Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
As the Chapter 732 Newsletter editor (through December) I am always on the lookout for interesting news for our 9.5 page, size 10 font, monthly paper. After watching the Canadian Snowbirds put on their beautiful demonstration at Drake Field in Fayetteville, Arkansas I wrote a message to the head of one of the two benefiting Museums based at Drake. I asked him if he would write a short article about the "behind the scenes" work that enabled us to see this premier military demonstration team from Canada fly their 9 airplane show in our little corner of Arkansas. His response may be of interest to those of you who volunteer your time and effort to maintain non-profit aviation museums and need a special performance to raise funds:

Last November, as a suggestion from AAM Board member Bill Smith, I pulled up the Snowbird website and sent an email to ask about AIRFEST June 2006. I received a response one week later from one of the team coordinators and he was asking if we could help complete their 2005 show schedule. That one email resulted in the airshow you saw on October 5th. The Canadian's are a friendly and down to earth in nature, they were a pleasure to work with. We had a natural connection, as the Ozark Military Museum's 3NM "Canadian Queen" or "Expeditor" as the Canadian's call it, served from factory to near retirement in the Canadian Forces. It was stationed just 50 miles from Moose Jaw. Many of the team toured both museums and found more common ground with the "Ferret" armored scout car that the OMM has on display It turned out that one pilot had served his first four years on the Canadian Forces driving one of them.

Bob Axsom