Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I don't know if this is unique to me, but I thought I'd share for those newer builders who might think that this whole aircraft construction thing can get frustrating at times. To me, building is always presenting "Downs and Ups", and once you recognize the cycle, it is a lot easier to smooth them out and enjoy the overall process. What am I talking about? Well, the downside comes when you are working on a part, and it just doesn't work, won't fit, or you can't seem to make it properly. As an example, let's talk about drilling gear legs. This is a pretty monumental task in both degree of difficulty and importance - you really want the gear legs properly aligned and the holes to be nice and clean. The job is difficult due to the geometry of the legs and the engine mount, mounting this odd geometry properly in a drill press, finding appropriate drill size (and reamers) - it is a well known "rite of passage" in the RV world.

I did this a month or so back, and started with small drills, working my way up. About halfway through, I had the feeling I was in hand-to-hand combat with my tools and the parts. Drill bits were wandering, I have a little run-out in my drill chuck, and consecutively larger holes weren't going where I wanted them. The session ended with undersized holes and a distinct "down" feeling - had I ruined the parts? Was this even possible to do? Was I going to have to admit defeat and take it all to a machine shop...and maybe buy new gear legs and an engine mount?

Well, the next session I started fresh and paid a little more attention to my setup. The drills got larger, so they wandered less, and I finished up with a nice reamer to final size where I just had to tap the bolts in place. Were they perfectly perpendicular to the legs and tubes? Well, not perfect, but well within acceptable tolerance. The axles checked straight, and while I had chipped some finish off the engine mount in the struggle, all the important stuff was right. That was quite an "up" compared to the downer of the previous session.

Another recent example was fitting an alternator. I had a Van's adjustable bracket and a new-in-the-box ND alternator, but I simply could not find a combination of positions where the plain of the pulley would line up with the groove on the flywheel. It looked like I was going to have to drill new holes in the mount, or enlarge the slots - either course of action leaving me with a weakened mount that was customized for one particular alternator (It has been my experience that not all '87 Suzuki Samurai alternators line up exactly the same....imagine that!).Frustrated, I quit for the day. The next afternoon, I went by a different auto parts store and asked to see their '87 Suzuki Samurai alternator - and the mount/pulley position was different by 3/4" - plenty of room for me to try a different combination - which worked! Now I have a perfect setup that will allow me adjustment if I have to replace one of these alternators "on the road" and get one with a slightly different fit.

Wiring is like this as well - what starts out as a barely functional rats-nest somehow can be cleaned up to a really nice wiring harness/bundle with a little later attention. All it takes sometimes, is to walk away and come back fresh - and with new ideas gleaned from other builders, reference books, or the web.

I have experienced these "down and up" moments many times building airplanes, and the cycle is important to recognize, lest you throw the project in the dumpster at the end of a frustrating day. Quit the session, go inside, and when you come back out next time, work on something else. A solution for your problem will come, sooner or later. It's all part of the process, and recognizing it will keep you a builder, rather than one of the folks who fall by the wayside....

Paul

Last edited:
psy. 101

A-men brother!!! In the past I've walked away more times than I care to admit. But I come back with a renewed sense of accomplishment when it finally works out right.

Sleep on it

One of the big things I learned is that when things aren't going well it is best to just walk away and start again on another day. Continuing to force things when they aren't working tends to just make things worse but taking a long break to let the brain work on it often makes it easy when you start afresh.

By the way, the same principle applies to crossword puzzles.

Walk Away Wisdom

It took me many UPS orders of replacement parts to learn to sleep on it. I'm surprised at how many fixes came to me as I was falling asleep. In the meantime I always kept a fiberglass job on the ready deck and instead of beating the offending structure into submission, I took out my frustrations on the 60 grit. Still I'm sure I have a combined distance of RV part hurlage of at least 1/2 mile.

could not agree more

walk away, sleep on it, babysteps and dont give up!

I dont know how many times I woke up in the middle of the night with the solution to a previously impossible problem clear in my head.
Walking away and letting the subconsious mind work the problem is the key... now if I could only learn to fight the urge to hop out of bed, fire up the compressor and continue working at 3 am :rolleyes:

babysteps, I quickly learned to not look at the whole but to take it one small step at a time. Wiring the whole airplane is overwhelming and seemingly impossible, but installing one wire is easy, so is the next and before you know it it all fires up! (in a good way ;)

But also dont give up...
I drove home yesterday after an awesome evening flight. You know those flights when the sun is just above the horizon, the air is smooth as glass, you are the only one in the sky, fly through your own propwash on the bottom of the loop, and finish off with a practice engine out greaser of a landing.
During the drive home I was thinking about the journey, clearly remembering the sanding, the proseal everywhere (including the ceiling, on a QB wing mind you :eek:) the wife complaining about the parts under the bed, the canopy in the spare bedroom, and the aluminum shavings in the carpet. The endless deburring, the drill bit that almost went through your finger, and the fiberglass/epoxy allergy. The financial setbacks and the haildamage because the cars were parked outside for four years.
I dont know how many times I contemplated giving up and selling the project but I am so very very glad that I did not. For me, one thing is certain, every time when I fire that baby up I am reminded that it was all so very worth it.

