USCANAM

Well Known Member
I've been asked by many personal emails to describe the landing light system I used on our RV9A.These emails were generated by a photo of the plane that I posted on a previous thread.
Currently there is a thread on this forum about landing lights, so here's what we did.
I'll not go into details of the construction since photos will better describe it. However there are too many to post, so if anyone is interested, email me and I'll email a package to you.

Some points however;
I did not want my taxi light to be in a wingtip, because of the limited lighting pattern, so a cowl mount had to be designed.
The landing lights will be mounted in the wingtips. These two criteria were met.

I used MR-16 71 watt bulbs. The taxi light in the nose has a 25 degree pattern, and the two landing lights are 15 degree.
The angle of the bulbs are adjustable, the wingtips with screws and springs, and the nose with washers.
I use .125" plexi bought from Home Depot to make the light covers. These were shaped carefully using a heat gun over the fiberglass parts before cutting the fiberglass.
Doublers were made, shaped, and riveted to hold the plexi lenses.

At this point, I have only eye-balled the alignment setting, but I couldn't be happier with the performance. When taxing at night with the 3 lights on, it's very impressive. The landing lights illuminate at least 250 feet ahead when landing. The tower during the daytime confirms that they show the position of the plane very well a couple of miles out.

Enjoy
Jack
[email protected]

Last edited:
Let's Try it This Way!!

Hi All

Thanks for the request via my email for more photos. Somehow my server won't send that much info (firewalls, filters !!!!????), so Ill post thumbnails.
I hope this works.
Nope, can't get the thumbnails to work.
I'll try real pictures!
Also thanks for the nice comments.!!

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM
I just joined Image Shack for 6 months to be able to post these. I thought I had unlimited posting now, but I'm only allowed 10 images.
Will start a new thread and see what happens!!

Jack

Last edited:
More info on N99552 Landing Lights

Hi All
We've been receiving many private emails regarding the construction of the landing lights.
Because of the many curves and angles involved with the areas of the wingtips and cowl where we had decided to install the lights, it was far easier to eyeball the construction, rather than calculate and transfer these shapes to my CAD program and design the lights.
I did find two other photos showing the construction and alignment features of the wingtip mounts. If I remember correctly (these bulbs are so light, it doesn't really require that sturdy a mount) the main frame is .040 aluminum, with the edges bent almost 90' for stiffness. The front plate holding the bulb is .062, and the hole was cut with a fly cutter to fit up against the lip that is on the outside of the bulb.
The rear plate that has the plate nuts attached, floats, and there are small springs between it and the main frame to hold a somewhat even pressure on the bulb. I think I drilled about a 1 " hole in the main frame for the body of the bulb to rest against. The edges of this hole are rounded, so the bulb can pivot as you make adjustments.
You can purchase sockets that will attach the wires to the bulb. I used .062 Molex female fitting with pigtails attached, and lightly soldered them to the bulb pins.
The following photos pretty well show all.
The taxi light is similar, except we did not use springs, but washers instead for alignment.

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

It took me about 3 weeks to design and fabricate the lights.
Hope this helps
Jack

Last edited:
Very Nice

This is quite timely. I was looking at doing the same type of landing light set up in the tips with the new Creativeair LED landing lights. Thanks for pioneering this endeavor. No I won't have to pull any arrows out of my chest:eek:

What thickness of Lexan did you use for the lens covers?

I was also thinking about making a retractable landing light in the lower cowl operated with a Ray Allen trim servo. Very functional with a bit of a cool factor.

What thickness of Lexan did you use for the lens covers?

I was also thinking about making a retractable landing light in the lower cowl operated with a Ray Allen trim servo. Very functional with a bit of a cool factor.

.125 thickness
A retractable landing light could also function as a speed brake !!!!
Have fun
Jack

Come See the Lights!!

Just a reminder.
If you're within a hundred miles or so of Cape Cod, come visit us this Saturday Oct 4 2008 at our hangar for the annual RV Gathering. Weather is forecast to be great (hurricanes are gone).
I'll even turn the lights on !!
Starts at about 11 am at New Bedford MA (EWB).
Tell ground you want Jack's hangar.
We have the food for lunch!!
Fly in safe
Jack