WSBuilder

Well Known Member
Building the spar bulkhead I'm finding several dimension variances (3/16") that I'm told to just "make it fit." The angles that establish floor heights and control tunnel dimensions are dominated by the jig-drilled spar mate holes. I get that, but what's the impact to the cockpit later on?

Last edited:
Ouch...

Yes, and if you check the title block in the dwg, you'll find that Van changed the dimension on the location of those angles. He actually moved it so that
they cut right across the pre drilled holes. I just moved it back to the original location. Haven't done the fuse yet, so I don't know if it will matter. But what choice do you have ?....

John

Angle Locations

Joe,
John has it right...the angles that establish floor height and tunnel width. The angles "hide" some predrilled holes in the bulkhead. I haven't investigated ahead to see the impact, but there's no choice.

Photos

Bill,

I'm getting ready to paint the cockpit so everything inside my fuselage has been removed. I can take a photo or two. I don't quite understand your question but would be happy to photograph the spar bulkhead from different angles. Maybe that would help?

Sincerely, Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

Bill, on mine the bolt holes are just above the floor angle pieces. There was were two on the front side of the spar that I just simply cut the angles to allow the bolt to slip through. Frankly, I really didn't mess with the bulkheads 'till I started building the fuselage, so as everything matched.

Foot-level pictures

Brian Vickers said:
Bill,

I'm getting ready to paint the cockpit so everything inside my fuselage has been removed. I can take a photo or two. I don't quite understand your question but would be happy to photograph the spar bulkhead from different angles. Maybe that would help?

Sincerely, Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

Brian,
Thanks for your help! Basically, if you can get shots at the floor level toward the 404 bulkhead it would help me visualize what all integrates with those angles.

Floor support photos

Bill,
Here is a set of three photos. Can take more. Hope this helps you.

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers, RV4 project

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4387.jpg

Spot On!

Perfect! Not only does this address my questions, it's inspirational. Thanks! But I also see that the fuselage bottom C-channel and the side longerons need to form up with those bulkhead angles at the same water line (height) to form the floor. I guess a few 1/16's are a show stopper, but it would be nice if they're level.
Looks like you're doing a great job, BTW. What primers did you use?

RV4 floor supports

Bill,

Glad the photos were helpful.

Over the years I have used: Dupont Variprime, PPG DPLF 50 (gray), and Sherwin Williams wash primer (can't remember product code off hand). I like DPLF the best but it's expensive and heavy. The inside of my wings is all Sherwin Williams (easier to get a light coat applied).

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers, RV4 - Starting to work on post airframe construction systems (65% done?)

pics are helpful

Yes, that does help. Also helpful is having the fuse dwgs. That should clear things up.

Another thing that picture jogged loose in my memory :). The big hole in the F404 for the control stick. The manual says something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here). If you're tired of beating your brains out trying to get the stick through the hole, it's permissable to expand the hole by 1/2 " or so. If it's permissable, I'm expanding it now !!

John

Stepped in THAT, too.

I laid out the holes on each (4) part according to the drawings, but fortunately undersized the actual cut. Turns out after assembly that the spar doubler doesn't index the same off the bottom, so the holes were joggled relative to each other. I've read too many threads saying they enlarged the hole, so I was expecting this.