RBD

Well Known Member
I started to respond to Paul Dye's "The trip that wasn't" thread, but then got carried away on the keyboard, and thought I should just create a new thread to share this:

“The Weather is what the weather is – not what we want it to be…..”

Sometimes, we have to remind ourselves that no matter how hard we stare at the weather charts and reports, they aren’t going to change to show what we want.
Timely post, Paul. Having only made a few overnight trips in this first year of owning my first airplane, I haven't had to deal with wx to any great extent. Most of my flying has been local 30 minute after work stress relievers, weekend fly-ins, and breakast/lunch runs with others. Simply put, if I didn't like the wx at the time, I didn't fly.

Fast forward to last week, and my annual company party in Key West. I had the option of a commercial flight, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to fly the RV down, so that's what we did. When everyone was departing (commercial) on Sunday, I was staring at the weather apps on my phone, realizing that we weren't flying home. Well shoot, what to do. We ended up flying over to Marathon to stay with my aunt and uncle for the night. I was pretty sure that we would make it out Monday morning and get to work just an hour or so late. We were enjoying our unplanned extra day in the Keys, but the weather was never far from my thoughts.

I must have checked the metars, TAF's, and other wx info every hour, hoping it would change - it didn't. Monday morning, I increased my wx-checking scan to what seemed like once every 15 minutes, but as you've indicated, Paul, staring at the reports won't change them. Unfortunately, I learned that while staring at the wx reports long enough may not change them, staring at them long enough can begin to affect what you're seeing, IF YOU LET IT. I began to selectively see only the parts of the wx reports that worked for me. "We should be able to fly through these layers" and "even if it is MVFR at XXX airport, we aren't landing there, just flying over," I thought. The pressure of getting home began to mount, and I decided that we'd launch to "at least see what it was like."

It wasn't nice. I quickly got on top of a scattered/broken layer at 1,000 and flew between it and a similar layer at 4,000. We flew till I hit the Florida mainland (I saw only a glimpse of it, but the GPS assured me it's where we were) and the layers began to converge. Things began to change physiologically, and I wasn't comfortable. This wasn't the fun RV flying I signed up for, and in fact, I was miserable. Finally, the little bit of smarts I know I have in me made a stand, and "Baby, you're not making it to work today - we're going back to Marathon" crackled through the intercom. She was happy to hear it. We got below the lower layer and ran back to MTH at 700ft over the water. An hour or so later and we were on our way to Tampa in a one-way rental car.

I'll be the first to admit I should have never taken off. There's no sense in me pointing out all of the exact places where I made bad choices, as they're pretty evident. Let me also say that at no point did my wife ever pressure me into making any decision - she is (literally) firmly behind me when it comes to flying decisions. It's a blind trust that I feel I violated, and we've talked about it. I guess it's naive to say that "get-there-itis" will never strike again, but I certainly learned something from this short flight, and have hopefully added a few more "smarts" to my dwindling supply as a result of it.

The wx tomorrow evening sure looks perfect for one of those fun RV flights I'm used to. Can't wait to go get her.

Last edited:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

Sounds to me like you just gained a lot of wisdom that will help you in the future Ryan. You can read Richard Collins (I'm dating myself) all day long, but sooner or later, the real lessons will come when you're in the cockpit and some place you'd rather not be. THOSE lessons will stick with you and make you a superior pilot.

Thanks for sharing your story - there are lots more just like it that go untold, and if it makes one person think about their next marginal take-off, it has increased the "goodness" of the aviation universe....

Paul

Ryan,

In Germany, people say "learning by doing" this is a phrase that has crept into the German language, in all walks of life and it means just that. You will never learn what it is like to fly in "bad" weather until you have actually experienced it.

Sounds like you left yourself an "out" which meant returning to Marathon. The problems really start occurring when you do not have an "out". In other words a safe haven to escape to. To be honest your only way out would have been back to Marathon or Key West bearing in mind everything north was pretty dire. Cuba could have been an option but lets not go there.

Always make sure you have an "out" before you launch into bad weather.

You did a good job doing the 180 and at the very least you learned some from this experience.