CNEJR

Well Known Member
I am getting very close to taking a check ride for my PPL. However, I had something happen that may spell problems for someone trying to get their PPL in an experimental in the future.

I started training in my 6 about last October and things really have gone well due to a superior instructor. Now have about 70 hours with just about all the requirements filled. I was insured by a company for liability/hull during this time. Due to re insurance markets, this company was no longer able to write the policy on renewal. I checked every market that I know to be available through a broker, no joy. Finally found one company that would insure if I flew duel and only with a limited time window. Thankfully, I have just about completed all the solo time for my license and the practice for the check ride can be performed duel. (They will insure as soon as I have a PPL)

Does anyone know of a company that will write a "student pilot" in an experimental I might have missed? I can't see any instructor willing to train without liability insurance, that would be just plain nuts for the instructor and the student.

I will get this done, but only due to the timing circumstances. For the record, I don't recommend my "training path" to anyone building without a PPL. Yes, it can be done, but only if you can find "the best of the best in flight instruction". The everyday CFI just isn't going to make it happen and with insurance markets the way they are....I may be the Last of the Mohican's. It has been a very intense experience, very gratifying, and not really that hard, but just really not the way to go to insure success.

Any additional thoughts are welcome. I know from fellow RVer's contacting me, that many face this issue in the future.

I was in the loop on this situation and wanted to add a couple of things.

There were actually two markets that were willing to quote Chuck's situation this year. US Specialty agreed to quote - at a hefty price - with Chuck approved as a solo student. They required that he obtain his PPL within 30 days, or they would drop him as an approved pilot. To me, placing a 30 day gun to a student's head is just not smart underwriting and I told them so. They would not agree to any extentions of that requirement.

So, we settled on the second company - Chartis - who agreed to approve Chuck only while flying with a CFI until he completes his PPL - without any time limits. I felt like this was better, even though Chuck would not be allowed to fly as a solo student. This was kind of a special exception that the Chartis underwriter made, because Chuck was so close to obtaining the PPL.

I would say that there may be writing on the walls that some markets are tightening up on RV underwriting. As Chuck mentioned, one of the markets that we had last year is now gone.

I'm Curious...

...did they specifically say the check ride would be covered? Technically this is not done "dual" and the student is PIC! The examiner is really just baggage;)

I was in the loop on this situation and wanted to add a couple of things.

There were actually two markets that were willing to quote Chuck's situation this year. US Specialty agreed to quote - at a hefty price - with Chuck approved as a solo student. They required that he obtain his PPL within 30 days, or they would drop him as an approved pilot. To me, placing a 30 day gun to a student's head is just not smart underwriting and I told them so. They would not agree to any extentions of that requirement.

So, we settled on the second company - Chartis - who agreed to approve Chuck only while flying with a CFI until he completes his PPL - without any time limits. I felt like this was better, even though Chuck would not be allowed to fly as a solo student. This was kind of a special exception that the Chartis underwriter made, because Chuck was so close to obtaining the PPL.

I would say that there may be writing on the walls that some markets are tightening up on RV underwriting. As Chuck mentioned, one of the markets that we had last year is now gone.

The insurance companies consider the check ride dual because the examiner is a CFI and the examinee is still, technically, a student.

Any additional thoughts are welcome. I know from fellow RVer's contacting me, that many face this issue in the future.

Hi Chuck,
I just ran this by my underwriting/RV builder/buddy, Ray Lawrence, in Sandersville, Ga. He can possibly write you.

email: ray at myaceaviation dot com or 478 232 9560

Best,