I still have to pinch myself everytime I look over my shoulder before turning off that hangar light...

Last edited:
I run into this same phenomenon a lot at work. (software developer) Many times I spend half the morning agonizing over some extremely annoying issue, banging my head in frustration, getting nowhere. Finally, I give up and head to lunch... and when I come back, within five minutes of sitting down a solution is immediately clear.

Basically, the longer you agonize and try to force through a problem, the more likely you are to get tunnel vision and stop thinking clearly. At some point, the best thing you can do is put your mind elsewhere and find some clarity.

I read soemwhere that Thomas Edison would write a problem down on a paper tablet on his nightstand. Then he would instruct his subconscious mind to find an answer as if it were a seperate being. When he woke up, he would just start writing whatever came to mind. He claimed that it was imperative that he get the idea down before his conscious mind took over. Probably overkill for RV stuff, huh?

I thouoght I was the only one that did those things, yet it seems common. On my RV12 I just find another easy rewarding task to do, and eventually a solution will come to the problem I had. Problem is, I have jumped around so much on the build, I find I have overlooked some things that way too.

Thanks Van

And just think...

The scratch builders have to go through this thought process and emotional roller coaster ON EVERY PIECE. :eek:

I remain in awe of them and consider my slow build as cheating.

The Zen Of Building...........

When my Bro and I started our RV7 - way back in '04, we had just come off the back of a Christen Eagle rebuild, did OK and ordered everything in one hit.

It was like Christmas, Kwanzaa, Channukah etc etc all together.

However, we quickly realised we were starting from scratch, we weren't undoing a project and then re building, which is what we were experienced in.

So...........

I understand computers and the interweb, my Bro doesn't.

I started trawling and found, among others,

Messrs Checkoway, Tondu and Coggins.

These fine Gents were documenting their builds blow by rivet blow.

And thus we began.

We had huge ups, huge downs. Some days we worked 8 hours and saw nothing, no progress and some frustration.

Other days we did 5 hours and saw....... an airplane :D

Above everything, these are our golden droplets of wisdom to feed into the pot of life.

If you are building with a partner, do not share skills - take them equally and master them individually.

If you get stuck, put the kettle on ( I'm British FFS )

Then get on the interweb and search - the information, photos and shared pain is out there.

Paul, I know exactly what you mean about the undercarriage - hey, I've built an RV, I know this stuff..... I start the 8, superb Grove gun drilled gear, get half way through, sweating, cursing, drills galling and seizing ----- STOP !

Take 5, refer to the Wise Men, print out photographs and instructions and - above all, leave it until tomorrow before you re commence. The frustration will have died down, hopefully beer will have been consumed with your best mate - you will have told him about your day of anguish, he will sympathise.

Unfortunately, your wife will think you are some SOB bear tailed demon - hey ho, what goes around comes around.

And thus we continue, task by task, paying homage to the 27/64ths measurements etc etc tasked by Van just to really challenge us in our quest to build the best darned airplane around.

If this doesn't summize a builders proud spirit I don't know what does. I get chills just reading it!

walk away, sleep on it, babysteps and dont give up!
But also dont give up...
I drove home yesterday after an awesome evening flight. You know those flights when the sun is just above the horizon, the air is smooth as glass, you are the only one in the sky, fly through your own propwash on the bottom of the loop, and finish off with a practice engine out greaser of a landing.
During the drive home I was thinking about the journey, clearly remembering the sanding, the proseal everywhere (including the ceiling, on a QB wing mind you :eek:) the wife complaining about the parts under the bed, the canopy in the spare bedroom, and the aluminum shavings in the carpet. The endless deburring, the drill bit that almost went through your finger, and the fiberglass/epoxy allergy. The financial setbacks and the haildamage because the cars were parked outside for four years.
I dont know how many times I contemplated giving up and selling the project but I am so very very glad that I did not. For me, one thing is certain, every time when I fire that baby up I am reminded that it was all so very worth it.

I still have to pinch myself everytime I look over my shoulder before turning off that hangar light...

The scratch builders have to go through this thought process and emotional roller coaster ON EVERY PIECE.

