USCANAM

Well Known Member
For those lucky enough this year to get a 696 for Christmas or Hanukkah, or in trade for a vacuum cleaner (more to come on that), you have probably found that even with the internal antenna of the 696, it receives the signals where other units wont.
I found that with the 696 mounted in my panel, it would hold some satellites even after I would push the plane into my metal hangar.
Sometimes, turning the unit on in the hangar, after about 5 minutes or so, it might aquire enough to navigate, but it was marginal.
We did a test and taped the supplied external antenna to the area where my other 2 GPS antennas are, (under the rear window), and it aquired these signals in just a few minutes.

By USCANAM
The external antenna is now installed.
While we had absolutely no problem with the internal antenna, this proves that it does work better with the external one.

Happy and Healthy New Year to all
Jack
RV9A (Harvey)
77 hours

Last edited:
That is a nice installation. GPS signals are relatively weak so an internal antenna on a panel mount unit would seem marginal, especially in a metal aircraft. Interesting that you got good results.

What made you go with the 696 when u have the 530...?

The resolution, colors, and clarity of the 696 are far above that of the 530. It's just got a much more powerful processor. But then I'm not the one you're asking. :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A/696

Here's Why

What made you go with the 696 when u have the 530...?
Many reasons, but here's a couple
1. The only difference between men and ....................................................
2. I wasn't happy with the balance of my panel in that area with the 296 and the Strike Finder below it. Call me vain, but this is my personal aircraft, and I have to be happy with all aspects of it.
3. But most important, I like the idea of having my charts and plates there in case I don't have the paper ones with me.
4. The large instrument backup panel.
5. That vacuum cleaner thing!!

As a added bonus, I've learned how easy it is to lay out a flight plan.
Basically what I do is enter my departure and arrival points, and add all the waypoints around the line between them that appears on the large screen. Sooo easy
There's more, but I'll save it for a later post
Regards
Jack

A friend of mine got one from Santa, and I got to play around with it a bit.

Its awesome.

I really like the cursor joystick/rotary encoder. Makes adding waypoints to your flight plan really quick and easy.

For the serious IFR flyer the 696 is the best thing out there. For my type of flying the 396 I have is more than satisfactory.

Many reasons, but here's a couple
1. The only difference between men and ....................................................
2. I wasn't happy with the balance of my panel in that area with the 296 and the Strike Finder below it. Call me vain, but this is my personal aircraft, and I have to be happy with all aspects of it.
3. But most important, I like the idea of having my charts and plates there in case I don't have the paper ones with me.
4. The large instrument backup panel.
5. That vacuum cleaner thing!!

As a added bonus, I've learned how easy it is to lay out a flight plan.
Basically what I do is enter my departure and arrival points, and add all the waypoints around the line between them that appears on the large screen. Sooo easy
There's more, but I'll save it for a later post
Regards
Jack

Ok........

Im am still trying to figure out the vacuum thing..?

I am finishing my re-built pilots panel and I was thinking of the same. Actually I wanted to install a GRT HX, however with the ever changing technology, I am not sure what I want. I like the idea of the charts. Why don't the efis manufacturers have this feature? I Don't know what the h e l l I want. I need to take a closer L@@K at the 696.

Last edited:
Ok........

Im am still trying to figure out the vacuum thing..?
Will have an update on that in about a week!!
BTW
Being the lazy person I am, rather than try and figure out what the 696 manual is saying, I got the Sporty's DVD for $30 which covers most of the operating techniques of the unit.
I compared some of the features that were shown with a friend who flies a new 182 with the G1000, and for on-route updates and flight information and planning, they are very similar in operation and information. With just a few turns and pushes of the joystick and soft and hard keys, you have a lot of information that can be retrieved quickly.

If I were to do it over again, I would have a basic 6 pack to replace my Blue Mountain Sport EFIS. I'd be happy then and still keep the 530, and 696.
I decided on the Sport because I thought I'd like having the auto pilot combined with the EFIS, but I think having a dedicated control unit for controlling the A/P is better. The 6 pack would have to include an HSI of course.
Jack