LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I don't think it's much of a surprise to anyone who's followed me over the last 10+ years that I've loved every minute of building. I even thought building the fuel tanks was a blast. The canopy was fun even if it could lead to "elephant man" as my plane's nickname (disclaimer: I don't do nicknames. It's a plane, not a boat!)

But one of the last acts of the build is one of the worst, I found out yesterday: Bucking the rivets on the side and corners of the top skin. I'm only 165 pounds (gained only 20 pounds since graduating from high school in 1972, thank you very much) and not big at all. How do large people do this?

It also doesn't help that I have Meniere's Disease, which means if you get into some particular upside down positions -- "space capsuly" as I refer to it -- you're going to get airsick while sitting on the ground.

One side of the process was all I could handle, and I wouldn't have been able to do that if it weren't for RV building buddy Brad Benson.

But that was NOT fun, the only time in 2,860 hours of building I haven't found some pleasure in the build.

Who'd like to buck those last 8 or 9 rivets now? Bring some AN426-4-8s.;)

Bob-

Now I am worried. Those same rivets are on my list in the next couple of weeks. On the bright side, it means we are getting closer to flying these great machines.

inspection panel

I installed inspection panels which have come in handy many times... you can see the right one in this photo...
5cU86rSllfvto36hKC2DSdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Bob, I wish I lived closer (or had my RV done). I'd be at your place in a jiffy with a case of beer, my trusty tungsten bucking bar, and some rivets.

If you're really needing a few rivets, I'll be glad to pop some in the mail.

There is always another worry waiting

This was one of the things I thought would be the toughest... racking my seventy-something body under the panel to buck those rivets. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. Not a piece of cake, but not bad either. I built up the forward cabin floor with thick foam slabs until it more or less matched the height of the center section. I placed more foam in the seat pan area to match the height, then placed thin plywood sheets over the foam, finally an old blanket over the plywood. If the fuel selector is installed, remove the handle and use a plywood cutout to go around the shaft so it doesn't poke you in the back. This allowed me to easily slide under the panel into a comfortable position (and back out). I used a cushion for a head rest. There were only a few places where I had to resort to using pulled flush rivets.

P6030028.JPG

All avionics were removed iin preparation for riveting.

P6110034.JPG

Terri. Private Pilot and Riveter Extraordinaire

P6110037.JPG

Whew! Glad that's done.

IMG_1579.JPG

Current state of the build.

Bob, I wish I lived closer (or had my RV done). I'd be at your place in a jiffy with a case of beer, my trusty tungsten bucking bar, and some rivets.

If you're really needing a few rivets, I'll be glad to pop some in the mail.

I need about 8 4-8's, but I'm sure I can find some on the field here. Thanks for the offer, though.

Curious.....

why you all don't use nutplates and screws rather than rivets? Both my -4 and my Rocket are done that way - sure would make a difference getting at the avionics.