VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

Mr. Adam Burch. Rest in Peace.
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.46.20 PM.png

Prop Sludge, High Oil Sample Numbers & Reusable Oil Filter
…mfleming update
Just an update to my prop saga.
The prop was installed and now has about 10 hours on it. It slung a little bit of grease the first flight but is rock solid since then.
Waiting for the weather to get better to fly to Nampa and get it dynamically balanced.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (May 4-5, 2024)
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.48.25 PM.png

Broken wire of cooler door …-12
I had difficulty lining up the “loop” at the end of the CT A-740 Black with the hole and the cotter pin. While attempting to open the loop to make it larger, it broke. If I rebend it, it would be behind the hole. The M341M was nearly fully extended when I was assembling everything, but the F-1210 was up against the cushion clamp. The red area shows the location of where the wire broke.
Can the wire be replaced without purchasing the entire CT A-740?
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.49.17 PM.png

RV4 max flap deploy speed…aircraft airspeed vs. prop wash speed?
…Kooshball PIREP
Ok folks, I have not found any cracks on the tube or the welds but have found wear marks on both flaps which indicate where the flaps actually deploy to while in flight (pictured). It seems that the torque tube is twisting when it has load on the flaps which pushes the flaps back several degrees.
Would this be typical of the design and performance of this kind of setup?
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.51.42 PM.png

Final Report RV-8 N184DJ
https://www.vansairforce.net/threads/final-report-rv-8-n184dj.226663/
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.54.06 PM.png

Long Term Storage of Hartzel Prop and Consequences
Just a heads up for those that have Hartzel prop in long term storage or are considering buying a propeller thats been in storage.
Just a word of warning…
Hartzel told me when I bought my prop, that I had maybe two years before the grease separated and the seals would take a set. Then it would start slinging oil (separated from the grease).
They were right…my prop sat in a heated garage for just over two years before it was put in service and then started slinging grease pretty bad in less than a hundred hours.
The fix is to have the prop disassembled and resealed. In my part of the country, that costs $1,200.
So, think twice about buying a prop and end up havIng it sit for years OR buying someone else’s prop thats been sitting for years without factoring in the reseal costs.
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.55.05 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.45.23 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at: