LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
My whip antenna for my Artex 406 mhz ELT (mounted on the top skin) broke off somewhere last night while finishing the last few hours of my Phase I testing, so I went online today to see how much a new antenna would cost.

That's when I saw this.

The ELT with the rod antenna is about $2000. The same ELT with a whip antenna is about $950.

Why would the price double depending on the antenna?

Ah, on the page I found, it was listed at $1995.

So, I'm looking for replacement antenna options, only I have to get up and go work for a living so these $600-$700 antennae are out of the question. I'm not going to spend that kind of money for a piece of equipment whose reliability is questionable to begin with.

Anyone got a source? Otherwise, I'll just duct tape a coat hangar on there. :D

I have an Airtex antenna

Long story, but I do have a new Artex 406 antenna. PN 110-773. If your interested PM me. Or call at 623-570-thirteen twenty.

These guys seem to think the antenna is worth more than the electronics. Go figure... It might be worth a call to them first - maybe they will send you a new one.

Roger

My whip antenna for my Artex 406 mhz ELT (mounted on the top skin) broke off somewhere last night while finishing the last few hours of my Phase I testing, so I went online today to see how much a new antenna would cost.

That's when I saw this.

The ELT with the rod antenna is about $2000. The same ELT with a whip antenna is about $950.

Why would the price double depending on the antenna?

I agree with you, Bob. If you can determine the required length, you should be able to make your own. I mean, after all, you built the airplane. :cool:

Hi Bob,

We'll see if we can do something better for you, but that's what you get for mounting it on the outside of the airplane (put it inside next time and you'll gain speed, and have one less hole in the plane)! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Hi Bob,

We'll see if we can do something better for you, but that's what you get for mounting it on the outside of the airplane (put it inside next time and you'll gain speed, and have one less hole in the plane)! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Does SteinAir have an ELT (AK-450) antenna that can be mounted in a wingtip or under the empennage fairing? Even better would be one that could later be used with the newer ELTs (e.g. AK-451)...

Welcome to the world of certified aircraft parts. I'll bet if you read the instructions that came with your ELT they say that the electronics and the antenna have been certified together to meet the TSO, e.g., technically your unit won't meet the TSO if you don't use their antenna. This is how they get away with such prices, and also how they justify them.

Does SteinAir have an ELT (AK-450) antenna that can be mounted in a wingtip or under the empennage fairing? Even better would be one that could later be used with the newer ELTs (e.g. AK-451)...

We do not...but I think the factory units have been put in such places by various builders for decades (or inside the canopy on the baggage bulkhead, etc..).

Cheers,
Stein

Welcome to the world of certified aircraft parts. I'll bet if you read the instructions that came with your ELT they say that the electronics and the antenna have been certified together to meet the TSO, e.g., technically your unit won't meet the TSO if you don't use their antenna. This is how they get away with such prices, and also how they justify them.

Well, like I said, I've still got the base, and about 2 inches of "wire" so technically I still have an antenna. And I think the regulations here only require me to install an ELT and change the battieries properly -- both of which I've done.

At this point, I'm not going to be spending a lot of money on something that might not even work when I need it unless I'm reading the regulations incorrectly.

Plus, I'm also planning on installing the APRS system, which is better anyway for telling people where they can pick up my ashes. :p

Bob,

Have you contacted Artex, or the vendor from which you bought the ELT, about this as a warranty issue? The whip antenna is spec'ed to 200 kt. So if it broke up in flight at RV speeds, I would think they should cover you.

See antenna specs, bottom of page 2:
http://www.acrelectronics.com/media...125/ME406 SeriesConsumer_Spec_Sheet_LoRes.pdf

-Roee

I'll try to pull out the paperwork on the ELT tonight. I'm not sure saying something is spec'd to 200 kts is the same as supplying a warranty that guarantees it.

Perhaps weld an extension to the existing broken part still attached and shrink wrap it or dip the whole thing in liquid plastic. If you want a AK-450 antenna (121.5 and 243 only) let me know and I'll send you one, I have an extra.

FAR 91.207 requires you to have an "approved" ELT.
FAR 91.1 says "approved" means "approved by the FAA".
So IMHO "approved" = "TSO".

But I agree with others, unless the antenna was abused in some fashion the manufacturer should send you another one. Even if it's out of warrantee.

I'll try to pull out the paperwork on the ELT tonight. I'm not sure saying something is spec'd to 200 kts is the same as supplying a warranty that guarantees it.

If the antenna is spec'ed to 200 kt by the manufacturer, and you were operating within that spec, then the product failed under normal operating conditions and should therefore be covered under warranty. Assuming of course that you're still within the warranty period.