DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
The Perfect RV/Work/Home Wristwatch (the hunt for...)

Semi-on topic...

I'm looking for a very specific watch and could use some help. There are features that I've determined over the course of the past ten or so years are 'must haves' for me on my 'perfect watch'. I need it in the plane, at home and at work and I have specific needs in each location.

Aircraft:
30 min countdown with LOUD alarm (switching tanks)
Rotating bezel to mark time since last waypoint and/or wind direction from ATIS
Analog hands with sweep second hand that is readable in turbulence with hand on stick.
GMT time
Multi-hour (multi-day if possible) stopwatch for flight time

Home:
LOUD Alarm to wake up
Light to get to bathroom without walking into wall.
Stopwatch (cooking, screaming at kids, etc).

Work:
Countdown mode w/alarm (meeting in 20 minutes).
Stopwatch mode (how long has this meeting been going on).
How long's that process been running?
Let's stop that verifying process in 50 minutes?
I'll call you back in 24 minutes (with alarm).

The watch that fits the bill best is the $1,500 Omega Speedmaster X-33 'Mars Watch' (www.Froogle.com). It has all these features, but I can't ever see myself spending $1,500 on a watch :eek: . Picture of X-33 (note how numeric values are tilted so when your hand is in the extended position it's very readable - assumes wearing on left wrist):
3991_50_06b.jpg

I'm currently flying/living/working with a Casio AMW-320R that I bought for $45 on the web (more). It's pretty close, but the stopwatch only goes to 1hr, there is no light, no countdown mode and the little display is very hard to see if your eyes are older than 25yrs. But hey, $45 on the web....

I've looked at Timex, Casio, Seiko and Citizen and have gotten no joy. Same with some of the more expensive 'aviation' watches (Breitling, Tutima, etc). They're either too hard to operate, too hard to see clearly, have features I don't need/want, or only have a couple of my 'required features' - not to mention costing a small fortune.

If anyone's seen these features in a watch I'm not aware of, I'd appreciate you letting me know what it is.

Thanks in advance,
dr

PS: Anyone reading this work in the Marketing department of Omega :) .

Last edited:
RV_7A said:
...you only live once man... Go for it!
LOL!

I went for it when I ordered the tail kit <grin>. With college/weddings/retirement and all those other grown up things not too far off down the road my thoughts are I'm not thinking like *that* any more!

If the Citizen Wingman had the Timex Indigo lighting and a faceplate that wasn't so busy...
If the Timex Ironman just had a coupla more features...
If my Casio had a big O light, a countdown mode and a stopwatch that went over 60min I'd be set pretty much.
If the Seiko....

Some of 'em are pretty close, just .....ARGHHHHH!

Last edited:
just curious -- which features are missing from Breitling B-1? Also, that one should have one of the loudest alarms (the back is shaped like jet engine's fan blades.. apparently to amplify acoustics)....

now.. expensive it is... :)

how about 2

Buy the $45 watch that has most of what you want and buy a $39 ASA flight timer and put it on your panel right in front of you. It has visual and audio alarms. Just a thought. Jack

Radomir said:
just curious -- which features are missing from Breitling B-1? Also, that one should have one of the loudest alarms (the back is shaped like jet engine's fan blades.. apparently to amplify acoustics)....

now.. expensive it is... :)
There's no light on the B-1 that allows me to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. My house layout, tile floor and (because of kids) things to walk into waking everyone up makes that 'Indigo' style light that Timex watches have seem perfect. I'm blind as a bat w/o my glasses, also. If I could just sleep through the night this wouldn't be an issue ;) .

2nd, the faceplate is way too busy for my tastes (can anyone actually use that E6B rotating bezel in a bumpy plane <grin>? I know I can't.

3rd: $2,500. Nuf said <yikes!>
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=breitling+b-1

The hunt continues...

Build9A said:
Buy the $45 watch that has most of what you want and buy a $39 ASA flight timer and put it on your panel right in front of you. It has visual and audio alarms. Just a thought. Jack
I actually already own the $45 watch :) .

