Scout

I'm New Here
As a future builder I have been admiring other models through their evolution. The RV-6 and then 7 and then 14. Well done.

I am wondering if the skunk works have a like minded improved RV-8 in the works or on the drawing board? is there an RV-16 tandem bird on the way or is the 8 just awesome enough? :)

The RV-4 is just AWESOME, but I held off and got an RV-8 kit.
My eldest son recently bought an RV-4 from a 93 year old gentleman who was a WWII fighter pilot.
I have not finished my RV-8 yet, but I can tell you that it is bigger, taller, harder to reach into while working on the inside, and the cockpit rails are higher in relation to my shoulder compared to the RV-4.
I should not have held back, I could have been flying an inexpensive RV-4 all this time, and totally loving it.
It turns out that I got a sweet deal on a T-18, which I fly while getting the RV-8 ready for final inspection. It's fantastic too, but a bit cramped for me.
My wife loves it.
The point I'm trying to make: Van's planes seem to be getting bigger, being aimed at bigger people as a market.
I'm probably going to be perfect in the RV-8. I've never regretted my choice, but I do regret thinking less of the RV-4 and T-18, now that I know them.

Welcome to VAF!!

Scout
welcome.gif
to VAF

Auburn in which state?

I am wondering if the skunk works have a like minded improved RV-8 in the works or on the drawing board? is there an RV-16 tandem bird on the way? :)

Yeah. I know what you mean. The 8s really need some improvement. I don't see why anyone would buy one. :D:D

donning flame suit :D

I am in Ala-cotton pickin-Bama, Auburn alabama that is!

I like the 4 but wanted a little more shoulder width because of my husky frame. I am short but stocky. The 8 is a nice bird and many of my friends have them. I am waiting to purchase because of not being able to focus on it.

I just didnt want to buy an 8 if Van was coming out with an improved airframe in the next couple of years. Now keep in mind that I have no idea how you could improve on an 8 - you know, without delivering a kit f-16 to my barn!

His majesty Van has made all the difference in the world with his efforts. As a mechanic and pilot I can think of no better marriage of plane and pilot than one of these birds. I am so ready to get started.

RV-8

Don't know why you'd want a bigger RV-8. I flew a guy that weighed 260+ and was, as he put it, "five feet twenty inches" tall in the rear seat. Yes I was within cg range, as I have an angle valve IO-360 up front and it' hard to get the cg aft of the limit. Course his knees were up under his chin.:D

I dont think I would want a bigger 8. I am short and stocky and the only improvements I can imagine would be to tidy up any aerodynamic flow issues- of which I do not know of. Certainly a retractable 8 is something I have considered and looked into. But I wont bother because of the solidity of the current "down and welded" practicality.

Fairings and Fast kits and a well built engine are certainly going to show up in mine so I think the 8 is about as good as it gets airframe wise. Of course, skunk works by their very nature, may know something I do not!

Of course the -8 will be updated and my money says the RV-15 will be it. I've even sent an email to Vans with my prediction and suggestions for the update. I know the -8 has become an iconic plane and that will make the update tricky, but an update will surely come.
Consider that the RV-14 updated the entire construction process to make it easier and quicker to build, anyone interested in that? Anyone want 8 more gallons of gas? How about a slightly wider (1 or 2 inches would do it) fuselage to give you more panel acreage for all the fancy EFIS screens? How about enough room in the back seat for true rudder pedals with brakes so it could be flown from back there? Now that the angle valve 360 and it's variants is the "standard" power plant, the -8's forward CG issues must be dealt with, so the fuselage gets expanded a bit and presto: no CG issues!

Van is a smart guy, think he can resist having the same wing on both new acro capable 2 seaters as well as the 4 seater? Imagine being able to say on the website that it's 1000 hours to completion instead of 1500.

Now, HOW the -8 gets updated is very tricky. Whether the P-51D resemblance was intentional or accidental, it's part of the DNA for the RV-Tandem seater and has to be continued or they'll have lost the magic. The H Stab has to be tapered, not the hershey bar from the -10/-14. The V Stab has to be a touch higher and narrower than the -14 to keep the look. There MUST BE A SLIDER, no other option, but with the engineering that went into the built frame on the -14 tip-up, I bet Van can get up a built-up frame for the -15 that's easier to build and simpler to fit. Personally, I think the straight legs of the -8 look great, far better than the swept-back engine mount legs of the -7: swept back legs scream, "Look how fast I am!", straight legs say, "I don't have to advertise how fast I am, cause you already know." Now, if then can make the gear leg towers less intrusive, wouldn't that be nice?

Of course the -8 is fantastic and the hardcore will hold onto theirs just as fanatically as those lucky enough to have bought a split window Vette will hold onto that. Times change, however, and the new Corvettes sell pretty well; and they're more comfortable, and they ride better, and the AC works, and they start and run without endless maintenance.

I had an -8 kit, had to sell in progress and I'm only recently back to this forum just as the -14 was announced. After moments of admiring the -14, it hit me that the next update HAD to be an update to the -8 and it would be called the RV-15. P-51 backwards? F-15? Too many cosmic start aligning for the RV-15 to be anything but the next fabulous Acro Tandem model from Vans.

Already saving my pennies for builder #150015.

Clay "Cookiemonster" Cook
RV-8 sold in progress.
N515CM reserved

I would like the wings to attach on the outside of the fuse. The landing gear could attach to this stub wing structure, no more gear tower, and slightly wider track. Easier wing install, and easier maintenance.
I would like the back seat to sit taller, so a rear seat pilot could look over or around the front seater easier.

Improve the RV-8

Yeah. I know what you mean. The 8s really need some improvement. I don't see why anyone would buy one. :D:D

donning flame suit :D

Only a tricycle driving, side by side pilot could make such a foolish statement!
Plenty of builders that built a side by side RV first, build an RV-8 as their second build. That just doesn't happen the other way around!

Last edited:
They've already designed a fat-guy RV-3. Just build an RV-7 and put one seat on the centreline instead of two side-by-side :D

- mark

You call it an evolution but I don?t see it that way. I?m building a 7 because it fits my size (5?7 and 150). I had rather have a smaller plane with an IO-360. In my case the complexity of the construction is not a + or -, it?s just what I have to do to get the plane I want! I did a slow build also and not to save money but because I wanted to build the plane. We all have different reasons for the model we choose.

My thinking on this "evolution of the model thing" is that barring the introduction of a new concept (high wing bush plane), Van has a pretty comprehensive line of aircraft here, and he's simply going to keep improving what he's got. The -9 got introduced for non-acro guys, the -10 for big families, and the -12 when LSA appeared; but the -6 going to -7 and then -14, and the -4 becoming the -8 was driven by Van's wanting to improve his production efficiency and ease our construction challenges. The -10 wing is clearly the new standard, acro capable in the -14 and doesn't even require the hanging rig to build it square, so that will migrate to the -15 (which I believe will replace the -8). The "Fat Guy" fuselage of the -14 will also appear in the Tandem -15 both for passenger room and I believe Van will put a fully functional cockpit in the backseat with actual pedals, brakes and all. (BTW, if you really want to see a "Fat Guy" version of something that was once slim, check out the new Camero!) Hanging bigger engines out front requires more plane aft of the CG, so this all sort of comes together and makes sense.

Exactly. :)

I really just need to put my engineering degree to good use and design my own someday. As a retrofit kit for the -6, it might even be marketable...