiac....Did a few rolls and spins...Yes a Zodiac is not too shabby at those...My PX was fine...Then I flew over the top of the cloud gentle as a daisy...He lost sight of the ground and up-chucked EVERYwhere.

I could still smell the puk when I sold the plane...My Wife was amazed I made him take all the upholstry home with him...Too right!

I never fly without puke bags now...

Frank

RV7a...about to go to the airport

After all these puke stories I aint taking any unknown passengers again.

I do remember walking up to a beautifull pitts once to look inside. I was met with that "tried to clean it but wont go away puke smell"

Now lets talk about nice experiences ??;)

My brother adorned the complete panel in the rear of my T-34. Very difficult to clean up but rubbing vanilla extract around helped to cover the smell.

Toco Bell burrito supreme everywhere! Lukily, the front canopy can be opened in flight. I started having dry sympathy retches on downwind and short final - a bit distracting to say the least but that's why we have check lists. Can you say "3 down and locked" with the dry heaves?

Jekyll

So far (knock on wood) I've only had one puker. Took an 11 year old up for a Young Eagle ride several years ago in my TriPacer. Calm early morning flight with no turbulence, but little did I know he had downed a Mountain Dew and a honeybun just minutes before the flight.

During the base to final turn, I heard a coughing noise over the intercom. Glanced over his direction to find the right side of the panel covered in a nice sticky mixture of honeybun and Mountain Dew. Needless to say, that was my last ride of the morning.

I have an old aquaintence that I had once offered a ride in my RV-6. A ride that he anticipated. One day during a discussion of current events in the news, he took a political position that was widely different from mine. I withdrew my offer of a ride. As long as his choice is to be stupid, he will never ride in my airplane.
A man must stand for what he thinks is right. How's that for being a opinionated horses backside??

Bob Severns

opinionated...

hngrflyr said:
I have an old aquaintence that I had once offered a ride in my RV-6. A ride that he anticipated. One day during a discussion of current events in the news, he took a political position that was widely different from mine. I withdrew my offer of a ride. As long as his choice is to be stupid, he will never ride in my airplane.
A man must stand for what he thinks is right. How's that for being a opinionated horses backside??

Bob Severns
I can't think of a better time to try to convince someone to change their mind on an issue than when you have their life in your hands! :)

Critical moron...

Yep, don?t think for a second that such a critical moron such as this would not sue you into descruction and devastation at even the slightest hint of even scaring him. Let alone possible harming him (or possibly her too!)
My vote is that if this was ever a friend, he/she should not be one any more. Sorry to hear about this. Really sad.
Glen