JonJay

Well Known Member
My neighbor and I where discussing the wonderful resources available in this forum when the topic turned to the people that we both recognized as "when they speak, we listen." If I see a response from one of them, I stop and read their advice carefully. Not to exclude the dozens if not hundreds of knowledgable people that contribute to this site, I thought I would list those that we both recognized as being the best of the best. Myself, well I am the ultimate "Jack of All Trades, Expert at None." I think I have contributed as much misinformation as good information so I count on these people. Here is the list; Feel free to edit add or comment;

DR - You have to read the site owners comments. He runs the show, and what a show it is. He is also the main reason this place is civil, kind, and beneficial to all that enter it. Pretty rare in a public forum especially with all the type AAA people that make up the world of pilots.

Mel - All things RV but especially documentation and certification. He also reminds all of us who want to cram 10lbs into a 5lb box, or over engineer everything to something better that he has countless hours on his "per plans" stock, machine.

Walt - Maintenance Guru extraordinaire. Can't think of anybody who contributes more to the safety aspects of our machines and what we can do on the ground to make sure we are safe in the air. I have reworked more than one system as a result of his comments on other peoples posts.

Paul and Louise - Who doesn't enjoy Paul's whimsical tales, stories, and fluid writing skills. All of that wrapped up in a world of practical advice, expertice and knowledge. I think he found his perfect side kick, or she found her perfect side kick. Not sure what way that goes.

Dan H - Test it, kick it, smell it, kill it. Dan's practical approach to materials and engineering is awe inspiring. That coupled with a level of craftsmanship and detail that few could ever achieve makes me look twice.

Kevin H - If you test airplanes for a living, you probably know your stuff and Kevin does. I have used his procedures in my flight regime many times.

Gil - If Gil can not refer you to a published standard, rule, chart, or other reference, nobody can.

Don - Airflow Performance, all things fuel injection. I have had several occasions to solicit his help. He has always taken my phone call and spends whatever amount of time on the line to help. Can't thank him enough.

Pierre, Sam, RocketBob, Falcon, Joe, Stein, I could go on and on, but I am doing this from memory so I apologize as I know I have left out many that I trust and respect.

My Point Again - when these people speak, you are wise to listen and heed what they say. I do, and I can not thank them enough for thier contributions to this forum or to my own knowledge. Vansairforce is the strongest user community I have ever been associated with and no wonder with the kind of talent that volunteer to spend thier time supporting those like me that need it!

Please feel free to add those to this post that you feel contribute as "The Best of the Best" of VansAirforce.

I feel Honored to be on your list, and I sincerely appreciate your kind words.

Hopefully my posts have added some level of awareness, and ultimately safety, to this great hobby which I really do love.

To me machines are more than just a bunch of parts, they have a soul (my wife says I'm crazy) and they should be treated with love and respect, if you do that, then they will never let you down :D

The only problem with a list like that is somebody will probably get missed, but that's a pretty august group you mentioned! Definitely the ones I pay attention to.

What about Me?

I'm an expert at asking questions to all those people you mentioned above and after seven years of them tirelessly helping me I have a beautiful flying RV-9A. Thanks to you all!

Last edited:
Thanks for the "thanks"!

We couldn't have answers if there were no questions.
And be sure; we're not just "givers". We learn everyday too.

There's an old saying that I just made up,
"When we stop learning, It's all over!"

The only problem with a list like that is somebody will probably get missed, but that's a pretty august group you mentioned! Definitely the ones I pay attention to.

I'd like to add Mahlon at Mattituck... humble in his approach, but spot on with accurate and informative information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen

I've had similar thoughts many times recently as I (hopefully) approach the end of my RV-10 build. Especially with a more recent model like the RV-10, my many, many thanks to "those who have gone before," the first generation of -10 builders who have come up with better ideas, ways to do things (or not do them), neat products, etc. It has made my build MUCH, MUCH easier to look over their collective shoulders and benefit from their experience. My thanks go to Scott Schmidt, Vic, Geoff, Sean, Tim Olson - I'm sure I'm missing others, but these come to mind on short notice.

