Rainmaker

Ok. The desposit check has been cashed by Vans. The Emp kit is a couple of weeks from being finished. SB Fuse will arrive in Jan and the QB wing will show up in March. I figure I am at sophmore stage of building now. No longer a newb, but I still couldn't read a wiring diagram if my life depended on it.

So immediate plans are to build a wing cradle and start on the Fuse when it shows up. I am wondering since I am building a little out of sequence while waiting on the QB wings, is there anything I should wait to do on the fuse till they arrive? Van's says they are shipping the center section and longerons with fuse shipment. Sounds seamless to me but just wanted to check with you folks.

Also since I an plunking down the more serious $$$ now I feel REALLY committed. Of course I don't know if it's to the project or the asylum yet.

Rainmaker??

Hi Matt,
Do you seed clouds with silver iodine crystals?:D Seriously, I knew a guy who did.

There really is no "build sequence" per se. You can do wings first, fuse first, tail first...your choice or some of all of it...the way we did. There is often a wait for parts so you go make up hoses or finish the rudder pedal assembly.

Preferably, do each item until its completion so your thought train stays focused. One exception is the top forward fuselage skin. I was told to wait until just before you fly the airplane to add that particular skin:) Otherwise you'll be on your back, under the dash, arched over like a double-jointed carny guy. The rear top fuse skin should wait until you've run all the tail wiring, installed the autopilot servo tray and static tubing and elevator pushrod, or if you'd rather crawl back there later..go for it.

Mainly, enjoy the build every day,

I wish

I wish I could have a job as interesting as seeding clouds. Actually my handle is based on the fact that every time I pick up a can of primer it starts to rain outside.

Thanks for the advice on the fuse. Just looking at the plans it seems I am gonna be asking a lot more questions than on the Emp.

I must thank all of you regulars because just about every question that comes up after a night in the basement I can find the answer to on VAF. My list of wasted parts only stands at 3 so far. It would easily be 4 times that if not for VAF.

Build a fuse jig...

Matt,

You can build your fuse jig now from the plans....oops. Everything is match hole these day. Disregard. But you can build somethign to hold the fuselage, and a wing cart.

I waited until everything was done wiring and plumbing wise before I riveted on the boot cowl skin, and I'm glad I did. I also wish I didn't rivet on the turtle deck skin until it was wired. I had to crawl back there a few times. Ouch!

Any time is a good time to noodle out your power distribution plans. Get a copy of The Aero Electric Connection and study it. Also get on the Matronics list entitled the Aeroelectric Connection and start watching the posts. I learned a ton there. The book is cheap and includes a lifetime of revisions to download. It also has quite a few schematics for power already drawn up.

But, before you wire, make sure you draw out your plans and wire marking scheme. You'll be glad you did. I had to rewire a few things recently (I'm not even flying yet) and I ran wires 3 years ago, so the marked wires are a plus. I painted my interior before I started running wires and plumbing. that way, I didn't have to mask that stuff off.

Oh, and on the fuse kit, I epoxy primed the inside surface of everything right after I inventoried the kit, that way it was ready to assemble and then final coat the interior.

The fuse takes longer, because there's no momentum like you have with the wings and the tail. The fuse is varsity because you're constantly making one of everything, with very little repetition. But, it's also the most satisfying, so enjoy the ride.

Also be thinking about any ergonomic customizations you plan to make now, before you rivet the fuse together. Makes it easier to do it once. (Gee, how do I know this?....).

Good stuff. You'll be hanging the engine before you know it.....

Art Treff
RV-8 N666AT Fastback/Slider
Asheville, NC