John, I couldn't find the acticle on glass, but as a former crop duster I noted with interest the report on a fatal Air Tractor crash. Stall/spin, and the pilot had 27,000 TT with 5,000 in type! There's a sobering thought. None of us is immune to a stall/spin, perhaps especially the guy/gal who thinks it can't happen to them because of their many full logbooks. I don't want to sound preachy, but it is always a good idea to remember that Ol' Betsy could kill you today.

Thanks for reminding me to go practice spins (got the accelerated stalls out of the way the other day in a dogfight...). :p

Stephen Lindberg said:
snipped

None of us is immune to a stall/spin, perhaps especially the guy/gal who thinks it can't happen to them because of their many full logbooks. I don't want to sound preachy, but it is always a good idea to remember that Ol' Betsy could kill you today.

Most of us here, have already heard of this recent RV aircraft accident on this forum.

This just released NTSB report certainly fits the context of stall/spin awareness:

NTSB Identification: DEN07LA108
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, June 25, 2007 in Greeley, CO
Aircraft: Schwarz RV-6A, registration: N94KA
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On June 25, 2007, approximately 1145 mountain daylight time, a Schwarz RV-6A single-engine experimental airplane, N94KA, was destroyed when it impacted terrain during a loss of control while maneuvering in the traffic pattern at Greeley-Weld County Airport (GXY), Greeley, Colorado. The private pilot and passenger sustained fatal injuries. The airplane was registered to LPV LLC, Denver, Colorado, and operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The flight departed the Erie Municipal Airport, Erie, Colorado, approximately 1130, and was destined for GXY.

According to a witness, he observed the airplane on a "close and tight" downwind leg for runway 34 at an altitude of approximately 400 feet above ground level. While on the downwind leg, the airplane was in "slow flight in a nose high attitude." The witness observed the airplane enter a steep left turn from the downwind to base leg. The airplane's wings rolled level and the airplane began porpoise. During the porpoise, the witness noted hearing changes to the engine power. The airplane then entered another steep left turn with the wings almost vertical to terrain. The witness observed the "nose pitch up and the right wing stall." Subsequently, the airplane entered a spin (1.5 rotations) and impacted terrain. The witness stated that during his observation "the engine was operating under power the entire time."

The airplane came to rest in grass terrain adjacent to a drainage ditch approximately 1/2 mile from the threshold of runway 34, and was destroyed by post impact fire. The wreckage was recovered to the facilities of Beegles Aircraft Service, Inc., Greeley, Colorado, for further examination.

At 1155, the GXY automated weather observing system (AWOS) reported the wind from 110 degrees at 3 knots, visibility 5 statute miles, sky clear, temperature 32 degrees Celsius, dew point 12 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting of 29.95 inches of Mercury.

This is mostly directed at low time pilots like myself, but I suppose anybody could benefit. If you've never read "stick and Rudder", you definitely should. It's old, but this might actually be a good thing, since it is devoted to flying the wing rather than navigating, communicating, etc. In order to bring a never-been-in-a-small-plane guy like me up to speed, my CFI had to teach me ten billion things that have almost nothing to do with actual flight. In hindsight, I don't think enough time was spent actually sorting out how to keep it flying. You're given a bunch of speeds and angles to remember, but not enough about seat-of-the-pants sensations. I would also advise anybody with an interest to do an acro or unusual attitudes course as a butt-sensitizing exercise.