Tango Mike

Well Known Member
First, let me announce that I haven't yet donated to the forum. Second, I promise to do so today, in cash, even though I am exempt from donating based upon two combat tours in Vietnam in the F-4 Phantom. After reading Doug's donation page, I decided that he's a guy who deserves the support. Thanks for all your effort. And now to the business at hand.

The issues surrounding the subject AD may have been discussed so much that it’s strictly old news. I apologize in advance if that’s the community opinion, but I’m looking for any and all comments from anyone who wishes to share them.

I purchased my RV-6 about 10 days prior to the publication of the original version of the subject AD and subsequently learned that it applied to my prop. Bad timing.

With the issue of applicability to experimental airplanes ultimately settled in favor of Hartzell and the FAA and another ECI due, I’m trying to decide how best to proceed: 1) continue with the ECIs, 2) terminate the requirement with the alternate method, 3) terminate with an overhaul with a replacement “B” suffix hub, or 4) replace the prop. I’m able to fly airplanes only by adhering to a fairly tight budget, so the decision isn’t a casual one.

From everything I can gather, very few ECIs have discovered cracks. Assuming that I don’t have a time bomb hauling me through the sky, and based solely on cost/benefit analysis, continuing with repetitive inspections appears to be the best option. I currently have two ways to do that by flying the airplane to an international airport about 80 miles away where a shop will conduct the inspection on-airplane for a mere $400, or taking the prop to them for an in-shop charge of $200.

In my opinion, removing and replacing the prop every 100 hours TIS for an inspection (especially one that takes less than five minutes once the spinner is removed) opens the door to a host of unintended consequences. To double the hourly cost of the inspection from $2 to $4 by flying there isn’t all that much considering the overall cost of owning an airplane, but it’s still hard to swallow.

I’ve been trying to find a less costly on-airplane ECI source, even to the point of exploring the possibility that a local A&P could provide the inspections. The procedure is covered by an SB, which does not have to be done by a certified repair station. Any A&P with an eddy-current tester and certification from Hartzell to perform the ECI can do it. I have little doubt that the effort will end up being a waste of time, but it’s something I feel the need to do.

Then there’s the fact that the service bulletin has been updated to include an Optional Terminating Action for the hub inspection by "modification of the propeller hub to the oil-filled configuration in accordance with Hartzell Service Letter HC-SL-61-273." I’ve looked into that option, and based on an extensive discussion on another forum, I’m not at all confident that it’s an acceptable solution. It would be like opening up a whole different can of worms.

If I’m going to remove the prop, there’s a strong temptation to bite the significant financial bullet of an overhaul and replacement of my “E” suffix hub with a “B” hub. That, however, reminds me of the saying that “Prop shops have never met a prop that doesn’t need more work than what you brought it to them for.” It’s like handing them a blank check. Once again the owner bears the financial burden of a product with a problem. And in this case, it’s a problem long since proven to be an example of shouting “Fire!” when there is none.

I’d love to abandon Hartzell altogether. One of the discussions on this forum has a post by a company rep who defended everything they do as being marvelous and all in the interest of safety and support of their customers. If they really felt that way, they’d step up to the plate and pay the cost of fixing their problem. Even something so simple as offering no- or low-cost ECIs at authorized repair stations. Or how about offering training to A&Ps and thereby expand the availability of ECIs? What a novel concept: support the customer who purchased your product in good faith. Welcome to corporate America.

The decision to purchase an alternate prop wouldn’t be an easy one. At least with a hub replacement, the cost-to-benefit ratio includes a component that to the best of my knowledge has eliminated any concerns about cracks.

One lingering thought, however, involves the issue of bad timing. It’s as if I expect to replace the hub or prop and a week later, the Hartzell/FAA coalition finally accepts the reality that the experience of years of flight hours and completed ECIs on the affected hubs prove that they do not expose owners to sufficient potential for blade failures to warrant continuation of the AD. That’s probably never happened, but just wait until I spend the money. It’d be like washing a car and bringing rain.

If anyone wants to add their $.02, I’m all ears.

Last edited:
I did, Walt, thank you.

To the forum, let me say that after researching my options I have decided to replace the existing "E" hub with a "B" hub and terminate the repetitive ECI requirement. The turning point came with the knowledge that I can do that more economically than I originally thought. From a convenience standpoint alone, it's worth the expense.

Hartzell AD 2009-22-03 alternate compliance

Hartzell has a new mean of compliance with this AD Note which modifies your existing hub, eliminates the need to grease your propeller, installs a 10 weight oil inside your hub with a red dye to alert you in case of problems. We have many units out there at this time, it is working well and a much more reasonable way to comply rather than replace the hub. Cost runs about 2600.00 and includes the OVERHAUL along with it. The cost of a B hub alone
was about $2800.00. The basic 150.00 inspection by Eddy current will probably still apeal to most as the AD note now says 100 hrs in service instead of the yearly requirement. Fly it in, get it done and out the door within 1 hour. Now as for how we charge for this.... Everyone of the Technicians is a level 2 FAA certified NDT inspector. Costs of schooling a
$5000.00 machine and the insurance to go along with it make $150.00 a pretty cheap inspection...... No preaching... FLY SAFE Laurie Marshall

