meadeduck

Well Known Member
We just received the interior kit from Van's today (two packages) and was kinda surprised at the weight of the two parcels; it's about 25 pounds, I think. I may see if I can't return it.
Meade:(

I agree it is a bit heavier than I expected. The trade off is this is the only way I will get my wife into a plane. If it looks "finished" she feels more comfortable. Since 95% of my flying is solo and/or 1 hour or less, I'm not worried about a few extra pounds. Gives me more motivation to keep to my diet.

I think that if you read the material provided with the interior kit you will find that the full installation of all the available kits is only 12.2 pounds or only two gallons.

Then keep in mind that your aircraft should still only weigh about 740 pounds with lights, interior and a reasonable paint job so if you take 1320 less the 740 you will still have 580 pounds left for load then 20 gallons of fuel at 6 pounds per gallon is 120 pounds leaving 460 pounds that is two big people or to fair size people and 50 pounds of baggage.

No need for an ugly interior to save weight, money is another issue.

Best regards,
Vern

We just received the interior kit from Van's today (two packages) and was kinda surprised at the weight of the two parcels; it's about 25 pounds, I think. I may see if I can't return it.
Meade:(

Am I correct in assuming the 25 lb weight you are quoting is including the seats?
Seats made using Temperfoam are surprisingly heavy... the price we pay for comfort and additional impact safety.

The optional interior kit http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/order_forms/RV-12/RV-12-interior-options.pdf adds about 12 lbs over and above the weight of the seats.

optional interior kit Wt

I weighted my optional interior kit without seat cushions and it did weight approx 12.3lbs. J

Interior kit weight

Maybe I'm overreacting...a bit. I still haven't opened the boxes but the cardboard boxes weigh over 25 pounds; so I'm maybe apologizing a bit in advance. I'll REALLY be happy if they weigh as little as everyone says.
Meade

The shipping weight is 25#-not the interior weight.

The boxes and packing weigh quite a bit themselves. As indicated on the order form (and you will also find in the instructions with the interior), the total installed weight of all options is only around 12#.

RV-12 Seatbacks

Does anyone know if the 12 seat dimensions would be the same as one of the other RV's? Any chance the seatframe parts were carried over from another model and cushions for that model would fit? After licensing, I would think lightweight or custom seating could be an option.

Does anyone know if the 12 seat dimensions would be the same as one of the other RV's? Any chance the seatframe parts were carried over from another model and cushions for that model would fit? After licensing, I would think lightweight or custom seating could be an option.

Seat pan and seat back shapes are both different from the other RV's

Your weights don't seem out of line. My Classic Aero Designs shipping weight for RV8 leather seats/armrests including their wider front seat aluminum frame was 29 lbs.