60av8tor

Well Known Member
Right around OSH every year is when I do the dreaded deed - wash and wax including the belly:( I clean off the bugs after every flight, but don't touch underneath all year. This year I may keep up with the belly little better. I'm not sure what will be worse - once a year and pretty darn dirty, or several times a year... After a lot of elbow grease:
113605521be6dd3da3c5aea9d80f409f.jpg

All shiny for another year:)
08902c03f5e9ccc6a2d84b5c88341486.jpg

Not so bad when someone else does it :). Tanya just crawled out from under the plane 20min ago doing the same thing. All clean, then I got to go fly it. It goes faster now.

I washed, clay barred, and waxed mine today. Then I flew it to add back a respectable patina of dead bugs.

Tired now. Need beer.

During oil change

I used to do mine every oil change. Ya gotta wait for the oil to drain. Also gotta wait for each quart to go in. I used that time to clean the belly and service the tailwheel.

Light many chores, the toughest part is getting started!!!

The immortal words of Mr. Miyagi

When you're halfway done and your arms are about to fall off and you're wishing you'd never started, Just keep reciting the immortal words of Mr. Miyagi....

wax on, wax off :D

Scott - you're an inspiration. My wife's name is Tonya as well, perhaps she'd be on board with your technique:D

Kudos to you, Kyle. I've clay barred my truck before - not sure I have it in me to do the RV...

Darwin - will you be at the RV social at OSH? I talked to you last year briefly about your employer. I retire next fall and would like to talk to you a bit again and get some advice if you're attending.

We have this young lady who just soloed on her 16th birthday. I offered to take her into controlled airspace for some experience and somehow my entire RV just got washed and waxed, even the bottom:). What a deal!

Don't tell her but I am planning to pay her. No way would I do that for less than fifty bucks.

Yep!!!

Darwin - will you be at the RV social at OSH? I talked to you last year briefly about your employer. I retire next fall and would like to talk to you a bit again and get some advice if you're attending.

I'll be at the social. Also flying the pesky Bell 47's. Stop over there and we could probably have more time to talk. PHI is always hiring!!!

Bug Cleaning

I clean off the bugs from all the leading edges and wipe down the underside of oil/grease every time I finish flying. Do you suppose there's something wrong with me:D I just can't stand all those splattered bugs especially if its blocking my view out the canopy every time I land. I use something called "Bug Gutz" from a guy called Tim Holt in griffin, Georgia. Works great.

I clean off the bugs from all the leading edges and wipe down the underside of oil/grease every time I finish flying. Do you suppose there's something wrong with me:D I just can't stand all those splattered bugs especially if its blocking my view out the canopy every time I land. I use something called "Bug Gutz" from a guy called Tim Holt in griffin, Georgia. Works great.

Yeah, often, if you are "doing it right", there is nothing left to wipe bugs. Leave it all behind for tomorrow. A difference in mission I guess.

Every flight

I "wash" my -4 after every flight, takes less than 5 minutes. Spray bottle of water only for the canopy, top and leading edges, light shot of formula 409 for the belly. I have a smoke system, and use it, so the 409 is a quick clean for the belly. The micro fiber towels from big box stores are great. I have a carpet runner that I park the plane on, so its easy to roll under and wipe.

Looks good Jon, but that blurry picture makes you look old! Not that you have to worry since you don't look a day over 30 in real life :D

I would advise against using formula 409 or any other household cleaner as most of them are very corrosive. A gallon of carbon X or BH-58 will make several gallons of cleaner that will cut the oil and crud on the belly and will not damage paint or corrode the airplane.

Explaining to a bunch of drunk boaters/motorcyclists or texting car drivers that an experimental aircraft is a safe hobby if respected.

There is no worst part of owning and operating a Vans RV!

No downside whatsoever!

Can't think of a single thing I don't like about owning, flying, and maintaining an Experimental, Amateur-Built aircraft designed by Richard VanGrunsven!!

Not gonna convince me otherwise! Ain't gonna happen!

For the record, I'm not a builder. Bought one flying, and another one that sat neglected for years outdoors and needed lots of TLC. Both fly regularly, and both flew last week, together, in formation. (Father and Son.)

Ya gotta love it! :cool:

The worst part about owning an RV?

Having to wait until all the rivet banging is done to fly it!

Easy Fix!!!!!

.... All that is necessary is this! Purchase a oil separator and vacuum evaluator system from "Anti-Splat-Aero" and install it on your baby. They come with a free "Invisible Genie" that keeps the belly nice and clean. Simple! Thanks, Allan...:D

Steam is the answer.

McColloch Steam Cleaner, $139 on Amazon, best purchase I ever made. Steam a 2' x 2' area, wipe clean with a microfiber cloth and repeat. It completely cleans the bottom of my -6A in about 20 min, no chemical, no mess. In fact, I use it to clean my whole aircraft in less than an hour and a half. And when I'm done, My hangar and I are completely clean and dry, Summer or Winter too. The only thing that's left dirty is the microfiber. I dispose of the greasy cloths from the belly, and launder the rest to use again. Got the idea from a segment on "Jay Leno's Garage." Check out YouTube video "Detail Your Car - With Steam! - Jay Leno's Garage."

Last edited:
I'll be at the social. Also flying the pesky Bell 47's. Stop over there and we could probably have more time to talk. PHI is always hiring!!!

Thanks, Darwin. I'll swing by the 47's - didn't make it there last year.

Allan - your separator has definitely been on my mind...

The steam was interesting - have never seen that before.

Jay - the Collinite sure looks like good stuff... May have to pick up a bottle and try it out.