CNEJR

Well Known Member
This week has been particularly stressful. I have flown four out of the last five days. The weather here in afternoon/evenings has generally been overcast to light rain, but it does make for relatively calm situations.

I now have twenty-five takeoffs and landings. Let me tell you the first were so stressful, but now I think I am finally getting the feel. So much to learn, I am so lucky to have a great instructor, who really knows "How to Boil the Frog". The frog of course is me. I spend most of my time thinking about flying, trying to consume every operational fact I can. I have diagramed my takeoff/landing pattern with speeds, distances, altitudes, point functions, etc. This really helped in managing power, prop, flaps, fuel, communications, altitude and speed. It is now starting to come a little easier, but so much to learn. We now stay in the pattern almost exclusively.

I think back to April when I first finished this airplane, I was literally terrified to get in it and start it, much less taxi, could never see me flying it. I realize others have forgot more than I presently know, but I think I can do this. It just makes you realize how brave and able the young men were in WWII to strap on a Mustang with perhaps only 10 hours. Just want to do this safely.

I know this thread is probably boring to you old hands, but to a sixty year old with zero time, it is an exciting time and even sometimes "Fun".

Last evening in light rain, I slicked off five really good takeoffs and slicked in five "no bounce landings", it was like I finally focused from the "Blur".

Next week, I'll be in New Mexico on my Goldwing, hate to take the flying break, but must to keep commitments. Wonder what I will be thinking about? "How to smooth that next landing".

My one wish to all those in my case is, "That you find a CFI like I have, he is Good, really ............."Good".

SSgt Elsey reporting.........."All quiet on the Southern Front".

A little time away might actually be helpful for you! Enjoy the trip and forget about flying for a week and you come back ready to conquer the beast!

Whipper snapper!!

ONLY 60? Chet was 69 when we started the RV9A project 2 years ago. He finally got his license 2 months ago at 71.

At 60, you've only just begun young fella!!

I've got 171 hours on the 9 and it just gets better and better. Take it slow and enjoy!!