Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
As you may know these two brothers fly version I Glassair tail draggers as the Hammer Brothers Racing Team. Bruce lives in Louisianna and Steve lives in Georgia. They are special. They fly to races, they camp, they put up their banner and they support each other the way brothers should. It is very inspiring to the distant observer like me who had a very special brother. A few months ago Steve was working on his property and fell out of a tree onto his concrete driveway. Many bones were broken literally from head to foot. It was a near death experience and the recovery period will be long. Last Month Bruce took Steve to Sun 'n' Fun and Steve told Bruce he really enjoyed it. Steve can't fly his own plan for a long time as PIC, maybe two years. Well, I received a letter from Bruce yesterday and he said Steve is looking for a "sit in PIC" for his very special plane in the 2008 AirVenture Cup Race. So the Hammer Brothers will be there. What a team, what brothers.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I don't know really

Bruce's letter to me just says:

"Steve is trying to line up a PIC for his plane so we both may race, if not we'll fly together."

The "sit in PIC" in my earlier post were my words and don't mean anything really. I believe he is looking for someone with actual experience in that model Glassair taildragger that he can trust but again I am not there so I don't really know.

Bob Axsom

Steve Hammer is Back!

Received from Steve this morning (7-18-2010):

To all of you who know about my accident over 2 1/2 years ago and have just about given up -- I have some good news to report. I was granted a special issuance medical by the FAA and I hope to be back in the air as soon as I get the paperwork in my hand. I should get the letter from the FAA this next week or if not they will fax me the paperwork so that I will have it before Oshkosh. Now all I have to do is get my airplane back together so I have something to fly. ...

Take Care,

Steve