Bill_H

Well Known Member
Patron
I am a first-time builder, almost done. I love the building but not for its own sake! And particularly spending lots of time on something really boring - like sanding...
For me the ideal RV-12 kit (E-LSA not EAB) would be:
1. Tail section as it is. That is a fun build.
2. Wings as they are. Ditto.
3. Fuselage kit OK as is, just add pre-bent longerons. (At least they could be "close! Although mine were not bad to do but I had experienced help - search for THWACK for details) And more room in the "tunnel" - the wires and tubing and fuel pump should be to the side of, not beneath, the control mechanisms.
5. A single canopy fairing piece, not a layup.
6. Maybe even a pre-done canopy, but that was not a difficult build except for the layup and multiple sanding and filling.
6. Pre-cut and fitted wheel pants. Ditto the tail fairing. Too much labor in those things!
7. Pre-assembled fuel tank. Blown plastic, 25 gal. Level sender on top, not the side. There are no new skills associated with making the fuel tank, just hours of messy work.****
8. Cowlings already fitted and no pinholes (just spent a bunch of sweaty hours with Smooth Prime and sanding).
9. Wing-mount pitot option to incorporate AOA. Quick-disconnect at the wing root.
10. Bigger inspection plates on the bottom.

Other Ideas?

****A 25 gallon fuel tank as a single blown piece. Nipples for rubber fuel line connector sections are already there. Then you cut it in half at the equator. Glue in plastic baffle pieces. Glue the two halves back together - or it could be flanged at the equator for later access inside if needed. Sit it on a rubber pad and hold it down with metal straps. LOTS LESS pro-seal if any!