Not everybody is wired the same. Some lose interest because of sheer boredom with the easy stuff, while the challenging parts make 'em race to the shop after dinner, tired or not. The thought process (both design and how-to) is the best part.

Last edited:
Psy 102

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but...

I thought I kinda understood the psychology of building, having done that, and having inspected a few and talked to other builders quite a bit. Well, I was wrong. When I took on this task of supervising a high school group, I didn't realize what a learning experience it would be. Not only do you have those moments when things don't go right, but all of a sudden you have all reactions. Dive in and find the problem, walk away, blame someone else, or just ask ME! We have used almost all the tactics, but in the background, I have to think, what will bring about the most learning? Usually it is let a mistake be made, then figure out how to correct it. It works. Just don't let an expensive mistake happen. Or one that goes unnoticed. Drilling out a few rivets is good experience, and prevents future errors better than just saying, "Don't do that."

I have seen some students become frustrated and quit. I hate that, but there isn't much that can be done; not everyone is a builder. Thankfully that hasn't happened often. I have seen some get ahead of the plans, and ahead of the project in general. That is a problem one person working on a kit seldom experiences.

I have yet to figure out why more problems crop up on Tuesdays than on Thursdays. Perhaps the extra time away from the project. That is only a best guess. There are dozens of things different from a normal build, yet there is a structure and logic to how everyone works, and how the project proceeds. It is interesting to see leadership evolve, and to watch how quickly some kids can catch on to the procedures. I learned early on that the answer to most questions is, "Read the directions." I don't have to say that much anymore.

There seems to come a point where the group functions better than does an individual. As time goes on, each person seems to know where good input will come from; who can drill out a rivet, who can set up a squeezer quickest, in short, who should do what. Encouragement can come from many corners, also. I loved it this week when one guy said, "I'm not putting the tools away until this is DONE." These are times to sit back and smile.

The hardest part? There is something in me that wants to jump in and BUILD. I don't do that, at least not often (double-flush #4's this week was a different story. I could show better than explain.) Anyway, this is a different build from what I was used to. In the end, tho, the same rules apply; stay at it, work as often as possible, correct anything before proceeding, and sit back and admire the work from time to time. If you really enjoy building as I do, plan on working with a group of kids some time. You won't regret it.

Bob

Indeed

Well said Paul! I experience it exactly the same. In addition I go through periods of 'burnout' when even if things are going well I loose motivation. Over the last 4 years I've learned to ignore it and push through knowing it will pass.

Bob I love your comments on learning while you teach - I am experiencing that again as I partner with Louise on the -3 project, as it is her first airplane project. Teaching/Leading/Mentoring is a great way to improve your own skills as you see how novices approach problems (sometimes right, sometimes wrong) and you help them to develop.

Another aspect to what i was musing about is bringing a part from "OK" to "Really Nice". Sometimes, you get a part (why is it always a fiberglass part?) to a point where it can earn a "B", it's airworthy, and you move on. You were hoping for better, but are tired of it. You then come back later with renewed patience (or because you are walking away from something else....) and improve it to show quality - or at least an "A"! Now THAT is a great feeling.

Paul

Last edited:
Solving problems in bed

Paul,
You are so right about calling it a day and letting the problem cook in your brain. I remember more than once, sitting up in bed in the middle of the night and shouting out loud, "I've got it!" My brain continued to work the problem even in my sleep.

I remember doing the Doll's canopy, and getting more and more frustrated. I kept cutting off material at the bottom trying to get it to touch the roll-over bar and canopy frame, but it just wouldn't do it. It kept getting shorter from front to rear, and was soon going to be too short to fit at all. I gave up for the day with my greatest sense of failure for the entire project, and I realized how much it was going to cost to buy a new canopy bubble.

The next day I sat there in a chair and stared at the canopy as it laid on the Doll for several hours trying to figure what to do next. Builder Doll came in and said to just go ahead and order a new bubble, but I wasn't ready to admit defeat, and I really didn't know what I had done wrong!

It finally occurred to me that if I just go ahead and make the big cut, that things might work out. With no extra material to waste, I made the cut with a tiny Dremel cutting wheel. After the cut was made, the canopy gave up the fight, and everything literally "fell" into place.

Walking away to ponder the problem, or even sleeping on it, will sonetimes solve the problem.

Close to Home

Good thread guys, this all resonates pretty closely with my experiences so far. I'm just starting on my 3rd tip-up roll bar.... sigh. But I suppose I'll build 5 if I have to, to get it right. Never built an airplane before, so basically I have no idea what I'm doing. Every broken part is a new lesson.

Just have to remind myself of the old VAF saying, "You build an airplane to build something, not to have an airplane!"