Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
This evening, the hobbs rolled past the big forty!!! I'm outta jail now!!!

Enjoyed the practice area for at least 100 laps but it's time to venture out in the big world. Even managed to get 3 night landings in tonight. Man did they seem easy since the wind had died down.

Weather predicted to be ugly tomorrow so it gets a rest and then the bride gets THE first ride the beast will have as a passenger to her home town in Lousianna on Sunday.

Woo Hoo!

CONGRATS Webb!

I hope you guys enjoy the first flight together!

You know, that is sort of a test hop too...test item: "Do two ear to ear RV Grins fit in one cockpit?" :)

Have fun!!

Cheers,
Bob

Lucky you! I've been getting mostly CAVU but blustery or low ceilings. Still, I'm up to 30 and hopefully can get it done in the next week or so. Enjoy that freedom.

This evening, the hobbs rolled past the big forty!!! I'm outta jail now!!!

Not so fast big guy, the FAA requirement is 40 flight hours. You have to subtract all of the time you run up the engine, breakin time, taxi time, landing roll outs, waiting for traffic, ect. You can't just go by the Hobbs meter hitting 40. ;)

I'm just kidding Web, congrats and have a safe passenger flight.

Last edited:
Errr - I meant 80

Not so fast big guy, the FAA requirement is 40 flight hours. You have to subtract all of the time you run up the engine, breakin time, taxi time, landing roll outs, waiting for traffic, ect. You can't just go by the Hobbs meter hitting 40. ;)

I'm just kidding Web, congrats and have a safe passenger flight.

Uh - I meant 80, yah....that's it. Can't wait and thanks.

Mark - Shreveport (DTN)

Congrats. on the fly off. If you have a certified engine/new hartzell prop do they generally give you a 25 hr fly off?

YEP!

As long as there are no modifications to the engine. i.e. electronic ignition, etc.

Have to have both

Congrats. on the fly off. If you have a certified engine/new hartzell prop do they generally give you a 25 hr fly off?

Ya gotta have both. I have a Superior engine, hence the 40. Honestly, it wasn't that big a deal. Gas is down and it was a great excuse to go fly so much in the last few weeks.

Congratulations - maybe you can get yourself a new cigar now? : )

Im at 37.5 hrs, so Im right behind you.

erich

That is great.

Now you have to pick your first passenger.
This is like having to display who is first, second and third on your speed dial.

Again, Congratulations. :)

I'ts time

Congratulations - maybe you can get yourself a new cigar now? : )

Im at 37.5 hrs, so Im right behind you.

erich

You're right - It's time for a new stogie - I see one in the future. That Montecristo hanging from my mouth sure has lasted a long time.

Test plan?

Hey Webb,

I'm getting ready to roll out my 6A after 11 years in the making. I'm curious as to the test program you used. Did you happen to document the program, what your planned tests were, results, maybe a running account of time? I would love to get info on this to help build the program for my plane.:)

I found these flight test cards on a VAF site and downloaded the full version and modified them for my own purposes. Things like altitudes, operating parameters, and so on.

Use Flion's lists

Hey Webb,

I'm getting ready to roll out my 6A after 11 years in the making. I'm curious as to the test program you used. Did you happen to document the program, what your planned tests were, results, maybe a running account of time? I would love to get info on this to help build the program for my plane.:)

I didn't do a lot of documentation on the testing. Perhaps the best answer is I didn't want to make it a drudgery and just wanted to enjoy the flying while learning what to expect. The first 20 was fix squawks and tweak. The second 20 were things like slow flight after the engine break-in time, stalls, speed vs power settings, vx, vy, vso, fuel burn, speed vs power settings, gallons per hour vs power settings, power out glide, commercial maneuvers (more precise flying skills), etc...

I didn't have a specific schedule of what needed to be done on each flight. It more of a hmmm... I need to do stalls and slow flight today, and while I've got time I think that I will practice commercial manuevers just to get the feel for this baby.

40 hours is a long time in the cockpit by yourself. The best advice is make a list and check it off as you go but be sure to make it fun.

Last edited:
That night

Webb,

Don't forget to make your log book entry!

Congratulations!

Ted

It was done that night.

My handwritting is less than stellar but it contains the usual mumbo jumbo and Vx, Vy, Vso, and CG for full fuel and me.