Tank building

Rick Galati (Rick6a) set the standard for how to build fuel tanks. His posts are super informative and instructional.

Tony (tkatc) started a little thread before he purchased an RV and has answered questions unwaveringly for 1.5 years. With 45000 views we all needed a little assistance.

Scott Schmidt for his unbelievable vacation photos and trip descriptions.

Everything Dan H writes about.

I could list many more but the best of the best runs deep here on VAF.

Last edited:
I also extend humble thanks. I believe that information and knowledge is never owned - it is simply borrowed from someone else. It is our duty to share it back out so that it is never lost. I've been fortunate to have had many mentors in four decades of aviation/aerospace - I simply want to do them proud by giving back!

Paul

RE: The Best

Hi to all

I say amen to all that has been said to this point about the great folks that have helped us all.

I would also add two others that have grown silent but in many ways have helped us through others that have learned from them.

1. Terry Jantzi .... His flight/trip video with his daughter kept my dream a live when I was down and thinking of giving up.

http://www.iwantarocket.com/rv6/

2. Dan Checkoway .... he could be my son !!!!! but his wonderful CD/web page (no longer available)/ and his ..........

http://www.weathermeister.com/

continue to help us with his computer guru skills.

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A ...

Last edited:
Just stumbled upon this thread. I actually searched Walt's profile for previous replies and found this. I periodically read all of his posts for educational purposes. I find his responses to be pure gold, much like the others you've mentioned. Let me chime in and offer my THANKS!!!

Rosie, too!

Rosie and Tuppergal are also inspirational to me, when I am trying to figure out how to take off 1-2 days per year, when they manage to take off for weeks at a time and go on some awesome flying trips!

I have to question myself on not being able to get away for a vacation, because, I AM my own boss. Something isn't adding up....I heard when you are self-employed, that you can golf, fish, fly, hunt, and mess around all you want all day. :confused::confused::confused: I am doing something wrong :(

John Clark - clear and straight to the point no words or phrases wasted. I read and reread every single post he writes.

I'll echo the praise for Dan H, Kevin, H, Dan C, Piere and Scott S. i'd also like to mention Vlad (love his perspective and writing style) and also, from the past, GMJetPilot. Oh yea, for many reasons, Vic is at the top of my list.

You can be certain... and you can be wrong

[Two sentences that talked about politics removed by me. PLEASE, no politics! dr] (That was historical reference of a decision based on opinion. It was as political as refering to something that George Washington did. It made no comment on politics. It simply presented circumstance as an analogy of the possibility of being incorrect even when being heavily advised by experts. The policy decision it self was irrelevant. I read rules Doug and I follow them )

I think that when people offer an opinion it can often be based on decades of experience and measureable realities. However whenever someone poses a question it is important to remember that it is about something occuring now or to occur in the future, experience based on the past can only go so far with that.

I bet everyone of those individuals you mentioned have been wrong before and in a big way.

Measuring the accuracy of a comment based on a persons reputation is sometimes a life threatening exercise. Basing it on the accuracy of the statement, based on whether that opinion is aligned with the real world sitation needs to be done no matter who is talking.

If anyone is new to the forum I would advise,

Check it yourself, always, make an independant decision. Listen, always listen, because experience counts for a lot, but its not always correct, no matter who you're talking to.

Last edited:
Ross Farnham

Add Ross Farnham to the list. He provides reasoned thought backed up by experience in the Alternative Engines threads. While I don't currently have any plans to use such an engine, it is an area of interest and I always carefully read Ross's informative posts.

Add to list

Without the following "Experimenters", innovators and supporters of this
site we would all be looking for something else to do in the evenings.

VAN
DR
Bob Axom
Mark Frederick
Paul Lipps
Pat Tuckey
Mike Stewart
Dan Horton
Larry Vetterman
Dan Checkoway

All have given to this site and I respect all of them very much for their
thoughts and inspiration.