Here are the costs associated with the saga:

1. On-airplane ECI with an 80 mile round trip to the facility: $400.
2. Off airplane take it to them myself: $200.
3. Taking a prop off and putting it back on for a five-minute inspection every 100 hours in my opinion is an absurd solution, so I'd be more likely to choose the more expensive option
4. New "B" hub from Hartzell: $3000
5. But Hartzell won't replace the hub without doing at overhaul at an additional $3400, total $6400.
6. That's only $760 less than a new blended airfoil prop from Van's.
7. I talked with Hartzell about the alternate terminating action (oil filled) and I think that introduces the potential for a whole new set of problems.
8. One of the shops 80 miles from me will replace the hub for $2000.
9. I don't think the trade option has any appeal for me.
10. Put it all together, considering the inconvenience and cost factor of dealing with the more expensive version of repetitive ECIs, and this seems to be the best choice.

If the WSTAIRPROP post is from Western Aircraft Propeller in The Dalles, OR, aircraft owners near you have a great ally in the AD wars. I don't live in Oregon.

I happen to believe that the few incidents of blade separations prompting the AD were isolated events, and that the number of cracked hubs discovered since the ECI requirement began don't justify continuation. Hartzell and the FAA, on the other hand, would have us believe that the affected hubs present a clear, present, and persistent danger. If in fact that is the case, the alternate compliance is a Band Aid on an open wound.

While spending "about" $2600 to comply with the AD in this manner eliminates the repetitive ECI requirement, it does nothing to address the core issue, which is the potential for non-suffix hubs to develop cracks and lead to blade separations. If you believe that the danger is real, this doesn't deal with it. After the alternate method is accomplished, the cracks could still appear and the $2600 spent on alternate compliance is good money thrown after bad.

"Mr. Budget" is my copilot. Replacing my "E" hub with a "B" hub for $2000 as quoted to me appears to be the best solution when seeking a compromise between the two extremes of an overhaul with a new hub or replacing the prop, or continuing to deal with repetitive ECIs.

Last edited:
Here are the costs associated with the saga:

1. On-airplane ECI with an 80 mile round trip to the facility: $400.
2. Off airplane take it to them myself: $200.
3. Taking a prop off and putting it back on for a five-minute inspection every 100 hours in my opinion is an absurd solution, so I'd be more likely to choose the more expensive option
4. New "B" hub from Hartzell: $3000
5. But Hartzell won't replace the hub without doing at overhaul at an additional $3400, total $6400.
6. That's only $760 less than a new blended airfoil prop from Van's.
7. I talked with Hartzell about the alternate terminating action (oil filled) and I think that introduces the potential for a whole new set of problems.
8. One of the shops 80 miles from me will replace the hub for $2000.
9. I don't think the trade option has any appeal for me.
10. Put it all together, considering the inconvenience and cost factor of dealing with the more expensive version of repetitive ECIs, and this seems to be the best choice.

What is your mission and how bad do you really need a constant speed prop? You could possibly sell it, go to a catto fixed pitch (ditch some weight and complexity as well) and come out ahead with some left over cash for avgas.

As with so many other discussion topics in aviation or any other subject, the fixed-pitch versus variable-speed debate could probably fill pages in this forum. From my perspective, and it's admittedly that of a guy with far less prop than jet time, it simply makes little sense to abandon the ability to separately adjust rpm and manifold pressure. It could be that I'm a "fiddler" in the cockpit and don't feel whole without the third control to play around with.

But for whatever reason, right now, with a CS prop on the airplane and longer trips in cruise the objective, I'm more interested in fixing the problem I have with a known quantity than trying something completely different.

I just returned from the prop shop, where the owner removed my old hub and replaced it with a "B" while I watched. I paid $1500 for the hub, $400 in labor, and $123 in tax.

We talked a good bit, and when the subject of the alternate compliance method using an oil-filled hub came up, he made it very clear that he has no intention of doing that for anyone because he doesn't believe it's worth the money for what you get, and the hub is going to leak oil. He also said it wouldn't surprise him if Hartzell came out with a requirement that all the old hubs have to be converted oil-filled, which would (if his crystal ball is an accurate one), eliminate the option of using repetitive ECI's as a method of AD compliance.

This new hub eliminates all of that. For this aviator, it's a good feeling to be rid of the AD and any surprises that either the older hub or Hartzell may have in store.

Hartzell can't eliminate repetitive ECI's because they don't write the AD, the FAA does. If the FAA chose to revise the AD, that would have to go through the rulemaking process. That said, the B hub is worth the money simply in convenience. We replaced the whole propeller when we were faced with that decision, simply because we flew enough that the economics made sense.

I also think that of all the companies making certified propellers, Hartzell is the one that is doing good things for general aviation. If you look at the way they work with RV's and other experimenters in general, it's pretty awesome. They've done things that the smaller companies haven't been able to (Testing for compatibility) and brought a lot of good products to market.

When the AD first came out, they discounted replacement hubs to $1000 if you sent your old hub in. That was on hubs that were already 10+ years old, since the A and B hubs have been around since the 90's.