Daddyman58

After the elation of completing my RV-6A build, I am discouraged to find that I cannot get insurance.
Even property liability & property damage.
I'm getting "no we won't quote" because I had a crash 20 months ago.

Throughout this entire build, I've faced a series of small obstacles that required re-thinking, or help from others.
I'm told through a broker that I need a period of 3-5 years before they would even consider me.
After 41 years of flying, this would be a crappy way to exit aviation.

Perhaps someone out there has a work-around?

Daddyman

This is a tough place to be and one I fear will become more common as insurers tighten the market. I've seen cases where a partnership has been formed with an insurable pilot that can fly as PIC while the uninsured partner is able to share seat time. Some owners self-insure the hull but that leaves huge liability exposure and difficulties with securing a hangar on a public airport.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy your new RV-6A, don't give up until all options have been explored.

After the elation of completing my RV-6A build, I am discouraged to find that I cannot get insurance.
Even property liability & property damage.
I'm getting "no we won't quote" because I had a crash 20 months ago.

Throughout this entire build, I've faced a series of small obstacles that required re-thinking, or help from others.
I'm told through a broker that I need a period of 3-5 years before they would even consider me.
After 41 years of flying, this would be a crappy way to exit aviation.

Perhaps someone out there has a work-around?

Daddyman
Have you tired Falcon Insurance? ‭(866) 647-4322‬. Talk to Laura.

Is this where I say to call Gallagher?

Seriously though. I had an incident in my first year of ownership. I feared being canceled or homeless when the renewal came due. Yah, I paid a little higher prememium but it wasn't all that bad.

You may have to “self insure” (take 100% of the risk) until you meet their seemingly arbitrary minimums. I always advocate transition training in type and education. Regardless of how you insure, it will make you a better pilot, and owner

Insurance is not a requirement.

if you have another accident where you are liable, consider how your assets are structured. Cash in bank easy to sue for, retirement funds not as easy in my state (they are protected_.

Insurance is not a requirement.

$100k/$300k liability insurance is required by this state in order to own an airplane here, and my airport requires insurance in order to lease a hangar or “utilize FBO services”. State statute doesnt provide for non-insurance bond in lieu.

Yet another reason not to let your state start mandating *state* registration of aircraft (they're already registered with, and title information held by, the federal government). Looks like, e.g., Minnesota laws require registration, and the registration requirements include insurance.

Yet another reason not to let your state start mandating *state* registration of aircraft (they're already registered with, and title information held by, the federal government). Looks like, e.g., Minnesota laws require registration, and the registration requirements include insurance.
I'm sure Minnesota sees it as a revenue hook, although they only get $100/year for such registration and there is no property tax. Out of interest, I ran it through ChatGTP: One can question the accuracy...I note that Virginia isn't listed

IMG_1531.jpeg

I'm sure Minnesota sees it as a revenue hook, although they only get $100/year for such registration and there is no property tax. Out of interest, I ran it through ChatGTP: One can question the accuracy...I note that Virginia isn't listed

View attachment 68997
I dont think this correct. I’m in California and no one has ever told me I need insurance or asked me to provide any proof of insurance. Don’t know anything about the other states.

I dont think this correct. I’m in California and no one has ever told me I need insurance or asked me to provide any proof of insurance. Don’t know anything about the other states.
I’m in Livermore (KLVK) and every year they ask for proof of liability coverage with the city also named.

Kim
if you are at Santa Barbara airport then read on:

REQUIRED INSURANCE LIMITS AND INDEMNITY
Licensee shall provide liability insurance coverage and indemnification of the City as required by these Rules and Regulations and the License Agreement. Minimum insurance coverage and limits shall be:
General Liability Insurance with limits of not less than One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) for each occurrence combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage.
Automobile Liability Insurance with limits of not less than One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) each occurrence combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage.

Kim

Licensee shall provide liability insurance coverage and indemnification of the City as required by these Rules and Regulations and the License Agreement. Minimum insurance coverage and limits shall be:
General Liability Insurance with limits of not less than One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) for each occurrence combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage.
Automobile Liability Insurance with limits of not less than One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) each occurrence combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage.

Kim

I’m not at SBA, but it looks like that is a rule specific to hangar occupancy at SBA rather than a universal requirement for planes in California

I’m not at SBA, but it looks like that is a rule specific to hangar occupancy at SBA rather than a universal requirement for planes in California
Pretty much all public airports in California have insurance requirements. So I does not matter if it's state or your county/city
mandated, for all practical purposes...