Draker
Some people I show my RV to express shock not that I built the airplane, but that I wired it myself. I don't think it's that big a deal--many builders do it. In fact I find it shocking that some builders will buck every rivet in their plane themselves, but shy away from the wiring and end up buying a pre-made harness. DIYing your avionics wiring is a big job, but it's not that difficult. I actually found it to be the most pleasant and mentally stimulating part of the build. It takes patience, attention to detail, and a lot of prep work. Here's how I approached mine:
Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 7.13.57 PM.png

RV White Pages Updated
…under ‘Links’, ‘The VAF List’

Skelrad
Am I right in assuming these black marks on the front and rear of the canopy should be used to indicate the canopy center line (between them)? It would make sense that that is why they are there, but measuring from the form lines on each side of the bubble doesn't equate to the same center. That could simply be how the forms are made though, I don't know. Just want a sanity check before I start cutting.
Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 3.56.06 PM.png

Flying Video
…planenutz
Good weather days have been hard to find recently so when were provided a window of reasonably calm skies my daughter and I took the opportunity to go for a blast around the hills in XTC. With no particular agenda we headed west and eventually found ourselves in Haast, a tiny village on the lower West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand.
Mikayla is 19 and has had her PPL for a little over 12 months now however I've not let her loose in the RV-6 as yet. She's been using trips like this to get used to the performance (compared to the ol' Cherokee 140 the RV-6 is an F-16) and if the moons align she might get to do a rating early next year.
Hope you enjoy the video:
Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 8.48.49 AM.png

R&J Cosh
I have recently heard of several stuck valves with bent pushrods. Since I travel a fair amount (600 hrs in the two and a half years since completing my 14A), and much of it is over unforgiving terrain or open ocean, should I be concerned? Additionally flying Young Eagles is a passion of mine and I don't want to cause undue risk.
My Lyco IO-390 Thunderbolt has not had any issues, but from what I have heard that is not an indicator of what may come. I would like to hear from folks that have had problems with stuck valves to see if there are any common practices that might be causes or remedies.
Type of flying - short, infrequent, long cross-countries
RPM and MP settings
Lean or rich of peak
Oil type
MMO used in fuel or oil
Decalin or Camguard used

Dorfie
Yesterday my FF suddenly went high to about 10gph more than it should be. It changed appropriately with leaning and power changes just stayed about 10 gph too high. No change in engine behavior or seen in any other engine parameters. It has done it once in previous flight for brief time and settled back into normal range. Have not been into PDF settings for long time. Has about 650 hours on it.
Engine is IO-540.
Is this a failure mode of the red cube or should I look somewhere else?
Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 3.57.12 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_5545.JPG

Please consider donating yearly to help keep this American 1-person pirate ship afloat:

Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

THE VAF LIST (a list of RV-related lists)