leeschaumberg

Well Known Member
I will be buying headsets in the very near future. I have read all the posts about headsets. Bose is great if you want to spend 1000 dollars. So what are the best without spending 1000 dollars? Sometimes they will be powered by the panel, dc outlet, or batteries. My requirements are long wearing time and low noise. I know, I know, not easy.
Lee

An old saying...

A long time ago a friend of mine told me an old saying:

"If you buy the best, you only cry once."

I bought the bose headsets, and I cried, but now I just enjoy them.

Buy the Bose. You won't cry because you won't need to buy another set. My David Clarks are sitting in a drawer. I have the panel powered Bose X. No batteries required and only one plug.

Roberta
Bose and Glad of it.

Whatever you buy, just be sure they are Noise Cancelling! I went flying with Jay Pratt a few weekends ago, and showed up with my non-noise cancelling David Clarks. They are great in a 172 environment, but not great in an non-muffled RV. I tried mine, then plugged up a set of David Clark's that Jay had converted to noise-cancelling....the difference was incredible.

Jay used his Bose, and I went with his NC David Clark's. My non-NC DC's sat in the back, in the case.

I figured in any case you would go with a noise-cancelling set. I guess my point is that if you have some David Clark's, or most any other non-cancelling variety, you can easily have them converted to noise cancelling and/or buy the kit and install it yourself. If you already have headset(s), this option will save you some cash for sure. I have already ordered a noise-cancelling kit for my DC's (since I can't justify the Bose right now, when I am needing to buy a fuselage in the near future!)

leeschaumberg said:
I will be buying headsets in the very near future. I have read all the posts about headsets. Bose is great if you want to spend 1000 dollars. So what are the best without spending 1000 dollars? Sometimes they will be powered by the panel, dc outlet, or batteries. My requirements are long wearing time and low noise. I know, I know, not easy.
Lee

Last year at AirVenture, I was in the market for a good ANR headset and price was not an issue. Only the best for my RV. I tried on most of the brand name headsets offered. Personally, I thought the Bose was overrated and in the end gladly bought the $675 Telex Stratus 50D. I couldn't be more pleased. Everybody percieves sound differently but the 50D is easily the quietest headset I've ever used. The biggest problem I had was loaning them out for people to try (a way of showing off) and then not wanting to return them, especially my 757 pilot buddy who owns a Bonanza. When you turn on the "white noise" to cancel engine noise etc, the effect is (to me) amazing. Try to get a demonstration or perhaps borrow ANR headsets from other pilots to try out on your own ears before you settle on headsets you'll likely use for years to come.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Quite soon, I will be getting the Lightspeed Twenty or Thirty 3G. I prefer the Twenty for price and performance. I really don't hear how the Thirty can justify the additional $100 or so price tag.

Check them out.

:cool: CJ

Lee
I tried several of the ANR headsets including the Bose and DID NOT like any of them. To me the added sound pressure of the extra "noise" was too much for me. I finally found the Clarity Aloft by Aloft Technologies(clarityaloft.com). Now I'm very happy in my 9A. No extra "noise" to stop noise, you don't have any head clamping fatigue and you can wear almost any hat you want.
Frank

Frank N821BF said:
Lee
I tried several of the ANR headsets including the Bose and DID NOT like any of them. To me the added sound pressure of the extra "noise" was too much for me. I finally found the Clarity Aloft by Aloft Technologies(clarityaloft.com). Now I'm very happy in my 9A. No extra "noise" to stop noise, you don't have any head clamping fatigue and you can wear almost any hat you want.
Frank

I have two Clarity Aloft headsets. My wife & I prefer using them over the Bose X for the same reasons as Frank.

I highly recommend trying a set before making a final decision.

Ben Beaird
-6A

After 1400 hours and many different type headsets including ANR my wife and I both wear AuriComm's. http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ They are the best headsets I have every worn, and at $365.00 each, when adjusted for inflation they are the cheapest headsets I have purchased in the past 30+ years.

Russ Daves
RV-10 (Fuselage)
RV-6A Sold

Lightspeed 20XLC

I've had several different ANR headsets give me a headache as soon as they were turned on. I now have the Lightspeed 20XLC. No headache at all and very comfortable. I've put about 100 hours in the last couple of months on them. I've had them on for several 6-8 hour trips and they are very comfortable over a long flight. The cost is great too, I think I paid around 350-400 for them. If you get a chance try out one of the booths at Oshkosh that have a variety of headset brands. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Plus if you get one of the Lightspeeds you are an instant member of the Mickey Mouse Club. :D

Cam, I started off looking at the 20XLc. VERY nice headset and a VERY competitive price! I have a smartphone, with an MP3 player built in. I plugged it into the aux jack of the headset and the 3G series was better acoustically. I plan on using the phone alot, so I dismissed the 20XLc. If I weren't using the phone, HANDS DOWN the nod would be for the 20XLc.

I am to pick up my brand new Twenty 30G today and take it for a maiden flight, phone and all. I think I will take the Thirty for a ride too and compare them.

:D CJ

Best Head set

Bose is good but no longer has a corner on the market and are very expensive compared to the other top of the line headsets. I assume you are talking about active noise canceling. You Choice is Bose, Lightspeed, Peltor, DC, Telex................... The list is long. The old "Get what you pay for" is true but Bose is at real premium and the performance of the lesser priced Lightspeed's for example are as good or better, making them a better value. However the Bose are great, but some people don't like all their construction features (form/fit/function).

You can look at charts of "dB" noise reduction all-day but I find the "form, fit & function" is the most important. Which means, how does it feel on your head, size, weight, battery pack/controls, battery life and special functions, like cel phone input and stereo music. Are you going to listen to music? A good headset may not be good for quality stereo music. Research all the comparisons and go to a store or airshow and try them all on. Demo it in an airplane if you can or at least plan on wearing it for more than 30 seconds. I would suggest if you are a bargain hunter and don't mind used, try eBay. The lightspeeds are probably the best value/quality and you can get good deals. Lightspeed has improved components over the last few years to improve music playback even more. I would talk to them directly if this is important. If music is not important, you don't have to buy the top of the line model. Cheers George

The Headset I Will Buy

Thank you all for replying. After comparing all that I read and talking to differant folks I have decided on the Auri-Comm II . It sells for 91.00 per ounce. ( dav1111 ) told me to look at this one. (Thanks) I still need to call them and ask some questions. The Auri-Comm II is not ANR but it is quiter than a quiet ANR headset. Cranial vise gripping and weight is very low. (4 oz) Earplugs are available extra so differant pilots don't have to put some thing in thier ear that some one else had.
I will be at Oshkosh this year so if any one sees me they can ask how I like it. I am male , 5'11' , gross weight less than 160 lbs , and will be wearing a RV8 ball cap.
Lee

Full cup head sets

I fly jets as well as RV's. I have not seen anyone with small "ear plug" headsets in a RV before. RVs are real noisy and a good full cup head set will, in my opinion serve you better, but it is your ears , good luck.
Good luck, George