Phil

Well Known Member
It takes a long time to build an airplane. For me, I'm 4.5 years into building the airplane and also building a relationship with my airplane. I know everything about her from tip to tail.

But last night, I realized my relationship goes beyond an airplane. It goes to my tools too. Some are more valuable than others. Some are garbage and some are very precise in what they do.

But of all my tools, there is one that I just couldn't live without. There's nothing special about her and I'm not sure where I found her. But this file has played a role in nearly every phase of the build. We know each other. I know how she sounds when she's working correctly. I know how she feels when she's working correctly. I can tell when she's had enough and needs to be cleaned. I can tell when I'm getting out of line based on how she pushes back. We've spent 4.5 years building a relationship and of all my tools, this is the one I couldn't live without. I don't even think she could ever be replaced with an identical model.

Do you have a tool like that? If so, what is it?

Phil

bddfa5a3.jpg

Last edited:
Gator Aid

....Do you have a tool like that? If so, what is it?...
Given the choice, I believe most builders would rather squeeze rivets than set rivets using a gun. Without hesitation, my favorite tool is the CP alligator squeezer. Certainly, it is a high dollar tool and its $800-900 cost can be a difficult expense to justify. Using it, however, I enjoy a profoundly unfair advantage over most builders. It's throat depth makes it possible to squeeze a high percentage of the total number of airframe rivets because its geometry allows it to reach locations not possible with a "C" type squeezer. The RV8 rear seat shown in the bottom photo showcases only one example of its uncommon utility. Like everything else, not all alligators are created equal. My alligator is powerful enough to set shorter length AD6 rivets and I used that 3/16" diameter rivet to plug various tooling holes in some parts. Setting rivets quickly and efficiently is only half the alligator's talent. When it comes to generating dimples, there is simply no hand operated tool out there that is faster than my alligator. After viewing this 1 minute video, I'm sure you'll agree my claim is no exaggeration. Oh, and before you even think to ask, the answer is NO you can't borrow it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2giHt2Mi0

2v8pagh.jpg

When it comes to metal work I couldn't live without my Dotco 90 deg "high speed" angle grinder, use it with sanding discs and scotch brite pads.

dotco_10L1201-36-HR.jpg

Last edited:
Given the choice, I believe most builders would rather squeeze rivets than set rivets using a gun. Without hesitation, my favorite tool is the CP alligator squeezer. Certainly, it is a high dollar tool and its $800-900 cost can be a difficult expense to justify. Using it, however, I enjoy a profoundly unfair advantage over most builders. It's throat depth makes it possible to squeeze a high percentage of the total number of airframe rivets because its geometry allows it to reach locations not possible with a "C" type squeezer. The RV8 rear seat shown in the bottom photo showcases only one example of its uncommon utility. Like everything else, not all alligators are created equal. My alligator is powerful enough to set shorter length AD6 rivets and I used that 3/16" diameter rivet to plug various tooling holes in some parts. Setting rivets quickly and efficiently is only half the alligator's talent. When it comes to generating dimples, there is simply no hand operated tool out there that is faster than my alligator. After viewing this 1 minute video, I'm sure you'll agree my claim is no exaggeration. Oh, and before you even think to ask, the answer is NO you can't borrow it! :)

Oh, Rick, now you've gone and done it. It wasn't long ago that I was cussing having to shoot some rivets in the corner of the -8 airframe, when I knew exactly what tool I didn't have. I've been staring at a couple more for over a month, avoiding them in a kind of stare-off. I've been threatening to resolve the situation once and for all with the temporary pain, but lasting joy of having the RIGHT tool... I think I'll utilize the tools in post #5 and #6 in order to win the day with tool #7.

Air compressor! Mine overheated and tripped the safety switch on it during a lengthy painting/priming session. Certainly made me appreciate the necessity of a good compressor to all of the building activities that depend on compressed air.

Well, lots of things people have already said... Squeezer, DRDT, etc...

But, I'm also loving my new Bosch PS31-2A drill. It's 2 pounds, tiny, and is excellent for drilling holes full size. Doesn't replace a higher powered drill, but it's not supposed to.

Here it is next to a smallish 18v cordless drill. (Believe it or not, my cheapest drill...an old Ryobi...also has the lowest runout, at absolutely nil, so I use it for the plane. If buying the Bosch I'd use Amazon, so returns are easy/free in case you get one of the one's with bad runout.)

A pleasure to use and hold:

bosch.jpg

The telephone.

It has got me more education, help and work done than any other single thing. Now days it would be a lap top.

Last edited:
Oh, Rick, now you've gone and done it. It wasn't long ago that I was cussing having to shoot some rivets in the corner of the -8 airframe, when I knew exactly what tool I didn't have. I've been staring at a couple more for over a month, avoiding them in a kind of stare-off. I've been threatening to resolve the situation once and for all with the temporary pain, but lasting joy of having the RIGHT tool... I think I'll utilize the tools in post #5 and #6 in order to win the day with tool #7.

Ok. I can confirm that tools #5 and #6 work! Mine doesn't have as much "character" as Rick's YET, but I have a whole lot of years to work on that :). Merry Christmas to me. Big thanks to Brown Tool.
xdcry8.jpg

Been waiting for someone to post this.

My favorite tool for building an RV?????

Gotta be...............

vafwwwmasthead.jpg

It changed my life

DSCF2218.jpg

I had done a little practice stuff before I attended a sheet metal class at Avery's. The trouble with Avery's is they have the good stuff there and they let you try it. I used one of the ordinary air drills in the class and it was absolutely fine. Then I made the mistake of trying the Sioux. Sheer control and smoothness. I put the money down right there and am real glad I did.

Ok. I can confirm that tools #5 and #6 work! .....
Congrats on the alligator squeezer purchase Scott! You won't be dissapointed. Most builders have no idea what a high quality alligator can do. Using it, that -8 project of yours will slam together. Be sure to give us your impressions after you get comfortable. I'd be interested in your personal product review.

Oh, BTW, don't put away tools #5 and #6 just yet though. To get maximum utility from your new alligator, you'll need #5 and #6 to acquire an assortment of squeeze sets. The good news is they don't have to cost very much because used squeeze set work just as good as new ones. I found a dozen of them while picking through bins at the Flymart. You won't need nearly as many as I have, I'm just showing off. As a practical matter, I really only use a very few in my collection. Still, even with the variety of squeeze sets I have, oftentimes I still have to stack a washer or two to get the alligator set up just right. :)

dfueco.jpg

My favorites

A) Six inch mill file with the sides ground off so you can actually not mark or score anyting next to it. It does ist job without getting you in trouble.:rolleyes:

B) Sioux DR1412 Small handheld 1/4 capacity Drill.:cool:

If I can not find my 6" inch scale everything stops until she is found. I also like her bigger brother, the 12 incher.

The 24" Starrett C305R-24 scale has 1/10" and 1/100" graduations on one side, and 1/32" and 1/64" on the other. It's gotten me used to working in decimal inches instead of fractions.

It comes in 6" and 12" versions too.

Dave