20 October, 2012
Maryland (TBD)

Jasper Air Race
27 October, 2012
Jasper, TX (KJAS)

Rocket 100 Air Race
17 November, 2012
Taylor, TX (T74)

George, we needed more in the NW also...So last year I put together the Big Sky Air Race. Now another RV'r stepped up and is coordinating a race in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. so in 3 yrs we went 0 to 3 races. They are a little work to get started BUT well worth it.....if you like grass roots fun flying. See my signature link for a teaser video from our first race.
Contact Mike Thompson, Chairman of Sport Air Racing League

Races in SE

Bob, We need some races in the SE! Looks like the TN race is the only thing close.

George

We ran a race 4 times in Alabama and most participants came from somehwere other than the southeast. I didn't research the actual statistics, but I believe the above statement to be true.

Chris M. Chairman TVAR

Southeast races

Chris Really put on a special race at Courtland, Alabama four times with the one and only two-way speed dash in addition to the cross country race. Sorry to see that one not on the schedule this year.

Lee Logan puts on a race each year called the "Race to Ridgeland" (South Carolina) which is a handicaped event as I recall. It is very popular I believe and Pierre is a glorious winner of that race - he may add some of his actual experience as well as Lee. Lee tried a SARL sanctioned addition to his race one year but not a single racer showed up - I had my plane loaded to take off but raging thunderstorms that were too wide spread to get around forced me to stay home. You can understand his not holding a SARL event again (pure speed, no handicap, many classes -see www.sportairrace.org)

Actually if you can get to Tulahoma for the race there that may be enough for a start and to fulfill a need for speed one time around a defined cross country course. If you are interested in taking home one of the big SARL National Championship Trophies you will have to plan to travel. I would guess it will take participation in at least half of the races to accumulate enough points to be in contention. The real thrill/adventure/satisfaction is the planning and participation in all out speed competition and once is enough for that.

The schedule of races is expanding each year and if it continues that way I'm sure more races will pop up in NASCAR country.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
My Rocket is in work getting some upgrades, but I'll be operational again early next year. I agree we need a race in the southeast. So, I'll try to get to one of the Texas races so I can meet Mike Thompson and some of the racers early next year. Perhaps we can try a sanctioned SARL race in conjunction with the Race to Ridgeland again. The R2R will be on May 5th (Saturday) this year and should, as always, be a lot of fun.

If anyone has any sort of checklist on what we'll need to do to set up a proper SARL race, I'd like to get my hands on one. Our 'course' is 125 nm and is run airport to airport with right hand turns. I'm sure our modest handicap race is not set up quite the way you guys would want.

Regards,

Lee..

SARL Race Kit

Lee I went to the SARL website www.sportairrace.org and on the home page I found a link to the "Race Kit." It in turn links to what i think you are looking for (copied below).

Bob Axsom

Sport Air Racing League!

Race Kit

This page will grow slowly. I intend it to be a resource for folks who want to organize their own race but are not sure how to go about it.

On this page will be links to information such as:

The Course

The Procedures
The Race Brief

Timing The Race

Race Support

Safety Issues

FAR Waivers

Awards
Race Organizer Checklist

hosting a SARL race

I really enjoyed putting together our races at Courtland,Al. I encourage anyone who wants to host a race, to do so. Even though we are not doing a race this year and I am not racing very much, I would like to be involved in SARL in some fashion. Its a great bunch of folks. Go to a race, you will have fun.

Chris M RACE34