Boomer:)

I'm really glad you added Paul Lipps to this august list, Boomer. Before his recent passing, I always learned so much from his provocative ideas, and the fact that he backed them up with good math and theory so appealed to the engineer in me. What a gem of our community!

Thanks too to all the other experts mentioned. This is the cheapest classroom I've ever paid to occupy.

Remember that old definition for expert though: an ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip, under pressure!

--
Stephen

I bet everyone of those individuals you mentioned have been wrong before and in a big way.....Check it yourself, always, make an independent decision.

In my case certainly true (got the scars to prove it). And "trust but verify" is (or should be) the VAF motto.

The primary advantage of being an under-educated knucklehead is low expectations; I can screw up in public and nobody is surprised ;)

That said, thank you all.

In my case certainly true (got the scars to prove it). And "trust but verify" is (or should be) the VAF motto.

The primary advantage of being an under-educated knucklehead is low expectations; I can screw up in public and nobody is surprised ;)

That said, thank you all.

Hey, thats supposed to be my line!

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"....lord knows I've had plenty of the latter - somewhere there is an index finger in a landfill to prove it! :)

Cheers,
Stein

I bet everyone of those individuals you mentioned have been wrong before and in a big way.
This is exactly why I very, very rarely give "advice". I tell people my thoughts and experiences, and expect them to use critical thinking skills to determine if can be applied to their own situation. I don't blindly follow other people just becasue of who they are...and I don't expect anyone else to do so.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I would (not so) humbly offer myself

As the "inventor" of the "electric fuel pumps in the wingroots with no mechanical fuel pump system".

But as that has gotten me burned at the stake more times than not maybe not the best list for me...

Still alive after 500 hours..Frank..:)

In over 29 years of dealing RV builders, drivers, enthusiast and Van's since North Plains, I have seen more helpful and important info on this site than any other scorce. The guys that have been identified deserve official awards for helping everyone. Everyone that answers with help is worthy of praise. Thank you all for your contributions that help many more than you will ever know.

Last edited:
Sometimes it isn't the signature that attracts me, but the number of posts. And I don't mean high numbers, either. My hat's off to those guys with one or two posts, the ones who decide to jump into the fray and quit watching from the sidelines. There are certainly a lot more smart people "out there" than there are in the forum, and I want to see if one of them just joined. Sometimes you can tell a lot by that first post. We were all newbies at one time or another and they are the ones that guarantee that this will continue to be the best forum on the web. I'd add "IMHO," but I can't see anyone disagreeing on that. And hat's off to Doug.

Bob

You bring up a good point about the future ...

Sometimes it isn't the signature that attracts me, but the number of posts. And I don't mean high numbers, either. My hat's off to those guys with one or two posts, the ones who decide to jump into the fray and quit watching from the sidelines. There are certainly a lot more smart people "out there" than there are in the forum, and I want to see if one of them just joined. Sometimes you can tell a lot by that first post. We were all newbies at one time or another and they are the ones that guarantee that this will continue to be the best forum on the web. I'd add "IMHO," but I can't see anyone disagreeing on that. And hat's off to Doug.

Bob

Every so often I go to the company site to look at the RV Hobbs Meter. It would be interesting to see the numbers of sold kits (by quantity of builder numbers issued I guess) and see indicators of what the future holds. Not that this site is exclusively for builders at all but those Work In Process numbers relate to the future very strongly I suspect. As more and more people farther removed from everyday aircraft maintenence and industry commit to this trememdously demanding job of building and testing an airplane the need for helpful communication is greater.

Bob Axsom

Jerry Wilcox

I noticed that Jerry Wilcox has recently joined in on the VAF forums. Aside from being a professional firefighter, he has pretty much set the gold standard for RVs in this area having built several. If he has any advice to give, it's pretty much worth listening to IMHO.

You can see the Rocket Jerry has built on another thread.