What it's missing:
Count up / count down timers for work. I spend a lot of time in a noisy data center juggling multiple tasks. A countdown timer with LOUD alarm is really helpful here. Also, home use would be for cooking timers, picking up kids, etc. Don't want to have to haul around the ASA for that (and you know I'd forget to take it back to the airport <grin>.
Also, there's no light for that 3am restroom visit.

Still hunting...

There's no light on the B-1 that allows me to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. My house layout, tile floor and (because of kids) things to walk into waking everyone up makes that 'Indigo' style light that Timex watches have seem perfect. I'm blind as a bat w/o my glasses, also. If I could just sleep through the night this wouldn't be an issue .

Just get a cheap G2 surefire to keep by your bed, that will take care of you a whole lot more than indiglo on your watch at night. Especially without glasses. If you want the blue light they have a blue filter for it.

Jeff

1911pilot said:
Just get a cheap G2 surefire to keep by your bed, that will take care of you a whole lot more than indiglo on your watch at night. Especially without glasses. If you want the blue light they have a blue filter for it.
Jeff
Tried flashlights big and small. Half the time I knock it off the nightstand, waking up the Mrs. Way too bright also - blows out night vision. Want a light on my wrist that isn't too bright and can also be used at the hanger really early to put a little light on the keyhole.

I know....I'm picky...but these are my dream requirements. Maybe I should start looking a eBay for an old, used Omega X-33 :rolleyes: .

B,

Pretty close:
http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148563810

$70

If if just had a rotating bezel.....it would be a primary choice for me
(and only $2,430 cheaper than a Breitling B-1 :) )

[font=Helvetica, Arial]Full size 42-Lap Ironman Triathlon combo[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]INDIGLO night-light[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]Digital screen can be turned on and off[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]24-hour chronograph with lap and split[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]42-lap memory recall[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]3 interval timers settable up to 100 minutes with countdown repeat function[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]2 alarms settable for daily or one day[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]2 time zones Forward or backward setting[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]12/24 hour time[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]Month/day/date[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]Reverse display[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial]Water resistant to 100 meters.[/font]

Last edited:
Citizen's Blue Angels watch

Doug,
How about this one: the Citizen's Blue Angels Eco-Drive watch

New Blue Angels Commemorative Tribute in Stainless Steel with Leather Strap!
4-year Power Reserve Eco-Drive
Charges in Sunlight or indoors
Time and Calendar in 22 Time Zones(30 Cities)
Three World Time Alarms
1/100 Second Chronograph Measures up to 24 Hours
99 Minute Countdown Timer
One-Touch Interchangeable Analog/Digital Times
Rotating Slide Rule Bezel
Screw-Down Case
Push-Button Safety Clasp
Low Charge Indicator Window
Time Reset Advisory
Power Saver Function
100 Meter Water-Resistant (330 Feet)

If you have a watch with an alarm, it is tough to explain being late/missing meetings. :D

redbeardmark said:
Doug,
How about this one: the Citizen's Blue Angels Eco-Drive watch

New Blue Angels Commemorative Tribute in Stainless Steel with Leather Strap!
4-year Power Reserve Eco-Drive
Charges in Sunlight or indoors
Time and Calendar in 22 Time Zones(30 Cities)
Three World Time Alarms
1/100 Second Chronograph Measures up to 24 Hours
99 Minute Countdown Timer
One-Touch Interchangeable Analog/Digital Times
Rotating Slide Rule Bezel
Screw-Down Case
Push-Button Safety Clasp
Low Charge Indicator Window
Time Reset Advisory
Power Saver Function
100 Meter Water-Resistant (330 Feet)

If you have a watch with an alarm, it is tough to explain being late/missing meetings. :D
I already have the 'Thunderbird' wingman version (a little different, but not too much). My 'con' on these watches is I can't read all the stuff. The faceplate is way busy for my eyes (and no light). Does look cool, though :) .

Doug,

Work out the cost per hour during a lifetime of constant use and you'll see that its a pretty good deal at $1500 - if its exactly what you want. An X-33 is not a compromise and will last forever (things really do when they are well made and well looked after) - its on my list too, although the Speedmaster is very attractive with its history. I have the Seamaster now and the large dial is excellent as is the build quality.

