glfrdug

Well Known Member
I thought I saw some posts on the Great Air Race....I cannot find them now...anyone know whats up?
Doug

Heard some scuttlebutt that this is a re-incarnation of a deal that took some people's money back in '05. Until I can be conviced otherwise I removed it. Could be wrong...why take a chance?

b,
d

Naval/nautical vernacular

Scuttlebutt? Doug, I'm very pleased you're using Navy phraseology on this site!! Good on ya! :D

Now for some more:

It's not a ceiling, it's an overhead
It's not a wall, it's a bulkhead
It's not the floor, it's the deck
It's not a door, it's a hatch
They're not stairs, they're ladders
It's not up font or back there, it's fore and aft
It's not the front and back, it's the bow and stern
It's not left or right, but port and starboard
It's not up there, it's aloft
We're not going backwards, we have stern way
It's not candy/soda, it's geedunk
It's not....oh wait, I'd better get back to work

Last edited:
AF / Navy Terminology

tobinbasford said:
Scuttlebutt? Doug, I'm very pleased you're using Navy phraseology on this site!! Good on ya! :D

Now for some more:

It's not a ceiling, it's an overhead
It's not a wall, it's a bulkhead
It's not the floor, it's the deck
It's not a door, it's a hatch
They're not stairs, they're ladders
It's not the up font or back there, it's fore and aft
It's not the front and back, it's the bow and stern
It's not left or right, but port and starboard
It's not up there, it's aloft
We're not going backwards, we have stern way
It's not candy/soda, it's geedunk
It's not....oh wait, I'd better get back to work

When I was in the Air Force I had the Privelidge (or punishment :D ) to work with some Navy Fellows on occasion. The term that always threw me for a loop was "muster". We always called it "Show Time". Either way Muster and Show Time denote what time you had to show up for something.

Spizzzarko said:
Muster and Show Time denote what time you had to show up for something.
When I was in the Air Force, we called it , "Hurry up and wait!"

The term that always threw me for a loop was "muster".

Yep, we still use the term "muster" everyday, kinda like roll call.

some more:

It's not a bathroom, it's a head (Navy/Marines don't call them latrines)
It's not a jail, it's a brig
It's not a cafeteria, it's the mess decks (On a ship, galley if it's ashore)
It's not a bunk room, it's a berthing compartment
It's not AWOL, it's UA, as in Unathorized Absence

Last edited:
Marine lingo:

ship = boat
boat = ship

It get the sailors mad every time :D

Jekyll

Last edited:
Morning, Fossil!

What I heard (from two people) was that this was a re-hash of a '05 attempt at a documentary (same producer). Lots of application fees were collected and no film. Pat P of the air racing league was involved in this and said it was definitely not a pleasurable experience or memory.

Still researching...I'll keep you in the loop.

b,d

Boat vs Ship

When I was serving in the big US yacht club I was taught that the difference between a boat and a ship was that you could put a boat on a ship but you couldn't put a ship on a boat.

An example would be a liberty launch on a aircraft carrier. But you can't put an aircraft carrier on a liberty launch. I quess you can try but you won't see the scrap.

Just thought I'd explain to Jekyll why sailors get PO'd.

Would this thing about the Air Race be considered messdeck intelligence?

I know this is all off topic but I couldn't resist.

Jekyll said:
Marine lingo:

ship = boat
boat = ship

It get the sailors mad every time :D

Jekyll
Ahoy Matey,
Belay this bilge! The bible (Bluejackets Manual) defines anything at less than 40' and/or 40 tons as a boat, greater than these, a ship. EXCEPTION: Submarines are always known as boats.
Grayhawk, USN (Retired), Member of Colorado Wing, Van's Naval Air Forces

========
Now to make this On Topic: I have been passing the air race rumors on to a certified friend who was joining up; so please keep the information coming.
Thanks,

Fearless and Grayhawk:

Marines know the difference, we just like kicking hornets nests. One simple word can get every sailor within earshot PO'ed. We thrive on such simple fun.

I worked for a Colonel who once spoke to an auditorium full of Air Force officers. His first words upon taking the mic were "I've got you all surrounded". Not one person objected. :D

I was briefing a gaggle of Navy Captains back in 97. There was a young female Navy Lieutenant in the room. One of the Captains mentioned how the Marines were acquiring a lot of neat, high speed, low altitude weapons. I responded that no matter how high tech, high speed and low altitude our weapons get, Marines still like to get in close, knife the enemy in the guts and feel their warm blood drip off our fingers. The female Lieutenant turned gray, wobbled and quickly left the room. Great fun!

We're not known to be timid. :cool:

Jekyll
USMC retired

Last edited: