McFly

Well Known Member
I keep my plane at a controlled airport.

Can I legally conduct taxi tests before the plane had been inspected? Thanks.

Yes, you can do any taxi test that you desire, just so long as the wheels don't leave the ground. I don't recommend high speed taxi test before certification because many "first flights" are unintentional. If you are doing taxi testing at a controlled airport, you should go up in the tower and discuss what you intend to do with the tower operators.

Also... they SAY that these things have a tendency to FLY!

I, of course... have yet to test mine but I can tell you from experience that when testing a strange bird, you never know what is going to happen.

I was flying an Aeronca Chief for the first time off a short field and had every intention of flying. After pointing it down the centerline, applying full power and checking the (few) gauges it has, I looked up and I was FLYING!

Some people have done just this in RV's so I hear due to the power and wing.

Have fun testing!

:) CJ

Mel said:
I don't recommend high speed taxi test

Good idea Mel. I don't recommend high speed taxi tests either. ;)

Seriously. What possible good can come out of high speed taxi testing? The RV is a well established design. If your plane is within CG, and it taxis straight at 20 kts, then what is the point? You have almost nothing to gain, and the potential for harm is great, especially in a taildragger. Skip the hi speed tests, spare your (likely new of freshly OH'd) cylinders. Make one high speed taxi test, immediately (as in seconds) before your first flight.

Just make sure your builders insurance has been converted to full flight insurance. Once it's under it's own power the builders insurance is not worth much if you smash it while taxiing.