The X-33 is starndard issue on the Space Shuttle...heck it could cost a lot more than $1500 with the government involved!!

Matt Hurley

Kriptionite?

I have a Rolex, have tried others, none have lasted like the Rolex. It is strong. If I just could make it keep time? Best thing I ever bought.

I found this watch on the Timex site and liked it so much that I ordered one. I haven't figured out how to upload and insert pictures yet, so you'll have to look for it at http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148444423

Timex Outdoor Casual Combo
No. 44442
$45

Analog hands with sweep second hand
Digital display for time, alarm, countdown, second time zone, chronograph
All Day INDIGLO on digital display
INDIGLO night-light simultaneously illuminates dial and digital display
NIGHT-MODE feature
Rotating compass directional ring
24-hour chronograph with lap or split option
24-hour countdown timer
3 time zones
Charcoal dial with luminescent hands
Alarm
Silver accents
Black FAST-WRAP strap

Dave, that is REALLY close to what I'm looking for. My complaint (and it's about the only complaint) is the numbers in the LCD section are somewhat small to read while the arm is extended. But, other than that....wow....and for $45.

When you get it let me know what you think. I'd be especially interested if you can hear the alarm with the engine running and the headphones on.

Best,

pilot watch

Doug,

Check out the AOPA Pilot Chronograph...count down, two time zones, indiglo display...plus

Matt Hurley

An update...

On the advice of Dave Cole and Matt Hurley (and some of the others here) I purchased a Timex 'Expedition' for $45 a few months ago - mainly as an experiment. I've been wearing it on and off for a few weeks. http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148444423.

Things I like that I didn't expect:
  1. The cloth and velcro band is so comfortable you forget you're wearing it. It weighs next to nothing. The larger, heavier watches I had been wearing for years interfear with wrist motion.
  2. I leave the digital display in Zulu time, negating the need for a dedicated GMT hand/bezel (i.e. Rolex GMT-II)
Things I wish were better:
  1. You have to set the 3 time zones separately (one analog and two digital). They function as three completely separate clocks.
  2. I wish the bezel rotated in both directions - it currently just rotates counter-clockwise. Another, way-to-nitpicky thing is to have the 'N' on the bezel a different color, like yellow or red. I swing the 'N' around to the minute hand often and use the bezel as a quick and dirty time elapsed indicator. Again, nit picking.
  3. I wish you could make the Day/Date stay in the digital window continuously (pressing the '4' button makes it appear for two seconds). update: Mike White has since told me how to make it do this.
  4. I wish the alarm was louder (but it's pretty loud).
  5. I wish the 'Indigo' light was much, much brighter (for those 2am trips to the potty).
  6. The digital display is a little small - and father time won't help here either.
If it breaks or I loose it - who cares? It's a $45 Timex....not a $3000 Breitling. I would say the 'what I wanted' vs 'what I got' ratio is 80%-85%. I can't complain about that for $45.

I'll try to remember to give you an update sometime down the road (a year or so).

Best,
Doug

Last edited:
I've seen posts in this thread where people either own or covet some very expensive watches. My wife gave me a Breitling, and having it serviced makes me cringe. As in $100+ for a bi-annual service. Oh, you don't want to pay $100 for the service? Your warranty is void. By the way, if you do get it serviced by the factory, you need another watch, because once you send yours off, you won't see it again for 6 weeks.

When I complained loudly about this to the store that sold the watch, they said they have this type complaint from lots of people who buy expensive watches.

My advise.. Before you buy, understand the expense, frequency, and out-of service time when the watch is sent off for service.

DeltaRomeo:
I wish you could make the Day/Date stay in the digital window continuously (pressing the '4' button makes it appear for two seconds).
Doug,
I bought the same watch a few months back on the same advice. Set the digital display to day/date, and then press the lower right button (can't remember which freakin' number it is...:p ). The display should say "hold" for a couple of seconds, then go back to day/date until you change it to something else.

Best,

Worked like a champ, Mike. Date stays on now. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I went back to the documentation and could NOT find this. Nice use of the forums :)

B,
D

PS: Larry Pardue emailed me the same tip.

Last edited: