Today I received the very first "parts" that eventually I hope will lead to an RV-8. Have absolutely no sheet metal or a/c building experience, so I ordered the "Toolbox Kit Practice Project" to dip my toes in the water. Also ordered the RV-8 preview plans. We're currently building a new house with a nice big garage / workshop, so I have to wait a couple of months before ordering the empennage kit so I've got somewhere to work. In the meantime, my youngest son (13) eagerly helped unpack, inventory and photograph the kit parts ... very keen to get going: "can we build it tonight dad?" so looks like I should have a great building buddy. Started opening the pack with my Leatherman and he rushed off and grabbed his Swiss Army knife to help. Then when shooting with my Nikon he grabbed it (first time ever) and asked to be able to take some pics as well. Really looking forward to working together on building an RV.

Next few months will be spent: acquiring tools, doing the toolbox, setting up workshop, reading the plans, and lots of research and reading, most of which will probably originate out of this excellent site ... oh and finishing off my PPL. Yep, I'm really inexperienced at all of this, but finally getting to do what I've dreamed about for years. Expect this to be at least a 5-6 year project, particularly considering I want to fit in PPL (currently flying Tecnam P2002 Sierra), some taildragger training, basic aerobatic training, and eventually IFR endorsement.

Darren

Darren,

Congratulations on transitioning from a dreamer to a "do-er." Feels great, doesn't it? I think you'll find this community of people to be one of the best tools you have.

Remeber to take things step... by... step. One small task at a time. Don't try to look at the whole project -- or series of projects -- at once. Before you know it, you'll have the experience, the training, the ratings, and best of all, a real, live flying airplane to enjoy!

Sounds like your son will be an eager participant. I think I was about 13 the first time I bucked a rivet. (With first name like mine, riveting was an essential skill to learn as a kid.) I'll never forget bucking that first good row of rivets. Like you, your son will undoubtedly savor your father/son building experience for the rest of his life.

Best Wishes!

darren:
Congratulations!
When i started building my 8 I did not know a rivet from a cleco!
The websites like this(Thanks Doug!!), and the RV lists are GREAT rescources for ANY questions you have. It will be a great experience. Have fun!
Al Grajek
Lexington, Ky
RV8

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

I've also just begun construction on an RV8. Training so far has consisted of participation in an EAA sheetmetal workshop as well as putting together Van's toolbox and practice kits. I also bought some .020 aluminum sheet metal and 1" angle and put together a dozen or so 'mini-spars' like they tought us in the EAA workshop. The riveting practice really helped me get used to using my tools before I received the empennage kit. So far, I haven't needed any builder assistance but I know that it's only a few keystrokes away on this website-drop me a line if you need help!

Regards,
Mike

welcome Darren

I am pretty similar. I started my flight training last fall, and an taking my flight test dec 15 for my ppl, finally done all the hours and exams. I am well underway on a 9a. Its fun, and there is so much to learn. Find a few great builders web sites, and spend a day or two going through the whole build, with the preview plans so you understand the order and process. I have two laptops going during build days with lots of pictures.....it is a huge help. This site is full of great folks that will help with anything you need. Good luck on the start and on the ppl.