N941WR

Legacy Member
Van said:
Subject: First Flight

On April 1, I flew my new personal RV-10 for the first time from my home on Sunset Airpark in North Plains, OR. Built in about 18 months with major help from brother Jerry, who will share flying privileges. The engine is an AeroSport Power IO-540-D4A5 with a Hartzell Blended Airfoil prop. The panel holds an Advanced Flight Systems AF-3500 EFIS/AOA, a Garmin 396, Garmin transponder, Icom radio, Digiflight II autopilot, PS intercom?and that?s about it. Lots of bang-for-the-buck, with plenty of space left over. Empty weight is just 1590 lbs, so there?s a lot of useful load available. This is my first "homebuilt" airplane in many years, and it has been great to experience (once again) all the frustration, exhilaration, anxiety, euphoria, rage, etc. that seems integral to homebuilding. I can now relate better to those who have built or are still building. Buy some more bandaids and keep plugging away!"
Note his comments regarding the building process.

I suspect that in his role at the company, he doesn't get a chance to "build" much any longer.

This makes me wonder if he received the repeat offender discount and if the help line guys made house calls for the boss. :D

Good for him!

Van is the Man

Did you see the panel? Basic............Could not quite make it out but look like the Flying Dutchman Van special. I first met Van in 1986 and he has is known to be frugal, which is good for us. He takes that philosophy to his product, selling the best value in kit planes for +25 years. Which is good for us.

He no doubt could afford all the bells and whistles. From what I could see, his panel is very basic, light, simple and economical. He has an ATP, so its not like he does not know what to do with instruments. This is in no way a bash, its actually a tribute; I admire Van. It's another example of his design philosophy, simple and functional, which I've tried to learn from Van. New builders, keep it simple, light and close to plans.

Last edited: