scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
OK,
I desperately need advice. I just checked into Langley AFB for a 2 year tour, and have been assigned to on-base officer housing. The house has an under-house garage/basement that ROCKS for RV-7A building! However, at 6 feet MSL and surrounded by the Little Back River (at the Chesepeake's mouth), the basement is known to flood by NorEasters and hurricanes (a concern this week from Hurricane Earl).
I need a way to SCRAMBLE my workshop and aircraft parts OUT of the basement when Civil Engineering shows up with sand bags. My thoughts:

-- Tools: They return to the tool chest (on wheels) nightly.
-- Work Benches: EAA standard, but on wheels so I can push them out the big door.
-- Compressor: 30+ wheeled version.
-- Shop appliances (grinder, band saw, etc.): Mounted on wheeled work bench.
-- Assembled aircraft portions: Stay on cradles or the aircraft's wheels.

In case of emergency: Roll them all onto trailer and get them onto high ground.

Is anyone out there dealing with a similar contingency? Am I missing anything? Any advice?

Scroll

I was stationed at Langley in the early 80's. The Little Back River flooded the base two or three times while I was there. It can happen quickly or in the middle of the night or when you are out of town. You may have little or no warning. There are a lot of unused buildings at Langley, most from the old NASA test facilities. You might check with the base civil engineer to see if you could use some space in one.

Thanks, Ron.
So here's the follow-up: Is there any part of a decent RV workshop that *can't* sit on wheels? The weather folks have gotton good enough at forecasting flood-prone wx that I should be able to load it all onto a trailer and boogey it to high ground. Band saw, grinders, etc can mount onto a wheeled work table. Even a small paint booth on wheels. But am I missing anything?

It kills me not to use the space in this house's basement. Tons of room, good lighting, and easy access in/out. Also, I appreciate that working on the aircraft IN the house increases success rates. I'll give the CE CC a call like you suggest, but if I can I want to build it dowstairs.

Thoughts?

Todd,
Hurricane Isabel completely flooded the basements (ie, to the cealing). NorEasters usually put 1-3 feet of water down there.

Thanks, Ron.
So here's the follow-up: Is there any part of a decent RV workshop that *can't* sit on wheels? The weather folks have gotton good enough at forecasting flood-prone wx that I should be able to load it all onto a trailer and boogey it to high ground. Band saw, grinders, etc can mount onto a wheeled work table. Even a small paint booth on wheels. But am I missing anything?

It kills me not to use the space in this house's basement. Tons of room, good lighting, and easy access in/out. Also, I appreciate that working on the aircraft IN the house increases success rates. I'll give the CE CC a call like you suggest, but if I can I want to build it dowstairs.

Thoughts?

Sid, I think you can put it all on wheels. All you need is a trailer or something to put it all in to keep it dry. You don't need to go far. The water seldom gets above the street curbing, but it will fill your basement!

What happens to the wings when they are attached to the jig, or to the fuselage when it is upside down on its jig?

I would not take the risk. Having your pride and joy immersed under several feet of corrosive sea water is definately a show stopper.

Anthony,
I downloaded plans for a wheeled fuselage cradle. I plan to go QB for both the fuselage and wings. Do QB wings come with a cradle that I can modify with wheels?

As I look into this and focus on everything having wheels, I sense I can simply roll it all onto a UHaul van, strap it down, and drive off to high ground.

Best Air force in the world and we can't keep water out of the basement... :confused:

I don't think it is a basement but really the first level which is built on the ground. The houses are built on piers and the walls are either break away or have flood vents. My house is built in a similar fashion but not up high enough to have a full first level.

No, actually, the senior officer houses on Benedict Ave have below-ground basements. The main living level is about 2 feet above lawn level, and the basement is below that. It includes a single-car garage under the house accessed by a drive-down ramp, and the garage has a wide door into which you enter the basement. Stairs take you up to the ground level.

Bottom line: It's PERFECT for building an RV...except for the rare risk of flooding.

I built my RV-8 in my garage with a slab just 4 feet above sea level on the Texas Gulf Coast. The garage had flooded a couple of times before that, about once every three years due to tropical weaethr. I just crossed my fingers and built FAST!

Paul

get a 500 gpm trash pump?

How fast does the water come in during flooding?

keep all parts in storage off-site with the exception of what you are working on, and keep them at least 3 feet off the ground. If it floods you may only need to move a few things quickly. Insurance can take care of the tools.

Copy all.
The house has a new industrial strength sump pump. Copy all on keeping 'in-storage' items high/dry (in fact I may be able to maneuver wing sections up the stairs to the attic since the doors, halls, and stairs are on near-parallal lines).

Gents, you've all been helpful and I have greater confidence that the wheels approach, with scramble into a trailer, will work (with warning, of course).

You might be able to locate the air compressor above flood level and run pipe to the workshop. One less thing to worry about evacuating.

get a 500 gpm trash pump?

How fast does the water come in during flooding?

My thoughts exactly. I would invest in a high-capacity trash pump.

Plan A would be an electric model on a float switch with the outlet pre-plumbed somewhere OK, so you don't have to worry if you're not there when the water comes in, or middle of the night surprise.

Plan B would a gas powered model - good for power failure but it means that "You must be present to win."

Move

Scroll,

Move back to ABQ, 10 million years hurricane free.

BTW: Canopy and panel are on, now wiring up the panel, pretty kewl.

Say hi to the fam

Grigson,
I hadn't thought of high-mounting the compressor, and that's definitely a doable approach (albeit it'd have to go from 3rd floor attic down to -1 floor basement...maybe a line out the window, down the wall and through a ground-access window). I'm on it. Thanks...brilliant!

Airguy,
The AF pimped this old historical home's basement with a Liberty Model 405 1/2 HP sump pump. It really makes a racket when it kicks off.....WHOOOSH!
However, it pumps into the sewer....which fills at the same rate as the basement whenever the NorEasters or hurricanes hit. Still, it serves to buy me time before the sewers and basements become overwhelmed. I'm bloody well glad it's there.

Bugsy,
That's great news on the panel, and congrats on a successful 'big cut'. When's first start/flight? Fam sez 'hi' back, and same to yours. BTW, What the heck is going on out there at Kirtland!? I'll call you DSN tomorrow.

Scroll

Sump Pump workout

It did, although I didn't have a flooding problem. I did have about 10 seperate riverettes of ground water seeping from my walls, draining across the floor directly into the center drain. The sump pump ran about once every 5 minutes, WHOOSHING away the water to God only knows where.

I'm sticking with my 'everything on wheels' plan, and ordering tools and empennage Monday (or Tuesday if Isham and the Mother Ship are closed for Columbus Day).

Scroll