After much reading, head-scratching and self-examination, I'm about ready to get the process rolling on buying my engine (RV-9A). The QB Fuse will be here in a couple of weeks, a Catto 3-blade prop is scheduled for next spring, and I really hope to be airborne by end of 2008...

Unlike many of the engine experts here, I'm not (yet) too experienced with aircraft powerplants. My IC engine background consists of pretty much routine auto maintenance (replace plugs/alt/radiator/brakes/oil, etc.). So if I've failed to consider anything regarding the following engine choice (or considered anything incorrectly) please let me know. For those of us doing it for the first time, we've got 25,000 reasons to get experts' opinions...Thanks in advance.

In order of priority, I'm looking for:

1. Reliability (e.g. solid-state over mechanical)
2. Ease-of-maintenance (including replacement parts availability)
3. Operational economy (I'm cheap, er, thrifty and like high and lean)
4. Power (But not at the expense of the above three...I fly mostly over low-altitude flatland)

I'm considering:

Aerosport Power IO-320 D2A w/ Superior Roller Lifters
Ported and flow-matched cylinders
Dual P-Mags w/ automotive plugs
Plane Power 60-amp alternator (would a smaller alternator suffice?)
Skytec starter
James holy cowl and plenum

Does this sound like a workable combination? Would I need to make changes if I wanted to burn auto premium gas when available (w/ no ethanol)?

Thanks! :)

I was planning on P-mag, but decided against it in favor of mag/lightspeed. I like the plug and play simplicity of the p-mag in theory, but I've read about too many complications. When this thing is done I don't want to have to tinker with it every weekend or get stranded with some mysterious problem. The Lightspeed has a great track record.

I hadn't seen reports of complications. My reason for PMag was the ability to fit in existing mag-space without an external electronics box to mount and without requiring redundant electrical systems (the "simplicity" card).

Does anyone else feel like the time has not yet come for e-mags/p-mags?

My reason for PMag was the ability to fit in existing mag-space without an external electronics box to mount and without requiring redundant electrical systems (the "simplicity" card).

Slick magnetos fit in the, uh, existing mag space, don't need an external electronics box or redundant electrical power, and are about as simple as it gets! :)

I hadn't seen reports of complications. My reason for PMag was the ability to fit in existing mag-space without an external electronics box to mount and without requiring redundant electrical systems (the "simplicity" card).

Does anyone else feel like the time has not yet come for e-mags/p-mags?
You might want to do a search and you'll come up with a couple really good threads from the past few months. The long and short of it seems to be that usually they work fantastically but a number of people have had them conk out all of a sudden due largely to software bugs, which emagair has promptly addressed through great customer service. I'm still not convinced enough that that they are as yet plug and play (and reliable) enough to put them in my own plane, but I will definitely be considering them as they work their growing pains out.

Uh, Oh. Here we go. Quick, Tipup or slider?! Tipup of course, why would you want to install a silly canopy that rolls on a track. (unrelated inflammatory comment to break the rythm :)

Yeah, do the search. I have dual P-mags but you wouldn't find me going around "recommending" them to others.

Check the Electronic Ignition section for info on the P-mags.

As someone who has a pair and has problems, I wouldn't change them for anything. Now that they seem to have fixed the software problems, there is no maintenance associated with them and there is no coil pack or brain box to mount.

As it turns out, most of the problems with them had to do with how they were wired. Again, this issue seems to have been fixed.

Keep the 60A alternator, it doesn't weigh that much more than a small one and gives you room to grow.

Tip up. Feel like the slider requires more attention-to-detail/workmanship to keep from little leaky bits.

...not that there's anything wrong with that...;)